PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool #90201?

Just Duke
04-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Anyone use a RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool #90201? The new model with the square tray.
Any problems?

Wayne Smith
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Have one. Just got it this month so I have only used it for about 200 primers, two cases, 45ACP and 45 S&W. Love it so far, no problems at all except that the cover and tray are initially hard to separate. However, my old RCBS hand primer cover and tray are so loose they allow small primers to turn over. This after years of use. Tight is good. Gotta call RCBS.

W.R.Buchanan
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
My experience is the same as Wayne, except I have loaded about 1000 rounds with mine.

If you twist the case as you are inserting it into the case holder it makes it easier to get in.

I like mine and had to get it to replace my aging Lee single step model I have had since 1971.

It is way faster as it has the feed tray right there and you don't have to handle the primers one at a time. and no shell holders to buy.

I load mainly .30 cals, 44's and .45-70's with it. All of my auto pistol rounds get primed on the progressives but they could also be done with this tool just as quickly as the rifle rounds are done. I can do 50 rifle cases in about 4-5 minutes.

You do need to have a "grip" as that is what motivates this tool. People with arthritis in their hands might have trouble, but that's why they make lever operated tools.

There is only about 88 different priming tools available, something out there for everyone.

So far mine is a good tool. I expect it to last the rest of my life easily.

Randy

doulos
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
I have one of the universal RCBS handprimers and still prefer the RCBS hand primer that needs shell holders. Its smoother and easier to use. After using both for a while now I would lead someone to get the older style.

altheating
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I stopped using the old style RCBS and use the Universal RCBS priming tool. Threw away the Lee priming tool. What a *** that was. I probably have seated 10,000 primers with the new RCBS tool. I love not having to switch shell holders. From 22 Hornet to 350 Rem, it works well with them all. Just my 2 cents worth.

flashhole
04-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Did you take a look at the newest Lee tool? Much more robust than the old tool.

340six
04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Anyone use a RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool #90201? The new model with the square tray.
Any problems?

No problems at all love it

M4bushy
04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
I have one also, the only issue i've had is one primer got flipped over in the tray. I was real exciting when the primer went off while seating it!

Reload3006
04-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I have one like it but occasionally it will allow a primer to flip sideways or upside down good solid unit and easy to use no longer need shell holders. Just pay attention to what your doing and its a good tool.

Just Duke
04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Mine arrived. Works very well. [smilie=w:
Thanks for the info gents.

handyman25
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I have one and really like it. I let my friend use it and he said I got to get one of these. He purchased the LEE because it was cheaper, after about 200 cases he said "I wish I had spent the extra money and purchased the RCBS".

209jones
04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I have an RCBS, haven't used it yet, as the last thing I was priming was a 450/400, too big for it. I picked up a 21st century tool for the Lee round tray also. That tool is nice to use. I looked at the Lee stuff I had around and decided I may as well get that or toss all the Lee tool pcs and the shellholders. Bit of a damned if you do and damned if you don't. I had a Hornady unit for about a week, it went in the garbage.
Was so poorly finished it was a shame, I should have sent it back, but, I tried to fix it first, and ran out of patience with it finally.

flashhole
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
My experience with Hornady customer service (two occasions) was bad. You may not have gotten any satisfaction going that route so don't beat yourself up too badly.

Edit: My experience with Hornady customer service pi$$ed me off so bad I have been purging my bench and reloading component inventory of anything Hornady. Almost there ... :)

gefiltephish
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
My first universal worked so well I got a second one so I'd have one each for large and small primers. The 2nd one came without the spring that squeezes the case. The little tool is too big for the small seater pin. RCBS send a spring right away. The tool that came with the first unit works fine, so I just use that.

I gave my Lee *** to my mother to re-prime for x-ring bullets.

hunter64
04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I bought one last year and used for about 300 rounds and it worked great. Reason I bought it was I was tired of the priming system on the lee *** I was running. I found a great deal on a Dillon 550 machine and the RCBS hand primer has been sitting idle ever since. Guess I should sell it someday to someone who can use it, lol.