PDA

View Full Version : Base Mounting Question...

BCB
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Just curious…

A friend of mine has a Model 141 (I think that is what it is—pump rifle in 35 Remington)…

The base (a one-piece base) of the ‘scope mount is screwed into the receiver as well as to the barrel…

Is this a standard procedure for bases to be put on the receiver and the barrel?...

I’ve never seen that, or at least I don’t think I have ever seen that done…

Thanks…BCB

Molly
04-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Just curious…

A friend of mine has a Model 141 (I think that is what it is—pump rifle in 35 Remington)…

The base (a one-piece base) of the ‘scope mount is screwed into the receiver as well as to the barrel…

Is this a standard procedure for bases to be put on the receiver and the barrel?...

I’ve never seen that, or at least I don’t think I have ever seen that done…

Thanks…BCB

It's not considered good practice, especially if you want good accuracy. But it's not unworkable if all you want to do is hit a deer in the chest at 50 yards, which is the usual home field for the .35 Remington.

Junior1942
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
A pump 35 Rem? That's thicket heaven!

BCB
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
A pump 35 Rem? That's thicket heaven!

Reckon so...

He actually has 2 of them...

The one with the 'scope can not get on target. He runs out of adjustment with the 'scope. It is a cheaper 'scope so maybe a more expensive one might have more vertical adjustment...

That is why I asked the question concerning the base mounting procedure as I suppose that could affect adjustment some...

BCB

Tokarev
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I too ran out of windage with a Nikon scope on a Mossberg cantilever 12ga rifled barrel.
The cheap Burris weaver rings helped a lot - a kind that has screws on both sides and allows to adjust windage on the ring.

Molly
04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Reckon so...

He actually has 2 of them...

The one with the 'scope can not get on target. He runs out of adjustment with the 'scope. It is a cheaper 'scope so maybe a more expensive one might have more vertical adjustment...

That is why I asked the question concerning the base mounting procedure as I suppose that could affect adjustment some...

BCB

Ah! That's an easy fix: Just slip some shimstock under one of the mounts and re-tighten. It'll be the front mount unless I miss my guess. How thick a shim will depend on how much error there is. I'd suggest trying to shim it with paper and/or thin cardboard until a boresighter indicates you have some adjustment to spare. Then measure the thickness of the paper and buy your shimstock accordingly.

danski26
04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
First off there is no "normal" scope mount for a model 14 or 141 as they normaly do not have scopes on them. They are drilled and tapped for a reciever sight and have the front and rear iron sights factory installed.

VERY difficult to get consistency with a scope base mounted one side on the reciever and one on the barrel. There is going to be some movement and there for binding between the two parts.