PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Range.577

seawolfjack
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello, took my snider to the range today with a new load. What a disappointment!!! Couldn't hit the broad side of the barn--any barn. Did the big NO-NO, I changed bullet size and powder charge and paid the price for doing it. Was shooting 2-3 feet high at 100 yds and was very irradic. I think I do need to go to a different bullet also. Oh well back to the drawing board. Hey dromia, the Snider I have has this on the side plate; Manufactore Liebloise
Dearmesatlu
Societe Anony
LIEGE
I'm not sure but I think it might be Belgium, Its rear sight is 4and one eight inches foward of the reciever. Has that mark that I think is a cyrsanthimum and behind it there seems to be a Japanese figure in a circle like on the 38s and 99s. Big bore also, 583-585. I have another Snider conversion that was one of those Zulu shotguns, that's the one with no markings at all. looks like someone put acid where the name was. Have fun

dnepr
04-02-2007, 06:41 PM
this sound like the typical first outing with a Snider. Mine is still a safe queen so I haven't been through this yet but I have looked into it a bit. Here is a good website to find ideas for making thing work with the Snider.
http://p223.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums
I have learned a lot by reading what is there .

JeffinNZ
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Let's have some numbers.

Powder granulation and charge.
Bullet pattern, diameter and alloy.

They can do OK but the wrong combination will have you removing your hair.

seawolfjack
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I'll look up that site dnepr for sure, can't learn enough. I was loading 55 gr of Pyrodex Cartridge powder and increased it to 70gr. was shooting 585 bullet but i went today with a 583. I'm using a 20 Ga shotgun slug. It does keyhole with either powder charge, nice round holes. I guess thats why we all do this stuff; if we ain't already crazy this sure can make ya that way. Have fun

martinibelgian
04-03-2007, 05:24 AM
If you're shooting a 3-band, 3-groove, slow-twist snider, then your bullets are way too heavy - you will need something shorter and lighter, in the order of 400 - 480 grs. some even use a round ball at around .590 - .595 with fair success. Which brings us to bullet diameter: most sniders shoot best with .590- .595, unless you use a Minie with plug to expand the skirt. But get over to that site, you'll learn whatever you need in short order...

seawolfjack
04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys, I have a 2 band short rifle I didn't think about the rate of twist thanks Martin. Have Fun

JeffinNZ
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Now why would you shoot a 20g slug in a Snider?

The Sniders that I have seen shoot the best are loaded with a big FAT minie. By fat I mean .580-.585. Martin has the right idea. Fat is better.

Also the heavier the charge the thicker the skirt on said minie needs to be as a thin shirt with blow almost inside out on exit from the barrel over a big charge. Lyman have numerous variations.

55-60gr of 2Fg should be fine for most minies.

Much debates exists over lubing either the hollow base or the grooves or both of minies. I say try it and see.

Best of luck.

seawolfjack
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey thanks Jeff. I've been looking around on the Snider pages and have read most every post thats there. A lot of good info. I'm not a black powder shooter, just stating out but I enjoy shooting old military rifles, so this 2 band snider is really my first military bp. I have shot ml bp before but not a lot. I'm going to keep going with this till I get it to shoot the way I want it to.
Have Fun

seawolfjack
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Hello, I also have one of those Zulu Shotguns that I fixed up. I'm thinking of putting a 45-70 barrel inside the shogun barrel and having a 45-70 snider action. Got nothing to loose. Have Fun

fourarmed
04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
One of the strangest shotguns I ever saw was in Lindy's Army Store in Manhattan, Ks. back in the 60's. It was a Zulu trap gun. Somebody had taken a Zulu and installed a vent rib, built up the comb of the stock, put on an adjustable recoil pad, and blued it. IIR, they wanted $100 for it. At the time that would have bought a new 870.

seawolfjack
04-04-2007, 12:25 PM
This thing was in real bad shape so my friend had two and he gave it to me. A lot of rust and a broken front part of the stock. I had a 45 cal. bp barrel I was going to turn down on my lathe and put it inside the shotgun barrel and have myself a Zulu 45-70 breech loader, but maybe the bp barrels twist will be to slow so i need to investgate a lot more. To me it's just a lot of fun. Have Fun

macvcallsign
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Regarding the CYRSANTHIMUM proof mark on your snider, there were a large number of them exported to japan in the 1880's I believe. I have seen a number of them but not with the Belgium markings on the lock. I own a 2 band with the japanese proofs and it does have a smaller bore than the usual .590/.595. I would find some .585Minie's and try those. Lyman use to make a 585213, RCBS makes molds in the .580/584 range but they are pricie. Good Luck

seawolfjack
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey thanks for the info Macvcallsign. I think there is a Japanese Number behind the flower. I've slugged the bore and I was shooting .585 but now I'm going to try .583. I was wondering how these other fellows were shooting .590's. They wouldn't go down my barrel. Like I said earlier I only paid $20 for it and I'm really having fun shooting it. It's not the prettiest one out there but it shoots. Have Fun

Baron von Trollwhack
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Some of the 20 gauge currently loaded "Foster" type, "ballet" looking hollow base, dimpled round nose shotgun slugs measure .575". Shoot pretty good in a XX full .580 constricted choke too. BvT