PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Cutters

max range
04-02-2012, 11:28 PM
My brother in law has an idle farm machine shop and took a look at my old Lee Pan Lube kits and said he could make up a couple of dozen pairs of the lube cutters in .38/.357 and .45 LC/ACP.

He retired from the Aircraft Production field where he was a tool maker. I have seen his work and he is a perfectionist. The good part is that there is not a one year wait. He is going to make a pair, I will post pics (I have a new camera now) and welcome your opinions.
If there is any interest he will make up a bunch. I am tired of using the substandard HFT hole punchers for the calibers I do not have a Lee pan lube kit for.

Green Frog
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
My brother in law has an idle farm machine shop and took a look at my old Lee Pan Lube kits and said he could make up a couple of dozen pairs of the lube cutters in .38/.357 and .45 LC/ACP.

He retired from the Aircraft Production field where he was a tool maker. I have seen his work and he is a perfectionist. The good part is that there is not a one year wait. He is going to make a pair, I will post pics (I have a new camera now) and welcome your opinions.
If there is any interest he will make up a bunch. I am tired of using the substandard HFT hole punchers for the calibers I do not have a Lee pan lube kit for.

I think I have both of those... I'm at work now but will check this afternoon. Please send me an e-mail to < gfrog53 AT yahoo DOT com > and I'll arrange something.

Froggie

IIJSavoy
04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing what you come up with...in both the .38 and .45 caliber. Haven't solved the bullet lube part of casting and just about ready to.

gbrown
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
What would be neat (in my estimation) would be something that would hold a standard clip on shell holder--Lee, RCBS, etc., that you could interchange an expanded cartridge (the user's own manufacture) so you could have any kake cutter you cast and shoot.

Roger Ronas
04-04-2012, 10:14 PM
^ I agree

Green Frog
04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Maxx, did you get my second e-mail?

Froggie

Ben
04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Max,

I , for one, would be interested in seeing photos of what he can make.

Ben

Buckshot
04-06-2012, 02:30 AM
http://www.fototime.com/B2166A90FBCACE8/standard.jpg

................Like these?

..............Buckshot

IIJSavoy
04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Like what? Is there supposed to be a picture to comment on?

Dark Helmet
04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I had to right click and click on show picture to see them. Look a lot better than the mangled up case thing I made.

Green Frog
04-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Too purty, Buck! ;)

Maxx, Lee & Lyman cutters inbound. :)

Looking forward to following progress on this project. :coffeecom

Froggie

Roger Ronas
04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Very nice Buckshot.
Is that something you sell? Details?

Roger

http://www.fototime.com/B2166A90FBCACE8/standard.jpg

................Like these?

..............Buckshot

slide
04-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I bought two of Buck's kutters so far. They are great.

John Boy
04-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Those a nice looking Cookie Cutters for those that use them.
I started out years ago using them and found quickly, they are not needed - for any caliber in the pan.
Put the cake in the refrigerator and when the bottom of the pan is slightly warm to the touch ... and the cake is not adhered to the edges of the pan, it's time to remove the bullets.

Click the bottom of the pan and the cake will shake loose. Place the cake on a strong piece of Styrofoam, push the top of the bullet with your thumb (I use a piece of leather under the thumb) and you'll hear a snap indicating the bullet has freed up in the cake. Now, the bullets will gravity drop with a little inducement

The key is - the bottom of the pan has to be slightly warm to the touch. If it is cold - Cookie Cutter Time!

And as an FYI - I lube 540gr BPCR bullets called 'Mini Grooves' All the shallow GG's are completely filled not using a cutter

Longwood
04-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Those are nice cutters indeed.
I hate sore thumbs so I tried making my own cookie cutter and now have two.
One with an ejector, one without.
I advise a large end, so it does not make your hands sore when doing several hundred bullets.

IIJSavoy
04-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Now those are really nice....

Why is it you always see something you want right around tax time...

Sonnypie
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Now those are really nice....

Why is it you always see something you want right around tax time...

Not Me.
I saw I owed them this time. :shock::veryconfu:cry:

But thems is purdy, Buckshot! :bigsmyl2:

leadbutt
04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Id like to see one that can cut out several boolits before you have to do anything to it to get the boolits out. I seen then ones that ppl make out of spent casings with pushrods but they look seriously time consuming.

L. Bottoms

Longwood
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
The two piece one will cut out about five bullets before it needs to be dumped.
Before I use the push out one again, I am going to make a bigger button for the end of the plunger.
I use these for 45-70 and 45 bullets.

Longwood
04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Id like to see one that can cut out several boolits before you have to do anything to it to get the boolits out. I seen then ones that ppl make out of spent casings with pushrods but they look seriously time consuming.

L. Bottoms

One nice thing about the plunger type is the bullets can be stood up on end and I never have to touch them until the lube sets up.
I am experimenting with storing bullets in the pans of lube and only cutting them as I load them.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I just cut the base of the cartridge case off. About the third one I Kutt out they start oozing out the top. Can't be much simpler than that...

Rich

leadbutt
04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
I just cut the base of the cartridge case off. About the third one I Kutt out they start oozing out the top. Can't be much simpler than that...

Rich

yea... something like that with a handle and a catcher.

L. Bottoms

Ultravox
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I actually made my own last night.

http://timf.anansi-web.com/images/20120422_bullet_lubing/09_handle.jpg

I made a blog post (http://timf.anansi-web.com/serendipity/archives/934-Adventures-in-Pan-Lubing-Boolits.html) about how I did it.

04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Ultravox - very nice tutorial. Thanks