PDA

View Full Version : Case polishing media

Molly
04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, I finally wore out the crushed walnut hulls I've been using for tumbling media, and by sheer chance stumbled across crushed walnut hulls in a pet store of all places. It's sold as bedding material.

I picked up a bag and took it home. But when I opened it, I found that the crushing was very fine indeed. Particles are about the size of grains of sand or sawdust. My first reaction was 'Good! That won't plug up the flash holes like my older stuff did. Second reaction was to wonder if it would be really effective in my vibratory tumbler.

So has anyone tried the really fine stuff? I'd appreciate a performance report if you have. And does anyone have any suggestions for an abrasive to add that will speed up the cleaning / polishing effect? I don't really need mirror bright cases, so would be wiling to trade a little shine for reduced processing time. Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone?

mold maker
04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
If what you found was Lizzard bedding, I get it from Petco and have used it for years. The results are great, with little dust or mess. I add a couple spoons full of NuFinish car polish.
Brass holds its shin for years, and dry finger prints dont bother it.
For a really knockout shine an additional hour in cob with NuFinish hurts your eyes out doors.

Molly
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I think so. Mine was billed as 'reptile bedding' IIRC. Not familiar with NuFinish. Is that a WalMart sourced material, or a parts store like AutoZone?

doctorggg
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
WalMart seels it. I am tumbling brass in corn cob media right this minute with Nufinsh and the cases really shine. It's in an orange bottle.

Molly
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
WalMart seels it. I am tumbling brass in corn cob media right this minute with Nufinsh and the cases really shine. It's in an orange bottle.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. How do you mix it in? Can you just drop in the tumbler with the cases, or do I need to knead it in like biscuit dough?

Mk42gunner
04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
When I think to use it with new media, I put about one capful of Nu finish in the media and let it run for about an hour before I put cases in to clean and polish. It does improve the shine a bit.

The current bag of lizard bedding I am using will still occasionally clog flash holes, but is a lot easier to remove than the larger stuff.

Robert

Molly
04-04-2012, 12:11 AM
When I think to use it with new media, I put about one capful of Nu finish in the media and let it run for about an hour before I put cases in to clean and polish. It does improve the shine a bit.

The current bag of lizard bedding I am using will still occasionally clog flash holes, but is a lot easier to remove than the larger stuff.

Robert

I gotcha'. Thanks. I'll go see if I can find the stuff tomorrow.

LUBEDUDE
04-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I was using the Lizard litter as well, from Petsmart in 25 lb bags, but they stopped carrying it. :x

Pete P
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I have been using the walnut bird cage stuff from Petco. It is small in size too.

handyman25
04-06-2012, 12:19 AM
My independent pet store carries it and cheaper than the big box stores. Add the Nu Finish, better shine and medium lasts longer.