PDA

View Full Version : New Prairie Dog Rifle

Uncle R.
04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I brought the new rifle home yesterday - it's a .22-250 Savage 12BVSS. It's big, it's heavy, and it's homely as only a Savage can be. :)
The accu-trigger is nothing short of awesome. It's easily the best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever known. I'd guess it's around two pounds and crisp as ice. Beautiful!
The Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 is on the shelf already, and the rings and bases should be here tomorrow. There are 500 cases on order and I'll break in the barrel with two boxes of Federal Premium Nosler B-T ammo while I wait for brass delivery.
Ahhhh... there's nothing like the hopeful anticipation of a new rifle...
:)
Anyone have a favorite j-word varmint load for .22-250 they'd like to share?
Uncle R.

sundog
04-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Uncle R., you seem a little excited. I put a 14 twist Shilen on a 700 with a Swift 6.5-20 (that's what it had when I got it). My break in was using new Nolser brass, Midway 55 gr Dogtown bullets (that's what I have on hand and they were cheap), and surp 2230-C (load like 2460). I think it was about 34.0 grains. Like I said, all break in and fire forming the brass. It was scary accurate. Yesterday at the Tulsa Show I picked up some 55 gr Hdy V-Max so I can get a better idea what this thing will do out to 200 and 300 now that the bbl is broke in and brass is formed. I'll probably just continue with 2230-C, because I already have it, and it seems to work okay (and it's cheap). I have a feeling that just about any of the 'in range' powders will work and seating depth will make more difference than anything. But, hey, what do I know? Try them all, and report back. Make sure you have a bullet length (weight) commensurate with your twist.

pdawg_shooter
04-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I have been shooting a 112 in .223 for years. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned!

versifier
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Uncle R,
I would point you in the direction of Sierra 55gr GameKings, either SBT or HPBT, and IMR 3031.

Pat I.
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
You made an excellent choice for your #2 PD rifle. I think you'll really learn to love the look of your new Savage once you shoot it. Can't see why you'd call the 112 BVSS homely to start with though, it's a pretty sharp looking rifle to my eyes.

You shouldn't have trouble finding recommended loads with a little search, there's tons of them out there.

Pat

Pat

dk17hmr
04-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I find Savage centerfires actually nice looking. The laminet stocks are pretty nice, my dad has a Single Shot 223 112bvss pre accu-trigger. Great rifle, I have my long shot kill with that rifle, 560 yards on a p-dog in Montana. Shooting 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips at close to 3100fps, she will print a 10 shot group at 100 yards less around .5" sometimes it opens up to .6". By far the most accurate out of the Factory Box rifle I have ever laid my grubby hands on.

First time we went to shoot p-dogs, my dads buddy gave me a 22-250 to use on the trip, his was a heavy Winchester 70 with a high dollar scope, it was alright but about 10 rounds into the dog town we had to put it down and let it cool for 10 minutes before we could start shooting again so accuracy was back. The 223 went for about 150 rounds and then had to put it down for a while. For long shots yea the 22-250 is great but volume I would take a 223 any day.

Gotta love those Savages though.

Uncle R.
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
. The 223 went for about 150 rounds and then had to put it down for a while. For long shots yea the 22-250 is great but volume I would take a 223 any day.

Yeah, I believe that you're on track. I wouldn't go with just a .22-250 but (as Pat noted) it's my #2 rifle. I expect that the .223 will do the bulk of the shooting but the .22-250 is for cool-down periods on the .223 - and for the really long shots. I'm a complete beginner a p-dogging but I have an experienced friend who's giving me advice. He would agree with you - he says "You'll do most of your shooting with the .223 but you want at least one more rifle..."

Pat - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Savage 110s would be way down my list just for the lines and shape of the action itself. Still - I'm a firm believer that form follows function. Performance is everything, and if this new rifle can put five holes within a half inch at two hundred yards I'll be smiling every time I look at it!
:-D
Uncle R.

rvpilot76
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Just a quick question. Why are you breaking in the barrel with premium ammo? Get the cheap stuff!

Kevin

Buckshot
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM
...............I sure have no problem with the way Savages look. People get hung up on the barrel nut I suppose. It has one of the finest trigger - bolt handle placements there is and the safety is right under your thumb where it belongs. I bought my M112 single shot in 1992. It's a 223 and would do for anything short of pro class benchrest.

After doing load developement I felt I had to see if I could go 4,000 fps :-) Yup I can. Used a Sierra 40gr JHP. A little above 3800 fps groups started to open. Finaled out at an average of 4075 fps and 5 shot groups at 100 yards were running an inch. The actions are very stiff, especially the single shots, and the new ones with the ejection port on the left are even moreso.

When I bought mine I added a Harris bi-pod, a Tasco 8 - 24 x 44 scope and mounts, a set of RCBS match dies and several boxes of Sierra bullets and STILL didn't pay as much as a Ruger Varminter would have cost :-)

..................Buckshot

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I have a 112J 22-250 from the middle 80's, T16 Weaver. Best day on groundhogs, two witnessed 400yd called headshots, will it shoot????????????
Nick