PDA

View Full Version : Questions about bullet imperfections

336A
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I bought a box of commercial cast .411" SWCBB bullets a while back and noticed some imperfections. What I occasionaly find are what appear be wrinkles at various locations. Usually it is on the the first driving band but I've seen it on the second driving band as well. I've never seen this on other commercial cast bullets I purchased in the past. What is the likely cause of these imperfections and how could they affect accuracy?

375RUGER
04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
if the base is good and clean so the boolit exits the muzzle clean then wrinkles on the driving bands probably don't hurt anything.
I've gotten wrinkles from a cold mold or alloy or contamination in the cavity.

GP100man
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
My wrinkled if on the bands go into the plinkin batch , but the sad part is I can`t shoot good`nuff to tell the difference !!!

Good bases means a good seal also !

Love Life
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I have never been able to tell a difference accuracy wise between boolits with perfect fill out and ones with a wrinkle in the nose or on the driving band when shooting pistols.

sixshot
04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Agree, the bullet base is the most important. Just as a test, take 5 of the ones with the wrinkles & shoot a group with them at 20 yds & do the same with 5 of the perfect ones, you probably won't see a bit of difference.
For those of us that cast our own its not a problem to just plunk them back in with the sprues........or shoot them. Also, don't be concerned if the lube groove/grooves or completely full, with todays excellent lubes its not as important as it was back in Elmers day. You can actually use too much lube.

Dick

rintinglen
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
The best part of shooting wrinkled boolits is that it gives you a ready excuse when a shot goes awry. If the boolit was perfect it must be you, but if it's not...