PDA

View Full Version : Happy but Puzzled

grullaguy
04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
A number of months ago, I bought a well used Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle. I considered I got a good deal for the condition the rifle was in. It was configured as a caplock but also came with a flintlock, and several cut and knapped flints. There was a touch hole liner with the spare parts which also came in the package, but it was the wrong size.

I shot the rifle quite a bit as a percussion gun as I waited for the new touch hole liner to come in the mail. The rifle always printed 3" right and 4" high at 50 yrds. I got pretty good using Kentucky windage on trail walks as the sights are not adjustable.

Finally the new touch hole arrived and the frizzen got an introduction to Kasenite.
I did a trail walk with my converted flintlock and could not hit a thing. I guessed that I was flinching.

Back shooting off the bench, I mastered my slight flinch. The big surprise to me was that the rifle now shoots dead on and 1" low at 50 yards.
Can changing from percussion to flint change the point of impact or do you folks think that something in my shooting technique has changed?

Boerrancher
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
New barrel, new sight alignment. Start bumping your powder charge up until your impact is around an inch high at around 75 yards. If you are shooting a near max load file the front site blade down a bit at a time until it is hitting an inch high at 75 yds. I sa 75 because an inch high zero at tat distance will let you take deer sized game as far out as a person has any business shooting with a patched round ball in a front stuffer

grullaguy
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Same barrel, same sights.
All that was changed was the drum to touch hole and a different lock.

I can now change it back and forth between percussion and flint in a few minutes.

mooman76
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
My educated guess would be that by changing over to flintlock your your erganomics have now changed on how you fire the gun. It would fire ever so lightly different maybe a few thousandths of a second faster or slower.

stronics
04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Sometimes it just isn't explainable. I had a Colt Detective Special 2" barrel that would hit 6" high and 4" right at 10yds. All my other pistols were dead on. My shooting buddy, who is an excellent pistol shooter, for him it would hit to point of aim. I tried all kind of different holds, he coached me, no difference. My favorite handgun is a Smith 629 that is like a rifle for me. Go figure.
David

El Bango
04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
You are now more aware of the "flinchlock"goin' off and have actually correctd the most basic mistake of most shooters.....not following through with the shot.Michael

grullaguy
04-03-2012, 08:08 PM
You are now more aware of the "flinchlock"goin' off and have actually correctd the most basic mistake of most shooters.....not following through with the shot.Michael

I also think so.

Now to take out my other guns and see if I have to adjust the sights on them.:bigsmyl2:

Hanshi
04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Using the same powder charge mine showed no difference between cap & flint. If your does you can adjust the charge to regulate the two.