PDA

View Full Version : storing molds

happyhunter
04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Newbie here,
just got into casting. I know rust is bad for molds. How should I store them so they do not rust? What is the best way to get them ready for use when I pull them out of storage?

Thanks,
HH

Ola
04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
That depends on the climate. Here in northern Europe the air is dry enough that I've never had issues with rusting. Even when I did not store my iron molds properly.

One way is to clean the mold immediately, spray some WD-40 on and put the mold in a glass jar with tight lid.
When you pull it out of storage you have to get rid of the preservative (WD-40) with break cleaner or other solvent.

btw. use the "search" to find more info..

Huntducks
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Have no clue were you live some of you seem to be afraid to list what state you live in.

Here in SoCal I just put all my iron molds back in the mold cabinet after they cool off.

John Boy
04-02-2012, 01:45 PM
How should I store them so they do not rust? What is the best way to get them ready for use when I pull them out of storage?
You have choices:
* Coat with mineral oil
* Use descant paper
* Spray with Eezox, a proven rust preventative
* Store with free descant packages that your pharmacist will save for you when they receive bulk drug packages
I use the free drug store descants with the molds sprayed with Eezox - all 76 molds and still buying new ones

* Rinse the mold with hot tap water
* Scrub with tooth brush coated with John D Jr Hand Cleaner
* Rinse the mold with hot tap water and dry
* Spray with brake cleaner and dry
All 76 molds and still buying new ones

happyhunter
04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I live in PA. Gets pretty humid here. Yeah I do run a dehumidifier in the basement where I store my toys. But still basements can get damp for various reasons. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks,
HH

Huntducks
04-04-2012, 03:32 AM
I would go to Wal Mart and by some water proof box's, I use them for battery powered decoys and they hold a sm. 12v battery submerged in 2-3' of water for 12 hrs. ther like $7 ea and i'm sure you can get 5-6 molds in each.

As far as a lube to protect I would use Rem oil.

missionary5155
04-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Good morning
I am up in the US of A 7 months then down here for 3 years. My molds get a coat of motor oil, wrapped in wax paper and returned to their apropriate sturdy cardboard box to be stuck on a shelf in our storage room. 26 years and no rust. Some molds have remained unwrapped for several cycles and no rust.
Mike in Peru

Rex
04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
I keep mine in the detached, unheated garage here in central Nebraska. Spray them with WD-40 and wrap them in a zip lock bag. Clean them off with brake cleaner when ready to use again.

Cherokee
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Let them cool without condensation, store in GI 20mm Ammo can with lots of other moulds. Has worked for 50+ years living all over this country.

rintinglen
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
do a search for CBrick--he has the slickest set up I have seen for keeping track of your molds and keeping them rust free. He uses air tight plastic containers that he labels and stores in a clever shelf so that all his stuff is easily identifiable and ready to hand.

zuke
04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
oil bath,drip for a bit then a twist tie to hold them together then into a 30/50 cal can that has dessicant in it.

BadDaditood
04-06-2012, 01:12 AM
if you're cheep like me:
Ed's Red without mineral spirits or acetone but with Lanolin
(Ed's gun oil for long term storage)

1 part atf
1 part kerosene
pinch o lanolin

twist ties great idea! (rubber bands break) then into an airtight container

i use carb cleaner or Ed's Red and a toothbrush (cuz i'm cheep and i have 4 of the 5 ingredients on hand - just ordered some lanolin from RandyRat today :)

dry with a spray brake cleaner and a clean toothbrush... oh, and safety glasses-- brake cleaner/carb cleaner in the eyes stings a might, don't ask how i know :)

longbow
04-06-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm with the oil guys!

Even aluminum and brass moulds have steel sprue plates that will rust given the chance.

Desiccants or air tight systems seem to work for some people and that's fine but I trust oil.

I let iron moulds cool some then wipe with WD40 and light oil like 3 in 1 or gun oil. I also leave a boolit in each cavity to make sure the oil stays where it is put ~ loosen the boolits so the oil will wick around them then close the mould tight and wipe down the outside of the mould and sprue plate as well.

With brass or aluminum moulds I wipe the steel sprue plate and put a smear of oil on each steel locating pin as well.

A quick wipe down and pre-heat is usually all I do. If you worry or have trouble with oil residue then a quick wipe down with mineral spirits or brake cleaner will take the oil off and you are good to go.

I have never had an oiled mould rust and I have never had trouble casting with a mould that has been oiled while stored after a quick clean up.

That works for me.

YMMV

Longbow

10mmShooter
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I store my 20 or so molds with handles attached, in a 40mm grenade can. With generous amounts of dessicant in the can. No rust. I cant stand having to clean oil off moulds when I get ready to cast.

finishman2000
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
whatever oil in a spraycan i have around. hose them and put into a plastic storage box. when ready to use i let them sit in lacquer thinner for a few minutes then a toothbrush scrub quick. blow off lac thinner with compressed air and ready to use.

C Broad Arrow
05-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Does anyone use gun treatment spray after the mold is used and ready to be stored?

bobthenailer
05-11-2012, 07:15 AM
I live in PA and my moulds are stored in the house in the man cave area , all i do is spray some heavy duty silicone on the moulds and there fine when i use them again ! even if some are only used every so many years.

quack1
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I live in Pa and my molds live in tupperware cake containers, with a bag of dessicant in each, in the basement where I cast. Yes, I bought my own and didn't take them from the kitchen. The tupperware containers are air tight and hold quite a few molds, without handles. Just be sure to let the molds completely cool off to avoid condensation. I have used tupperware for at least 30 years with no problems. Any good airtight container would work as well.

DRNurse1
05-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I store my moulds with cast boolits in them in a similar fashion. My seldom used moulds are without handles and I usually coat the outside with oil and wrap loosely in grease paper. The more frequently used ones are just in the box (dead cold) with desiccant. Traveled up and down the East coast (Florida to New Hampshire) many times in many seasons and my moulds have only an expected age-patina and no rust. DRNurse1