PDA

View Full Version : Rare .358 Winchester?

PatMarlin
04-02-2007, 08:57 AM
What's the story on the Model 88 and 100? Who designed them?

I know nothing about them, but the 100 seems to be not as popular of a rifle sales wise, as I see a lot of auctions passed by for some really nice rifles.

Here's the .358:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69082783

Here's a nice model 100 in 308. Maybe a good candidate for a 358 conversion?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=68748448

6pt-sika
04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
The Winchester 100's had a major recall for some reason I can't remmember .

Personally I have never oewned or shot a 88 or 100 . However there was a time I would have liked to have either in a 284 WIN .

Personally the Model 88 versus a typical Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 . I'll go with the 336 or 94 every time .

The Winchester 88 , Savage 99 and Sako Finnwolf were all nice rifles , just not my taste .

And if ya want a 358 lever get the Browning BLR or rebarrel a marlin 336 to 356 WIN . I have a pair of the Marlin 336ER's in 356 WIN and to say the least I like umm [smilie=1:

Ben
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Pat:

I owned a brand new Model 100 in .308 Win.back in the late 60's. My friend had the rifle version and I had the carbine version.

Both had to be 2 of the most unreliable semi auto center fire rifles that I've ever seen. They were bad to mis-fire on factory ammo. Both of our rifles were prone to failure to eject.

I personally don't want to pick up another one. As to the Model 88, I've read good things about them.

Best,

Ben

Uncle R.
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
About ten years ago I was bitten by the model 100 bug - I thought they were the best looking semi-auto hunting rifle ever made. (And I still do!) I found a pre-64 .308 in 99% beautiful condition. It was pretty to look at, sweet to handle, but had the soul of a streetwalker. That dang thing would just about keep 'em on a paper plate at 100 yards, and jam at least once every three shots.
I have an older cousin who's been a serious gun nut since before I was born, and when I told him I bought a model 100 he busted out laughing. "And does it shoot around corners, and jam every other shot?" he gasped between chuckles. It turned out he'd known several people who bought 'em in the 60s and they were nothing but trouble and grief.
I sold mine to a Winchester collector - and good riddance to bad hardware!
Uncle R.

Ben
04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
You're right, I always thought they looked nice and sleek.

A real shame they didn't shoot as well as they looked.

Ben

onceabull
04-02-2007, 12:51 PM
PatM: there is a put-together Win 88 on GB (#69122202) aftermarket barrel in post 64 style stock..For what they want ,I'd suggest building your own,BUT one should be certain they have a willing smithy lined up.. You still end up with a "user" ,but maybe not enough invested to buy 3or 4, BLR's. The savage 99's in 358 are appreciating so rapidly(see GB 69023961, top bid now $2400,but not meeting reserve)that the good ones are all headed in the safes rather than the woods.Granted this one is one of the most desirable styles.---- I've seen a couple mdl.100's made up in 358's,but would stay far away myself...fwiw Onceabull

Scrounger
04-02-2007, 01:22 PM
The patents are no longer in force, wonder why some importer doesn't talk the Chinese into building them for him? I suspect it's like all the rest of the discontinued items that are in demand to collectors now, outside of whacko collectors and a few, repeat few, die hard hunters, there really is little demand for them. A good machinist with modern CNC equiptment could probably make a good living turning out 99 Savages, .30-40 Krags, and a few other out of production guns.

PatMarlin
04-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the responses fellas... :drinks:

I'm not interested in buying one, I was just asking for the education on them. I don't care for the looks of these and the 99's, specially compared to my beloved Marlins.

I've seen some in very nice condition being passed on, and I knew there had to be a fly in the ointment somewheres because of it.. :mrgreen:

26Charlie
04-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Pat, I have a M88 .308 carbine, and it is handy & accurate with cast bullets - about 2 1/2 " at 100 yds. With a Weaver K3 scope on it, it is a nice compact rig.

Four Fingers of Death
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I only ever saw one in operation, a 308W, boy it sure was pretty. The guy fired off 100x rounds of factory ammo without a glitch, thanked us and went home, never seen him or the rifle since. I remember this well, because I was catching his brass as it ejected :D. It must have been new? Worked ok. Didn't see many of them out here, the occasional one in stores. All crushed by the Govt now.

Old Time Hunter
04-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Just find a .356, the only difference in the cartridge is one is rimmed, while the other isn't. Basically the same performance.

Bret4207
04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
20 years ago in the Adirondacks an 88 or 100 was THE rifle to have. Probably still are. The 88's were nice, but the 100's seemed kinda heavy to me. Never heard of the jamming problem, but that was 20 years ago.

Those are kind of like Browning BLRs. If you like them, you do. If you don't you can find a million things to hate about them. Beauty is in the eye....

Mk42gunner
04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I HAD a model 100 in 243 last year. Bought it, took the see thru mounts off and mounted a 6X Leupold. The rifle shot great until I had two deer in front of me, I shot the first one and it failed to cock. Not a happy camper then, so I thought "I'll make this my coyote gun." The same thing happened, one dead coyote, one running away laughing. Rifle went away at the next gunshow.

It's a shame because they come up almost as good a model 14 Remington.

Robert

wmitty
04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Couldn't pass opportunity to say something about these rifles. I have three 100's in .308 and one 88 in same chambering. Never shot the 88; it goes to my daughter when she leaves home. But the 100's have all been shot a lot. I'm loading cast in one of them and have had pretty good luck with with the .31141 GB bullets and Re 7. I have just put receiver sights on the other two and plan to try them on running jackrabbits and coyotes. The rifles have fair triggers and seem to function fairly reliably ( never shot factory loads in them). I have noticed the neck portions of the chambers seem unnecessarily oversize, leading to overworking of case necks and high brass losses, but other than that they are acceptable from a reloading standpoint.