PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Test - Lee Perfect Powder Measure

fowl_language
04-02-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm sure someone has probably done something like this, but I'm also sure that someone will need this information later and it would be a shame for something like this to go to waste. I only had a few powders to test with and only one lee perfect powder measure (LPPM) but I think this might be some information people may want to see.

Methods:
- Weights were taken on a Hornady GS-1500 +- 0.1 , powder scale.
- Weights were taken with each pull of the handle from the up position followed through to the up position.
- Powder measure was pushed to the down position until a thump was felt and up until the same thump was felt.
- All powders (except for the Alliant steel was metered at full capacity).
- Weights were taken only after 20 pulls of the handle were completed after each powder change.
- Weights were taken only after the H GS-1500 scale was calibrated to the 100 g standards.
- Standard deviations (STDEV) from the mean (average) were calculated to quantify the amount of variation between each pull of the handle.
- 50 trials each at a standard pistol (38 special, 3.0 CC RED DOT) were used to quantify deviations from the mean for each powder.
- 50 trials each at a standard rifle CC (.223 Rem, 1.65 CC BLC-2) were used to quantify deviations from the mean for each powder.
- All screws on the LPPM were tighten enough to make the handle operation difficult but not impossible, enough to not allow for any spillage with small or large powders.

Results:

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/sagebrushhunter/Reloading%20Stuff/leepowder_measure_accuracy_test_graph2.png
Graph - Lee Perfect Powder Measure results for both a common pistol caliber volume (38 special) as well as a common rifle caliber volume (.223 Rem). Error bars are the standard deviation from the mean, (how much variation or "dispersion" exists from the average (mean, or expected value). A low standard deviation indicates that the data points tend to be very close to the mean, whereas high standard deviation indicates that the data points are spread out over a large range of values, wikipedia).

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/sagebrushhunter/Reloading%20Stuff/leepowder_measure_accuracy_test2.png

Conclusions:

It seems like the smaller diameter disk powders (BLC-2 and Win 231) meter better at lower densities through the LPPM. Although, the smaller diameter powders also meter better at higher densities than the larger diameter powders. The most accurate powders seem to be those with smaller diameters (DUH!). The LPPM did meter the smaller powders well enough (for me) to load many cases continuously. There was enough slop evident in the larger powders mainly Alliant (steel, red dot, unique) to warrant individuals measuring powders within cases by hand before loading, especially during testing phases. Two powders tested with the lowest standard deviation between all powders tested, Win 231 and Hodgon BLC-2, both powders had the smallest standard deviations between pours of both the handgun and pistol case densities. Alliant Blue Dot was the only powder tested, that metered better in smaller densities than it did during larger densities. All other powders measured during the test displayed > .1 gr standard deviations during pours.

In conclusion smaller powders meter in the LPPM better than larger diameter powders in both rifle and pistol charges. The LPPM meters smaller charges more accurately than larger charges with all powders. Keep all screws tight on the LPPM when charging cases and the smaller the powder the better.

Personal thoughts:

I did this test on a whim just to see how I was charging my cases when reloading, it opened my eyes a little bit and helped me see that my observations were correct. Smaller powders work better in the LPPM. <-- but the larger powders are not as bad as I thought they were. As long as the LPPM screws are tight and you can muscle through the pour motion it is a pretty reliable metering device. This is true as long as you are metering small charges, the larger charge you go with Alliant Powders the more error you introduce. I know a lot of folks don't use these powders on a regular basis, but I thought someone might get some use out of it.

FL

Catshooter
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
fowl,

I tried using one years ago with Universal Clays in the 9mm. Found some cases that were different by more than two grains. Threw it away and never looked back.

I like your user name, and welcome to the forum.

Cat

jcwit
04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
With the powders that I use the Lee PPM works excellent, with you'd have thrown it my way, could always use another.

Now then lets continue with another bash Lee thread.

Be the first for this week.

fowl_language
04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
@Catshooter , thanks for the compliments on the username, different meters for different folks I suppose, I like the LPPM for fast plinking ammo it seems to work well with the smaller powders. When I want to get real technical I'll weigh each load in each case sometimes a couple of times with a powder trickler, when I get into that mode, I can't see myself being really happy with any powder measure.

@jcwit , I hope not, all I own are lee products, I love em. Let's try and focus on the accuracy the LPPM did display. I'm sure if other folks did a similar test in some of the other brand powder measures they would have difficulty with the large diameters like STEEL. Not including all the fancy stuff some folks have.

Frozone
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
The accuracy can be increased by using the lever down to lever down method. The opposite of what you tested.

You raise the lever count, "1,2,3" (or anything you want as long as it's as close to the same each time) than dump the charge. Leave the lever in the 'dumped' position until the next charge is needed.

You will find that large flake powders settle a lot over a fairly short amount of time.
Even the tiny vibrations of the bench (and those of your hand touching and releasing) will change the charge amount.
The longer you expose the measure chamber to the powder reservoir, after it is filled, the more those vibrations matter.

John Boy
04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Here's the test I did with black powder back in 2006, comparing the Lee PPM to 3 other chargers ... http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037

fowl_language
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
@Frozone , Interesting, I will have to try the lever down lever down method with the same powders next , maybe this time only 30 or so trials I'm not going to lie, what started out as a fun project at first got to be a real pain in the rear after the 3rd powder tested.

@John Boy , I have to thank you for doing that test in 2006, I actually saw that a few weeks ago and said "hey, I could do something like that". Granted you have a few more powder measures than I do :-D . My goals with this are to continue doing trials with each powder I buy and get a running chart for my own set up to feel confident in both rifle and pistol charges. So your information really helps out, i'm not sure i'll ever use those powders in the future but at least now I know how the LPPM will perform if I do!

Catshooter
04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
jcwit,

I'd've been happy to throw it your way had I but know y'all wanted it. 'Course this was 25 years ago, a bit pre-internet.

Didn't intend to Lee-bash although I not all that hesitent to do so I was just responding to the OPs question. I will certainly credit Lee with helping start out many handloaders due to their low prices. I'm almost a 100% user of their Factory Crimp Dies.

But I have never forgiven them for their lousy handling of our group buys here and at the rate they're apologising to us/me I probably never will. I'm sure Richard Lee looses sleep over it every week too. :)

Cat

35remington
04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Yep, shoulda been lever down to lever down. Leaving it lever up allows the powder to settle differently in the chamber as vibration will affect the density packing of the charge.

Further, the larger the shear area (area "struck off" by the wiper) relative to the size of the powder chamber, the higher the potential variation. This is pretty obvious when you realize the width of the cavity does not increase, but the length does.

In other words, tuna can shaped metering chambers have more potential variation, as a percentage of the total charge, than ones shaped like a long cylinder.

John Boy
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
FL, I commend you for maintaining future charts of powder drops using the Lee PPM. I find that the charger will maintain very good exact drops better than 95% of the time, especially with BP in all the grades by doing this: Raise the cylinder lever to the top - count 5 seconds - move the lever down, then tap the lever a couple of times with your index finger. I even made a baffle for it and the accuracy is better with the up-down-5 sec-finger tap deal

You'll find this interesting: I reload empty primed 22LR with black powder using a custom mold remake of the old UMC match bullet. I use the PPM because it is just as accurate as the old Lyman #5 with the micro adjustment cylinder ... dropping either 4.5 or 5.0 grs of 50 mesh powder into the case. I tried some of my other chargers to consistently drop these small volumes - didn't happen! The plus is also, I don't have to clean the PPM after each use but have to with the other metal chargers. [smilie=1:

Catshooter
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
John Boy,

That is very interesting that you reload 22LR! How do you manage the re-priming problem? How do they shoot? I would think that they would do well, maybe very well. Did you make your dies?

You make a very good point about the non-corrorsive nature of the PPM. I was undoubtedly rash when I threw mine out. I plead ignorence. :)

Cat

pmeisel
04-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Very interesting, guys. I appreciate your work and the sharing of the data.