PDA

View Full Version : UltraSonic for 22LR Brass?

Utah Shooter
04-02-2012, 01:12 AM
I know this has been discussed here before but I am still having questions. Perhaps I am a bit too picky but...

So I rinse the spent brass at least 5 times before they go into the cleaner.

I then am using a Lemi-Shine mix. Run for at least 3 full 480 second cycles. Not only do they come out "pink-ish" but the inside rim still has powder primer mix in it. Not a lot but enough for me to be curious. It is soft and if I hold the brass and flick my wrist it comes out. If I shake it in a strainer it does not come out. So if I let it dry it will stay in there.

Do I really need to flick the water/Lemi-Shine/powder primer mix out for every one of them? What in the hell is this pink residue on/in the case? Sure it comes off if tumbled but then again media residue gets stuck inside the case.

Don't worry about being so picky?

runfiverun
04-02-2012, 01:25 AM
the pink is zinc being pulled from the case.
i soak mine in a citric solution also but just for three hours [hot water] and agitate them frequently.
you can see the water turn black from the residue.
i don't anneal my cases, so i like to see some pink on the cases you have to be carefull pulling too much out of the case as it will weaken it.
i de-rim and put the jaxkets back into the solution for about 10 more minutes.
i don't like the grit in the cases for de-rimming either, so if i feel any on the stem, i pull the case and put it back into the cleaning set up again or just toss it.

BT Sniper
04-02-2012, 01:28 AM
The pink residue is copper. The acid from the lemi shine is reacting with somthing causing the copper to plate the brass. Copper plated bullets VOLIA! Any sort of steel in your mix will casue this reaction, maybe somthing in the primer residue?

As for the rest?

I simply tumble the 22 LR brass overnight, derim and go. I bet after deriming it will clean easier. I use a HSS punch so I am not concerned with ware from left over primer residue.

BT

Edit, I see we both answered at the same time. :) I'm not sure if the pink is copper or zink but I don't think it is a concern, I get it too somtimes but it tumbles right off.

Utah Shooter
04-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Yeah it does come right off. Is there perhaps a better way to clean them?

Not only that when I anneal them they turn almost nickel plated. That too comes off after a quick rinse in Lemi-Shine. About 5 minutes or so. Then the shine of the brass really looks... Frail?

Lizard333
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
It's isn't going to be cheapest but I'll make a suggestion and tell you how I do it. I tumble my brass in stainless steel media over night. I add a 1/4 tsp of lemishine to a gallon of water and a couple tsp of dish soap. Brass looks good as new, with zero residue in the case.

A new set up will run you about 250$, but in my opinion, it is the best brass cleaner money can buy. They advertise at the top of the forum. They rock!!!

freddyp
04-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Utah, I run a simple mix of 50% white vinegar and 50% water with a drop of dish soap, in the sonic cleaner. Three to four cycles and you're done. This will also remove the firing residue on the outside of the case.

frank martinez
04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
You may be picking up iron residue in the water. It will react and show pickish. I used to get it cleaning after cowboy shoots. Use a little distilled in the cleaning solution or last wash to get clean.
Frank