PDA

View Full Version : .54 Lyman great plains hunter projectile?

troy_mclure
04-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I picked up a Lyman great plains rifle(hunter) to bore out to 28ga smooth bore. I've decided the bore on this rifle is too nice to ruin, so I'm gonna find another one for that purpose.
Now I need a .54 projectile to shoot from it. As I understand it the gpr hunter has a fast twist rate for bullets, and won't do well with prb's.

Any recommendations on a boolit for this gun? Mostly ill be shooting targets, but hopefully hog and deer eventually.

richhodg66
04-02-2012, 02:37 AM
The only bullet I've used in a .54 was the Thompson Center Maxi Hunter, about 420 grains. I shot exactly one deer with it and the terminal performance was great, but I never got real good accuracy out of it (could be the short barrel and open sights of that rifle).

I've had real good luck with the Lyman Plains bullet, I can't remember the mold number at the moment, in my .50 calibers. Kills deer very well and is accurate. I have the same design in .54 now, just haven't tried it yet.

You can always use patched round balls and the Lee REAL bullets group well in the guns I've tried them in, but they've been ones other people have cast for me, I have no luck with Lee molds.

Mr Peabody
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I can say try the Lee 380gr REAL with a big hooray. It's easy to cast and likes the bigger loads used for hunting. Not an expensive mold to buy either.

Good Cheer
04-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Will the old thick wall Lyman .54 minie fit the barrel? Wish they made a fast twist left hand flinter barrel.

El Bango
04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Try the Buffalo Bullet or the Hornady 325 gr.,they both stabilize well and have the "bow wow"when they get there.Michael

x101airborne
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I am a 54 hunter and will be happy to help you with some test projectiles. I have the mini, the maxi, round ball, and two different 50 cal hollow points that i am paper patching with resume cotton paper. Anything I can do to help, dont hesitate to ask.

troy_mclure
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Cool, thanks. I've got to finish this job, then get back home and call Lyman to order the screws for the stock. Then I'll be ready to start working on loads and projectiles.