PDA

View Full Version : Loading the MAS 1873

parrott1969
04-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Anyone ever messed with this cartridge? I have been playing with one for a little while and having loads of fun. Started by cutting down 44 special brass to .745 in length. Then it is off to turn down the rim. I do this by inserting a wooden dowel into the case, chucking the dowel in my drill and spinning it against a fine tooth file. Once the head stamp starts to fade, I switch over to some 120 grit sand paper until the lettering is gone. That is just about the right point for the brass I am using. Then I prime it, load it with 3 grains of Trail Boss and seat the lee 200 grain bullet ( using 45 acp dies) to a COL of 1.190 The only down side that I have found is that I can not crimp the bullet because of the short case length. I do run it into the lee 44 cal factory crimp die to remove the flare. If I load more than 3 rounds the fourth one will barely push the bullet out of the barrel because the recoil almost unseats the bullet.

Before someone whizzes in my cheerios, I know that the bullet is too small. I could take a size die and open it up but the guy that owns the gun does not want to spend any money. He just wants to hear the pistol his grandfather left him go boom and does not care it he can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 paces.:lol:

Grapeshot
04-02-2012, 05:25 AM
PICTURES! Please.