PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear glove when you reload?

Snyd
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I started wearing these a couple years ago to minimize lead absorbtion since I lube and load lots of cast boolits. They have a nice snug fit, good dexterity, not hot and give a good grip since they're rubberized. You can see in the pics that I can pull brass out of the box and work with powder measure, press, scale, etc. easily. I wear them 95% of the time. I got them online for about a 1.25 a pair. Anyone else wear gloves at the loading bench?

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/glvs_01.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/glvs_02.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/glvs_03.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/glvs_04.jpg

btroj
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
No gloves for me. I am very picky about hand washing before and after though.
You don't absorb lead thru the skin. It washed off with regular soap and water.

Like most things in life, a good hand washing will elimante the hazard.

jcwit
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Yup, what btroj said. Wash your hands. You won't absorb elemental lead thru your skin.

Adam10mm
04-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I do now just because I have a 10mo daughter that I'm concerned about. Did the same with my son. I'm not worried about me, but my daughter is putting everything in her mouth (still teething) so I want to be careful.

When I'm handling loaded ammunition and brass, I glove up just to not make marks on the brass. For bullets not so much, unless I'm sorting bullets and watching my daughter at the same time.

BTW, I have those same style gloves at work. I use those to handle brass and ammo, but latex type gloves to handle bullets when I'm watching my daughter.

Once she gets out of the teething stage, I won't wear gloves when loading. Only handling the finished product for the reason aforementioned.

blaser.306
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I am not too woried about absorbing the lead . And I do wash after handling cast , However I did just this morning after starting to lube a thousand #503's start wearing one of the nitrile gloves that we have at work! I found that when sizing with a bare hand there are some boolits that can be a real pain in the backside to pull out of the top of the lyman/Rcbs sizing die, mostly short rn types but with the glove , it seems to give just that little extra grip that you need and never had any trouble pulling the slugs free at all. After doing a thousand this morning I think I will take a break from it for a day or two!!!

LUBEDUDE
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Nope - as others have said ....

Fixxah
04-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I wear black lightning on the boolit hand and nothing on the press hand.

fowl_language
04-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I do with all things related to the tumbler as that black stuff that comes off of the cases I've heard is pretty nasty, and when i'm handling any resizes before lube, just in case there are some small flakes that might go in some cuts on my hand also to prevent some of the powder getting in the same cuts.

But being safe is always a good thing, if you can still handle everything with them as efficient as without gloves all the power to ya! I might have to pick up a pair of those they look more comfortable than the latex free disposable ones I where.

Topper
04-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Never thought about it. I always was up afterward.
Have had blood levels check for lead and no concerns.

375RUGER
04-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Not while reloading. Only one welders glove on my ladle hand for casting, as I cast over a gas burner.
I don't understand why so many mechanics wear gloves nowadays, I guess that's how they learned in school.
I have to wear gloves in the cleanroom and it's a big ars pain especially with #2 and #4 screws. I'm glad I don't work in the CR everyday.
But as long as you can handle the components and work with them without aggrivation then to each his own.

FLDad
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I use latex or vinyl gloves a lot while reloading. Keeps skin oil off primers and lubes in their place. For casting I do the whole nine yards -- face shield, welders gloves, leather apron and long sleeves. Picking up a soldering iron without looking taught me that one years ago!

1Shirt
04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Wash hands before loading, casting, sizing, lubing etc, to remove oils etc. Wash hands after all of same for lead residue. I then use Cornhuskers lotion!
1Shirt!:coffee:

zuke
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
No glove's and I use SS media so all that nasty stuff is poured down the drain.

Moonman
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
+1 for Stainless Media and flushing the ugly BLACK (carbon) down the drain. Wash before and after handling lead, do not eat or smoke while handling lead. A soap D-Lead is available, I got mine from the Dillon reloading site.

slide
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
We wear gloves and wash before and after. My 15 year old grandson helps me a lot. Keeps him safer and teachs good habits.

Whistler
04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I never use gloves when reloading. I wash my hands afterwards and have no elevation when I check my blood levels.

When casting I glove my right hand with a working glove, as that is the one I open the sprue plate with. Never seen the use of gloving my left hand, it would just give me a less secure grip on the wooden handles.

captaint
04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Never. Do I wash my hands after a loading session?? Oh, yeah. Twice. enjoy MIke

Char-Gar
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
No..I just wash my hands. Being doing this for over 50 years and am still alive and doing well.

PanaDP
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Nope, simply not needed.

gwpercle
04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Never have and probably never will. I think a lot of concern about absorbing lead through the skin while reloading is unwarrented . I don't eat the boolits and wash up after a session of handling boolits. I'm more concerned about having an accident involving molten lead while smelting / casting . I don't like nasty burns.

MtGun44
04-04-2012, 02:07 PM
No. Wash after loading.

Lead is not absorbed through skin.

Bill

alleyoop
04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
yes the same kind as you I have to wear them at work so its a habit now.

huntnfish72
04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Nope, wash after

willy3
04-05-2012, 05:31 AM
I wear surgical type gloves if I'm working with large quantities of brass or bullets but it is more for the abrasion factor than fear of lead. Harbor Freight has gloves for $4 per hundred.

Huntducks
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm really worry about it now having been a plumber for 35 years and leaded about 10,000 joins and carried lead pellets in my mouth as a kid, so I decided gloves wheir not enought so I wear one of these when casting and reloading.

MtGun44
04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Sounds perfect.

It will be mandatory in California to balance a tire, starting next month.

Bill

Beagle333
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Nope. 'Just have a grey hand until I get finished. Then it's LAVA time at the sink.

1hole
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I just lick the gray stuff off my fingers when I finish; it's never bothered me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me.

FLDad
04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
If you do like the nitrile-coated fabric gloves, Dollar Tree has them for a buck.

Cherokee
04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I have started using gloves for gun cleaning and chores where I might get stuff sticking to my skin. I used to just do it, then scrub my hands to get them clean. Now I use the gloves, if I remember.....

jcwit
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
At my age any long term exposer to anything is going to have to be short term.

dragon813gt
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I usually wear a pair of Mechanix 1.5 Gloves. These are what I wear all day at work. Comfortable to wear and it keeps my hands clean. I get I can wash them. But why not wear gloves and keep them clean so you don't have to scrub them when done. That's why mechanics wear gloves at work now.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

**oneshot**
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Casting yes
reloading/sizing no
gun cleaning yes!

gun/household cleaners are going to absorb into your skin, get under your nails, and find every little nick or scratch you have on your hands.

Read the warnings on your common household cleaners that we use everyday. You think lead is scary.

warpspeed
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I wear gloves for just about everything I do. I have a box of nitrile ones and well as the latex coated ones like the OP showed.

Hand injuries, regardless of when or where, are frowned upon where I work.

deoje
04-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I wear a nitrile glove on my left hand when i load. Mainly just to make cleanup easier.

Lead Fred
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Been reloading since JFK was pres, and have never worn gloves.

Bullet Caster
04-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Don't wear no stinkin' gloves for reloading. However, casting

is a different story. Use 2 pr. of gloves when casting--next time I'm just gonna use

it on my right hand to cut sprue. Wash hands after handling

lead at any time, sometimes twice if the first layer

doesn't come off. BC

44Vaquero
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Never when reloading, yes when casting to avoid burns. Yes when using cleaning products and solvents.
Lead absorption/toxicity is an overblown issue. Do not put your fingers in your mouth and wash your hands afterwords. I asked my Doctor once about it years ago after he finished laughing he told me the same thing! Then he told me that it's routine to leave bullets and shot inside shooting victims if removing them will cause more tissue damage.

10mmShooter
04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
no gloves during reloading, sizing or lubing. Welders gloves for casting always.

btroj
04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't wear gloves for loading or casting. Or smelting.

I use the safety device between my ears and seem to be safe and sound.

tenx
04-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I use a small exam glove only on the fingers of my left hand to feed bullets during reloading. It's too uncomfortable wearing the whole glove, the small size stays secure on my fingers and I discard the rest of the glove. The price is cheap enough but what price do you put on your health? It dosen't replace washing afterwards though, I mean really washing, not the hand wetting routine a lot of people do after using the restroom.

Bassleg
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I use latex or vinyl gloves always when reloading have for 20 years.

20nickels
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Like most things in life, a good hand washing will elimante the hazard.

[smilie=l:
No, but I do keep a shot glass of mineral spirits nearby to dissolve excess boolit lube off my fingers and the dies. Just pull the die out and dip it in, gotta love LNL bushings.