PDA

View Full Version : This is what I have to struggle with

Humbo
04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
First, stick on ww's that weigh 250 grams each. They have the same hardness as regular ww's. Got loads of these, they're even unused. Glue was just not strong enough because of the weight of those things.

http://home.online.no/~kjel-phu/bilder/IMG_4645.JPG

"Regular" stick on ww's, just that they now make them of pure tin. Melted down a batch today, I sure hope I come across a lot more of those.

http://home.online.no/~kjel-phu/bilder/IMG_4646.JPG

Life is good.

cf_coder
04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Wow... never seen the pure tin wheel weights before. Lucky guy you are... go buy a lottery ticket. :D

zuke
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
What do they balance with the 250 gram weight's?

Humbo
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM
What do they balance with the 250 gram weight's?

18 wheelers and buses.

zuke
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Enjoy it and stockpile as much as possible while you can

jlm223
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM
WOW, what a find, lucky dog.

dieguy59
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the pics with the info, I'll keep an eye out for these.

slide
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Good for you !

badbob454
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
the struggle must be tough !! , wow tin really hate to pay for that wheel balance must cost 30.00 us dollars per tire ...

Humbo
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
It's a tough struggle for sure, have been hoarding lead like crazy and the pure tin weights were a welcome addition to the addiction.
But the other day when melting down 600+ lbs of wheel weights from 18 wheelers I found out they were contaminated with Zn. A lot of the wheel weights were brand new, and I suspect they were made from re-melted ww's. I need to find out who makes them and tell them to sort out the zink!

fredj338
04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
You sure they are tin & not Zinc?? Lately, that is what I am seeing, ots & lots of zinc.

Humbo
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
You sure they are tin & not Zinc?? Lately, that is what I am seeing, ots & lots of zinc.

Absolutely. When I melted them down into ingots they melted easily, and the ingots got that beautiful golden tint to them. The ww's are even marked Sn.

dbarnhart
04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Some companies - mostly British manufacturers - are starting to make wheel weights out of tin.

Arceagle
04-05-2012, 04:21 AM
I noticed this was first posted on the first of April. Do the folks in Norway have the same nasty habit of yanking the chain of others on April fools day? If your not kidding all that tin must be nice to have, it's not cheap over here. I have only came up with about 6 lbs. since I started looking last December.:-?

Arceagle
04-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Another question for Humbo. I don't know much about the Kingdom of Norway but do you have a huntable population of Muskox? What little I have read Norway sounds like an awesome place to live.

Humbo
04-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Arceagle, no April fools, I would never joke with free lead alloys in this place, the topic is just too sensitive with all these leadheads (me included) around. :)
Most of the stick-ons are still lead though, but at least they have almost identical hardness to the clip-on stuff so I don't sort them out, only the tin ones.

We do have Muskox, but it is protected, and has been for some time. The population is very low, so I don't think they will be huntable in the foreseeable future.
Norway is a great place, especially the western and northern regions, if it wasn't for the Government there would absolutely be no better place to live.

Arceagle
04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Norway is a great place, especially the western and northern regions, if it wasn't for the Government there would absolutely be no better place to live.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid that is true in way too many places. I did a little quick reading and it looks like Norway is doing so much better than the rest of Europe. Plus you guys can hunt and own firearms while living in some of the most stunning landscapes I have ever seen in photo's.

A few years back I bought a Finnish M39 and started reading up on that country (which I guess isn't too far from you all) and was fascinated with their history. Seems like they are some gritty individuals taking on someone as big as Russia not just once but several times. Now I will have to read up on Norway. What is the most popular or most common weapon used for hunting there? You can't find that on Wikipedia.

Humbo
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
The Fins are our neighbours in the east, and they have a very interesting war history with the Russians. Our border against Russia is less than 200 kms long, but Finland's border against Russia is more than 1300 kms long. So you could say they are more exposed to threats from the East than us. Although Norwegians know how to handle the cold, we have nothing on Finland when it comes to winter warfare. Just look up Simo Häyhä.

The most common calibers amongst large game hunters in NO are 6.5x55 Swede, .308/30.06 and 9.2x62, in that order I believe. There are lots of Tikkas, Sakos, Sauers and Mausers, but due to new gun laws rifles with barrel exhange kits are starting to dominate, with Blaser being one of the most sold rifles the last decade or so. Mauser M98 conversions, Tikka M65 or T3 and Sako 75/85 in additions to others are still very common. American manufacturers are not that often seen compared to European made rifles, but you can come across the occasional Remington 700, Weatherby etc.

Arceagle
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Many American shooters are familiar with Simo Hayha's records. I have "VALKOINEN KOULEMA" painted on my Bow case, don't know if it's right but that's the translation my computer gave me for the "white death"

I have a Tikka T3 in 270 short mag and have long known about the superior ballistics of the 6.5 Swede but yet to own one. Of course being American it would be sacrilegious not to have several 30-06 and a least one M1A in 308.