PDA

View Full Version : grease groove boolits

ian45662
04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Could someone explain to me the process of putting grease grooves on a boolit that has be swaged? Can you put 4 grooves in a boolit?

.22-10-45
04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Hello, ian45662. If your refering to putting grooves on swaged bullets..Corbin makes a cannular tool..knurled wheels press into bullet surface. I believe multiple wheels can be mounted. Best give them a call. If your refering to swaging grooves in bullet..there was an excellent article in the Fouling Shot..complete with dimensioned drawings, etc. This was back in very early 90's, I believe.

DukeInFlorida
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
That's why those of us who shoot grease grooved bullets CAST them that way.

When you do the cannelure tool version that was suggested by Ian, the metal that is displaced by the knurling tool actually makes the OD of the swaged bullet larger.

You can roll the swaged lead bullet on a file, and embed the file tooth markings if you want to tumble lube your swaged bullets. But you aren't going to be able to get regular grease grooves like you ask about.

runfiverun
04-01-2012, 09:09 PM
i cast and lube then swage several types of boolits retaining the lube groove full of lube other than that the above is the best answer.
you could swage, canellure and lube, then run through the swage die again.

williamwaco
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
i cast and lube then swage several types of boolits retaining the lube groove full of lube other than that the above is the best answer.
you could swage, canellure and lube, then run through the swage die again.

Ditto. Works great and actually slightly decreases group size with all other factors held constant.

Reload3006
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
There are a lot of things you can do to lube a lead swaged bullet. You can do as some have suggested and cast then lube then swage a bullet. Or you can tumble your lead chunks ... I was going to say cores that would be accurate but add to some confusion...in Powder graphite. and then swage Or you can swage Lead into bullets then cannelure or Knurl then tumble lube in LLA or 45/45/10. But the bottom line is if your swaging lead (non jacketed) bullets you have to lube them in one fashion or another. Depending on your swage die size being larger from cannelure or Knurl is actually a good thing. Some folks say just tumble lube the bullet in LLA or 45/45/10 and forget the cannelure or knurl.