PDA

View Full Version : more checks per roll

kbstenberg
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
What I have read is that most of you cut your aluminum into 1/2" strips before running them through your GC former. I started out this way but I looked at all the waisted aluminum an thought there had to be a better way.
I have been useing the 4" by 50' rolls of .014 of aluminum I got from ACE Hardware. So I left my strips the full 4" wide and cut them to 20" long. Which was a length I figured would work OK.
I will punch checks out of each precut length of aluminum on one of the 20" sides. Take a scissors an cut another straight line cutting off all of the triangular pieces between where the checks were. When cutting I leave just a teeny bit of the circle from the check disk. I only leave enough for a very minor waive in the straight cut. That way I can get 10 rows of 30 caliber checks from a 4" strip of aluminum
Kevin

lead chucker
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Are you using the free checks ? If so you have to make sure you cut it straight if you want your checks to be uniform.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I cut my aluminum with a paper cutter. I stated cutting a square, rectangle what ever, the go along 2 edges punching checks, then trim the 2 edged up against the previous holes on the Paper cutter again,
Same as leadchucker described, just a different cutter

arjacobson
04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Exact same way I do it. I just cut the roll into easy to use lengths. Punch each side-trim with my paper cutter and go again. Best way I have found.