PDA

View Full Version : 41 mags, Who is making them??

Hackleback
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Was thinking today about who is making 41 mags these days and put together a short list in may mind. I know that there is more out there so feel free to chime in and add to the list:

S&W
Mod. 57, 58, Air lite, 657, Mountian

Marlin
1894 FG, and the older straight wrist model ??
Ruger
as at least one Single action?
Taurus
has at least half a dozen models. As far as I could tell, they all were either stainless or Titanium.

others?

9.3X62AL
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Apart from one of their niche market hunting editions, S&W seems largely out of the 41 Magnum business at present--per their website. Kind of a shame, that. Maybe they will do a Model 58 re-make/limited production run in the next year or so. Either the M-58 redux or a Mountain Revolver variant in 41 Mag would sell out in minutes, like U-2 tickets.

Ruger still has the Blackhawk in 4-5/8" and 6-1/2" in production, I believe.

Dunno if last year's introduced Marlin 1894FG is still being made, or not.

RGS
04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
You about covered it. Maybe a T/C Contender barrel or two out there.

45 2.1
04-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Blackhawk in stainless.

shooting on a shoestring
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
No flaming here, just curious. A couple of years ago I considered .41 and .44 before buying .45 Colt. I believe the .41 is 0.410" nominal bullet dia. and the .44 magun is 0.429". So with only 0.019" difference between .41 and .44 magnums, is there really and significant performance or economy to be had with one over the other?

I opted for the .45 Colt b/c I wanted a big bore and that fit the bill. I load mostly 250 gr SWC at 900 to 1000 fps and a few 300 gr RF pushed to 1300 fps just to make me appreciated the slower end of the spectrum. My next big bore will probably be 44 magnum in about 4 or 5 inch barrel unless I see a reason to go to a 41 magnum.

RugerFan
04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Blackhawk in stainless.

By the looks of Ruger's current web site and their 2007 print catalog, I believe this is no longer the case. (Glad I've got my Bisley Hunter)

Last I checked the Marlin site the .41 mag 1894 FG was no longer there either.

Freedom Arms makes a .41 mag in a model 83 if you can afford it.

Hackleback
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I came into a 41 some years ago for cheap. I am also like things that are a bit different, so this was a good mix. I dont think that there is much of a difference between the 44 & the 41. As far as I can tell, Taurus is the only company that makes more than two models of the 41.... A new Taurus might be in the making.

A few random thoughts.

crazy mark
04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Having 41 mag in a RBH, 1894FG and a T/C 14" along with a 44 mag in a RBH Bisley, win trapper and a 14" T/C and a 45 LC RBH and win trapper I can say the 41 mag seems to be the flatter shooter using 210 gr ammo. Of course I load 300 and 325 Gr loads in the 44 and 45. I only use 245 gr max in the 41 mag. The 210-250 gr loads nare easier to handle. I personally like the 41 Mag. Taurus does make good hand guns, at least the ones I have bought. If you buy a 41 always be on the look-out for moulds as they aren't on every street corner like 44 moulds. Mark

9.3X62AL
04-03-2007, 01:39 AM
I'll likely be flamed to cinders for saying this.......but I don't see a whole lotta difference between the 41 and 44 Magnums, or the 45 Colt loaded to Ruger-capable pressures. I have examples in all three calibers, and the most ammunition in 44. 41 comes next, and I have about 100 rounds of 45 Colt brass. I enjoy all three, and if 2 of the calibers had to leave the gun safe the one remaining chambering would fill the niche nicely. No preference of one over the others, either--but the 44 might have the widest component and mold selection.

Redleg99
04-03-2007, 06:33 AM
When I bought my Dan Wesson .41 magnum a few years ago, it was put together in their custom shop. Although it was more expensive than their production revolvers, it cost about half what a Freedom Arms revolver went for.

As to why I got a 41 over a 44 or 45, I think Paco explained the reasons pretty well in his article 41 MAGNUM.... (SUNDAY’S CHILD)

Number one is its flatter trajectory. As Paco says:

“What I find essential about this caliber, is that it is powerful but with a very flat trajectory out to 150 yards. When shooting the iron rams for example, I can always get better scores with the 41 magnum over the 44 mag or the 454 mag. It's not the recoil difference in favor of the 41. Because with a fully loaded 41 and a fully loaded 44, there is little felt difference to me, with the recoil of both.”

The second thing is it’s strength relative to the other choices. Paco explains:

“The reasoning behind Elmer Keith’s move from the 45 Colt cartridge to the 44 Special was because the Special being narrower then the 45 Colt round, it left more steel in the chambers and that gave more strength and allowed for heavier loads....Keith made the decision over seventy-five years ago. And time has not changed the truth and efficacy of the facts of his decision. Certainly the same facts are inherent in the comparison of the 41 magnum to the 44 magnum. More steel in the chambers of the 41 Magnum, more strength.”

I think Paco is being objective here, because as he explains, 41 is NOT his favorite:

“Do I like the 41 magnum over the 44 magnum? NO!... Do I like the 44 magnum over the 41 magnum? NO! Do I like the 45s (heavy loaded 45 colt or 454s) over the 40 calibers...YES! But that doesn’t change the real fact that the 41 mag loaded right will do all that anyone needs for heavy game all over the continental U.S.”

Read the rest of the article here:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm

Edit to add: I should mention that the only magnum I own is a .41, so I lack the experence to make any comparison myself.

45r
04-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I like the 41 with the bisley grip because it doesn't hurt my knuckle as much as 44 or 45 the way I hold,I put my left index finger in front of the trigger guard and that works for me but smacks my knuckle with the bisley grip.heavy 255 grain loads in my bisley hunter ain't to bad and are very accurate.I really like shooting 220 saeco keith bullets in it with 9 grains unique.It will shoot 2 inch groups at 75 yards with most loads and not as much recoil as 44 or 45.Got a 2 power scope and trigger job and it is very accurate with almost any load I try.I think this gun will last a very long time.I had a S&W 41 that was pinned and recessed and wish I didn't sell it.It was very accurate also and never did loosen up.I have never shot a 41 that wasn't a good shooter and the recoil ain't to bad.I think that is why some love the 41.It is a caliber you can shoot a lot.I really miss that old S&W 41 mag.The only thing a 41 can't do that the 44 or 45 does is it won't shoot the 300 grain or heavier bullets.I hope this caliber doesn't fade away.It is my favorate to practice with and when I get to old to shoot the 300 grainers I will shoot 220 grainers in 41 mag and still be able to put the deer meat in the freezer.

RGS
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
No flaming here, just curious. A couple of years ago I considered .41 and .44 before buying .45 Colt. I believe the .41 is 0.410" nominal bullet dia. and the .44 magum is 0.429". So with only 0.019" difference between .41 and .44 magnums, is there really and significant performance or economy to be had with one over the other?

I opted for the .45 Colt b/c I wanted a big bore and that fit the bill. I load mostly 250 gr SWC at 900 to 1000 fps and a few 300 gr RF pushed to 1300 fps just to make me appreciated the slower end of the spectrum. My next big bore will probably be 44 magnum in about 4 or 5 inch barrel unless I see a reason to go to a 41 magnum.

You have the .45 already. You don't need a .44mag. You can load the .45 up to do anything the .44mag can do and with heavier bullets.

You still need the .41 though. It is a good every day shooter that you can use a lot and not have it beat you to a bruised, quivering pulp. If you like the 250 gr load in your .45, try the .41 with 210gr swc @ the same 900-1000fps. It is very controllable in a 4" gun.

shooting on a shoestring
04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
RGS, My .45 Colt is a 7.5" Blackhawk, and yes it has seen .44 magnum type loads, but, I'm wanting a double action in about a 4 inch barrel. The new gun should travel better and perhaps I can conceal it easier. Currently I use a Ford pickup to conceal my BH. I'm thinking probably the S&W Mountain Gun or maybe the 4" Redhawk. I think I could get along with either in .41, .44 or .45 Colt. But I'll lean towards the .44 due to larger selection of components and the fact that any Wally World stocks ammunition should there be some strange occurrence that would compel me to buy pre-loaded ammo.

Also, I have gone to neck sizing my .45 Colt loads instead of full length sizing. I can get good neck tension on the bullet, but with the rearward 2/3 of the case unsized, the cartridge centers better in the chamber and seems to improve precision. I've also done this with .357s, but as I own a couple, I can't chamber cases fired in the larger bored cylinder in the smaller bored gun until I do FLS. So, I have to keep cases for each gun in .357. That's getting to be a pain, and to avoid that in .45 Colt, I think I'll get a .44 or .41. Then it will be easy to keep cases specifically for the one gun.

Uncle Grinch
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I too have been shooting .41's for many years. It started back during the Dirty Harry days when .44's were going for a premium, so I picked up a S&W 57 with the 8 3/8 " pinned barrel. Now I shoot my Ruger BH most of the time.

I picked up a Marlin .44 with a straight grip and promptly sent it to Marlin to rebarrel it to .41. You don't see many straight grip .41's.

So... I shot a

.41 instead of .44
6MM Rem instead of .243
.280 instead of .270
.222 instead of .223

Guess I'm just different.

targetshootr
04-10-2007, 10:32 PM
When the 41 GB mold came around I had a 41 mag Ruger sa put together and it was worth it even if it only turns out to be a fun plinker. Can't have too many guns after all. The ideal platform would be a medium frame with a long custom cylinder, imo.

RGS
04-13-2007, 02:07 PM
shooting on a shoestring ..."I'm wanting a double action in about a 4 inch barrel"

All the more reason to choose the .41. You are a hand loader...no? There are a vast array of bullets available. I have one BH that is 6.5" the rest of my .41s are 4" not counting the Marlins. 4" barrels and the .41mag just go together.

The Mountain Gun is sleek, but still a little on the large side for CCW. The 5 shot Taurus Tracker is noticeably slimmer and lighter, easier to conceal. Both of these guns shoot as well as I do. The MG is a little better, but Taurus is a lighter and trimmer.

Try a .41mag in a 4" gun. I'll bet you can't stop with just one...

Four Fingers of Death
04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I too have been shooting .41's for many years. It started back during the Dirty Harry days when .44's were going for a premium, so I picked up a S&W 57 with the 8 3/8 " pinned barrel. Now I shoot my Ruger BH most of the time.

I picked up a Marlin .44 with a straight grip and promptly sent it to Marlin to rebarrel it to .41. You don't see many straight grip .41's.

So... I shot a

.41 instead of .44
6MM Rem instead of .243
.280 instead of .270
.222 instead of .223

Guess I'm just different.

You sound like the guys who use Java instead of windows, drink Pepsi instead of Coke, I tease my son about this all the time :D

Actually I was reading an artice not long after the first Dirty Harry movie came out that S&W were in the middle of a run of 41mags and declined to change their production runs, so Callaghan used a 41mag when he uttered those philophosical words 'Go ahead punk, make my day!'

Do or did they ever offer the 586 in 41mag? That would be nice. Probably stretching the friendship a bit though.

As to a carry revolver, they would probably be the bees knees and Police work was what they were designed for. I love my revolvers, but I think for a fighting tool the autos gotta get the vote(modern ammo and build quality have negated the traditional supposed disadvantages of an auto as far as I'm concerned). I'm not a revolver knocker, I own 9 revolvers and 2 autos(didn't count rimfires).

felix
04-13-2007, 07:15 PM
True about the 41 mag. Delivered to WB by Pete Massey of S&W for the movie. ... felix

RGS
04-13-2007, 08:20 PM
My carry gun is an auto as well. I'll carry one of the 41s for a walk in the woods, but day in and day out, the auto is with me.

USARO4
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
My carry gun is a Taurus 41 mag snubby with a 2" ported barrel, 5 shot cylinder. I can't recall the model# but it's the same size frame as my 357 Tracker. It definately inspires confidence in my ability to defend myself and my loved ones when I'm out and about. I may get flamed for saying this but I currently own 5 Taurus revolvers and had 2 others in the past and every one has been a darned good gun.