PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I got. What you think?

leadbutt
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Well i went on a shopping trip today. I picked up...

14oz Lucas red "n" tacky #2
15oz stp high mileage oil treatment
1qt dex III / M atf
13oz petroleum jelly
16oz of johnson paste wax
1.5fl oz white lithium grease
olive oil
canola oil

i also have like 5-7lbs beeswax.

What says yous bout me mixin it all up? All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Looking to pan lube 9mm and 45acp.

L. Bottoms

btroj
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
First thing to do is research here for a specific, proven recipe. Many before you have created a huge amount of goo in the name of bullet lube production.

Since you have the ingredients pretty well on hand I would suggest a small batch of Bens Red to start.

Last thing I would ever do is "mix it all up".

fryboy
04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
ummm you got quite an assortment there leadbutt ... leaving me to suggest trying several small batches of everything you can , the easiest is 50/50 beeswax/any grease ( vaseline,redntacky etc et;al ) the next easiest is 1/4 oil to 3/4 beeswax ( or 1 to 3 if you prefer ) if you have LLA on hand and some mineral spirits i highly recommend trying recluse's excellent recipe !! by trying several small batches you can decide what works best for you , the 45 isnt nearly as demanding for a lube as the 9 is , umm also by trying small batches you build both experience ( never a bad thing ) as well saving a bit of components to either make more or change what you made , but as btroj points out i wouldnt mix'em all up either , by making saeco green ( need some plain paraffin ) you stretch your beeswax out by double and it can also harden some of the lubes that are too soft , the paraffin and some lanolin is all i see missing from a list to make a huge variety of great lubes

leadbutt
04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Yea i couldnt find plain lanolin in the stores, i looked. I do have some scrap candles around the house.

runfiverun
04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
there is no way i would mix that all up.
melt 1 lb b-wax.
put in 3 tbs of melted jpw.
put in 4 oz of white lithium.
stir in nothing else while it cools.
after it cools fully [like the next day] you then can decide whether to modify that for your needs.
you would be surprised at how much a tbs of atf will soften a lube.

MikeS
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
If you're looking for lanolin (or most any other lube ingredient waxes) you can't go wrong buying from forum member RandyRat. I've bought his beeswax, as well as his kits that have lanolin/stearic acid/beeswax/carnauba wax in them, and his product, and pricing can't be beat! Nice guy to deal with too.

leadbutt
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Yea ive price shopped online comparing Randys prices and I cant even explain how he makes anything off sales. His products are atleast 1/3 cheaper then anyone else. I was just wondering what stores I could find it in.

L. Bottoms

runfiverun
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
lanosil nipple cream is lanolin it's on the baby aisle.
moms use it when nursing.
it will fizz when you put it in a melted lube because it is hydrous lanolin.

fryboy
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
there's several products with lanolin in it , bag balm is but one ( it also makes a decent case lube ) corona hoof dressing has a bunch in it as well as other stuff ( i always refined it out much akin to refining beeswax ) and it's own distinct aroma , five is right tho nipple cream , stir it until it no longer fizzes and the water's all gone , some pharmacies would also order " Lanolin USP " in for you if you ask , some vet stores also may have various lanolin products ( besides the bag balm- which is only part lanolin,or the corona )