PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building another 10-22

AZ-JIM
04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
What are your favorite aftermarket 10-22 barrels? Accuracy of course is the main objective.

az-jim

crabo
04-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Shilen and Volquartsen

Pat I.
04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the 16 inch stainless/fluted Green Mountain barrel I put on mine.

jblee10
04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I have a Volquartsen and am really happy with it. It's a bull barrel and heavy. For my next 10/22 I'm looking at the Tactical Solutions barrel. Has the bull look, but is light. I have a Browning Buckmark with a Tac Sol barrel and it shoots great.

pergoman
04-02-2012, 11:17 PM
I have been happy with my Green Mountain bull barrel. The cost was reasonable and I feed it mid priced fodder for results as good as can be expected in a 10-22. You gotta ask yourself if you really want the absolutely most accurate setup which requires $20/box ammo or are you willing to have a really accurate gun on a diet of $5/box ammo. For under $100 the GM barrel and $5 Wolf Match Target combo does what I want from a 10-22. This is not what I use in 200 yd benchrest matches with the 22.

Mk42gunner
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I built one with a 16 or 18" stainless fluted Green Mountain barrel and a Boyd's Blaster stock. After it sttled in it would put five milk carton Remingtons under a dime at 25 yards. The only problem was the gun was awkward for anything except offhand shooting on the range, it was uncomfortable to carry in the squirrel woods.

If I was to ever get another 10-22 to build I would look at one of the lightweight polymer or carbon fiber barrels. I really don't see that happening for me, I didnot like the way the magazines would jam after dropping them in the sand (I was stationed in Nevada at the time).

I never had any luck cleaning Ruger magazines for it.

Robert

Casting Timmy
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a green mountain bull barrel and a barracuda stocked 10/22 that's also had some trigger and bolt work. I use it to shoot ARA bench rest at 50yards, the gun so far isn't my problem unfortunately.

If I was building another one I would use another green mountain and spend the extra money on scope, stock, and internal action rework.

Rockchucker
04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm shooting a Kidd 18 inch stainless barrel in my 10-22 and luv it. I've only shot Wolf target / match ammo thru it since I bought it with great success. I'd consider buying another one for my next custom barrel.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i403/ronthompson5231/IMG_0395.jpg

Gunslinger1911
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Green mountain user here, great bbl. CCI Green Tag easily sub 1/2 " at 50 yrd - a few groups at 1/4 (planets aligned correctly LOL).

Forrest r
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I went a different route with a 10-22 build that I did.

Everyone seems to bad mouth the Butler Creek bbls & I was able to pick up a used BC .920" stainless bull bbl for $35. I had the bbl's shoulder cut back 1/4' & bought a PTG match finish reamer ( their Lilja match reamer). I recut the chamber & ended up one heck of a shooter. This bbl will easily shoot 1/4" groups @25yds & 3/8" groups @ 50yds.

Barrel $35
Reamer $50

For $85 I have a bbl with a full blown match chamber that will flat out shoot & have a match reamer to use again or sell.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/ptgreamers.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
OK, can't help you much with the barrel selection, but will make a few comments in light of one of the earlier posts.

The higher quality barrels will not require you to shoot the higher priced ammo to get good groups! Simply not so.

However, what a better barrel will do is make it so that more types of ammo, both lower and higher priced, will shoot well in your rifle.

Friend and I have had some informal shoot offs, the first time with mostly match/target ammo, including some of the very pricey brands and types.

His Savage single shot, target type rifle in the $300 + range shot right along with my Clark Custom 77/22 with it's Walther barrel when shooting that level of ammo.

Then during the second go round, we shot mostly off the shelf brands and types and it was a real different story.

While the Walther barrel kept right on making these nice little 50yd groups, the Savage lagged well behind with the cheaper ammo.

The point being, buy the best barrel you can afford if little groups are really important to you, as it will likely give you more options as to the ammos it will shoot well.

This is in no way saying that some of the lower priced barrels won't shoot well, Jack's savage proved that, just that the better ones give you more room to move.

Also, unless your really into getting bench rest competition level groups, look at the lighter barrels. Day to day, if it is a good barrel, it will shoot great and is a lot more pleasent to carry.

I was able to get my CRuger at the price I bought it, simply because the fellow who paid the $785 price tag to Clark, backed off from the weight of that .920 barrel before he even shot it.

Shoots really, REALLY FINE, but is heavy!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Pat I.
04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Best 22 ammunition I've found for my Green Mountain barrel is CCI Standard Velocity. Never tried any of the REALLY pricey stuff though and don't plan on it. No matter what you choose any of the custom barrels will be head and shoulders above the stock Ruger.

Rockchucker
04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Kidd marked their barrels down from 200.00 to around 180.00 a while back, after I already paid the higher price and fitted it to the receiver and stock. Since I finished the gun a friend told me about some Russian ammo called Wolf match/target so I tried it with a couple friends shooting their target rifles with some of their favorite bulk ammo, guess what! The Russian ammo shot circles around the cheaper stuff and the Kidd barrel I can't complain one bit with either. Their is some mighty fine 22 match ammo that will probably out shoot the Wolf, but at around 6.50 a box I'm gonna stick with it. Oh, and I can even see the boolit leaving the barrel on every shot, an it hits the same spot every time.

uscra112
04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
My boxes of Wolf Match say "Made in Germany".

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-08-2012, 05:38 PM
You can check over on Rimfire Central for the for sure info as to how and why, but the Wolf match ammo I have is the exact came case and marking as the Lapua match ammo.

Wolf also shoots well in my Clark Custom 77/22, but them so do a bunch of other ammos.

CDOC

Rockchucker
04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I always thought Wolf was Russian ammo, my mistake. Just checked my boxes and they all say "Made in Germany" also. Good stuff though.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Rockchucker,

Most of the time you would be correct with the Wolf ammo being produced in Russia.

Not sure if I am correct with this, but as far as I can recall, the Wolf .22 ammo is the only Wolf ammo produced other then in Russia, and maybe it is only the Wolf match/target level products.

CDOC

Rockchucker
04-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, When most folks think of Wolf they're thinking of the cheap steel cased .223's and other calibers that you see in the sporting good stores, guess the 22 match ammo isn't, It just shoots quite well in my Kidd barrel. I heard a while back that they were gonna discontinue making it, and was supprized to see it on the shelf the other day, grabbed 6 boxes and left a couple for the next guy.

AZ-JIM
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I sort of fibbed a litle, I have actually 2 objectives with this build ( if it happens ) the other is extreme light weight. I have been eye balling the Tactical Solutions barrel http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/category/ruger-rifles/ruger-rifle-accessories/ruger-rifle-barrel-upgrades but I wanted to see if anyone else mentioned them before I did. I am also considering a billet reciever from Tactical Machining http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-10-22-receiver.html anyone have any experience with them? I have some ideas for a custom stock as well but for now they are top secret.

az-jim

Shiloh
04-22-2012, 09:51 AM
GM 17" heavy sporter has worked well for me. I need to try some of the Wolff Ammo.

Shiloh

crabo
04-22-2012, 05:36 PM
The Wolf Target and SK Standard Plus is the same ammo, different packaging. Both shoot really good in my different .22s. You can get Wolf at Cabellas, but I usually buy from Champions Choice.

I use Federal Automatch for my 50 yard ammo, and the SK Standard Plus for 100 yards and lever action silhouette. It usually comes out to $5 for a box of 50. I haven't bought any lately.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Crabo,

Is it the Wolf and SK ammo that are the same or the Wolf and the Lapua that are the same?

During the testing of my Clark Custom 77/22, I bought a bunch of different .22 ammos, and the Wolf and Lapua have identical head stamps on the brass.

Having not used SK, I have nothing to go by in that direction.

From what I have read on Rimfire Central, there is a tie in on .22s with Wolf and Lapua.

I read about SK ammo, but do not recall ever seeing any.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

crabo
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Check it out

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=605&cat=312&page=1

You can also sometimes make cheaper .22 ammo shoot better by giving it a little shot of Pam cooking spray. Don't do more than you plan on shooting. It works good on Automatch in my Marlin 39A. My 10/22 with the Volquartsen barrel doesn't need it

tenx
05-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Lother Walther, when chambered and installed correctly you can't beat them. Some of the big name rimfire gunsmiths use Lother Walther blanks and produce barrels with their name stamped on it. I've had 2 and both were very accurate.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Tenx,

If the barrel on my Clark Custom 77/22 is any example, you are very correct about the Walther barrels!!!!!!!!!!!

Crabo, Good info on the ammo, thanks.

The Wolf, match and match target both shoot very well in my CRuger, but then so do a bunch of other ammos, both pricy and off the shelf.

CDOC