PDA

View Full Version : Sporter target rifle.

DIRT Farmer
03-31-2012, 11:51 PM
I have gotten a wild hair to try to see what I can get group wise from a rifle. I have a lot to check yet, but today I looked at a Remington 700 SPS "tactatil in 308, 20 inch heavy barrel externaly adjustable trigger. I have a Lyman 314-299, and a311-284 mould, lots of these cast up.

I have questions about the short barrel, but after the gun show today looking at used rifles the price is close to what I saw the used rifles selling for.

The use would be mainly for 100-200 yd paper shooting.

Your thoughts?

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-01-2012, 12:24 AM
284 should shoot under an inch with a good barrel in the SPS 308 at 200 yds.

runfiverun
04-01-2012, 04:13 AM
it's a target rifle it better shoot little groups.
i'd hold off on the boolit thing till you see the throat shape, if toy got em try em.
whats the worst that could happen? you'll have to buy another mold?

DIRT Farmer
04-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys, I have only bought one new cartridge rifle in my life. My origional idea was to buy another 22-250, put a good barrel on my frosty barrel one in the best cast friendly case I could find.

I'm still thinking.

Four Fingers of Death
04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I have gotten a wild hair to try to see what I can get group wise from a rifle. I have a lot to check yet, but today I looked at a Remington 700 SPS "tactatil in 308, 20 inch heavy barrel externaly adjustable trigger. I have a Lyman 314-299, and a311-284 mould, lots of these cast up.

I have questions about the short barrel, but after the gun show today looking at used rifles the price is close to what I saw the used rifles selling for.

The use would be mainly for 100-200 yd paper shooting.

Your thoughts?

I have one and it is a great little rifle. I am still running the barrel in using Indonesian F4 ammo and it is showing a lot of promise. They should go well with lead considering the 1:12" twist.

catboat
04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
if you are interested, I have a Remington Varmint Synthetic in 308 Winchester with 24" medium weight factory barrel, blued matte finish, with factory H&S style stock (with full-length aluminum bedding block)-not a Hogue overmolded. The stock has been painted sage green. Very low round count (~ <<200 total).

Scope mount holes have been drilled and tapped for 8x40 fasteners (stronger than factory 6x48's). With scople base. Excellent condition.

$600 shipped to lower 48

357Mag
04-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Dirt -

Howdy !

I too, wanted to $$$ a rifle to shoot for fun , and see just how accurate I could get the gun to shoot.

So, I have bought my first " factory rifle " / factory gun in almost 40yr.

I went w/ a new ( made in CT ) Marlin M-336 XLR in .35 Rem
It's non-standard ( not Micro-groove ) " Ballard-style " rifling is a nod to Marlin's former glory days from the Golden Age of shooting. My rifle's barrel broke-in w/ just one shot ( J-word ), and does NOT show any blue...... even after shot strings of 30+ rounds.

The barrel cleans w/o having to use a brush, no matter what powder has been used. I only use patches, and foaming bore cleaner; followed by a patch wet w/ "bore conditioner"

My XLR's stainless barrel, stainless action, and laminated stock, are current state-of-the-art; in many accuracy rifle circles.

The XLR's factory ( new rifle ) trigger pull is incredibly light. So light, I won't even tell you; as many wouldn't believe it.

My intial goal was to realize 5-shot 100yd groups of 5/8".
My son shot a 5/8" group during the rifles 5th trip to the range ( J-words), which included a 3-shot sub-group of .250". That bested my 11/16" 5-shot 100yd group, and I have since reconsidered what might ultimatley be possible groups-wise.

I did not buy the XLR for hunting, and I am shooting reduced "target" and not hunting loads.

I DO have some lead bullet loads in the offing, but Spring time work @ home and lot's of mandatory Saturday work days have prevented any recent range trips.

My point:
Don't dismiss the fun possibilities of shooting a good lever gun !

With regards,
357Mag