PDA

View Full Version : New Rolling Block

Dragoon 45
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
At Wanamacher's today in Tulsa. Picked up a Husquvarna Rolling Block that had been rebarreled with a 30" Badger Barrel in .40-65. The action looks to have been re-color case hardened as it has some very pretty but subdued colors in it. Rifle came complete with a Lee Shaver Mid range Vernier Soule and a front globe. While it doesn't have a set-trigger, I estimate the trigger pull at around 2 1/2 -3 lbs with no over-travel or creep. After cleaning the barrel, it looks like it has had maybe 20-30 smokeless rds though it. Could not find any BP fouling in the barrel or around the block.

Will post pictures when I get my camera working.

Can someone point me to field stripping instructions for this rifle? I want to clean it throughly before I start working up a load for it.

Thank You

TXGunNut
04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds nice, looking forward to the pics.

Ed in North Texas
04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
snip

Can someone point me to field stripping instructions for this rifle? I want to clean it throughly before I start working up a load for it.

Thank You

IIRC, Midway posted a YouTube video of stripping the Roller action. I believe I saw it while looking at videos sometime after I got my Carl Gustaf Swede (in 12.7x44R), maybe late last year or earlier this year.

Ed

Dragoon 45
04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I found the video on Midway's site, Thank You.

The video was for a US made rifle with the plate on the left side of the receiver that retains the block and trigger pins. Mine has two large screws with a half moon cut out and two small locking screws with again half moon cut outs. I assume that you unlock those large screws by turning the small screw head till the half moon cut outs align with the large screw heads. Remove the large screws and then punch out the retaining pins for the block and trigger.

IIRC, Midway posted a YouTube video of stripping the Roller action. I believe I saw it while looking at videos sometime after I got my Carl Gustaf Swede (in 12.7x44R), maybe late last year or earlier this year.

Ed

Ed in North Texas
04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I found the video on Midway's site, Thank You.

The video was for a US made rifle with the plate on the left side of the receiver that retains the block and trigger pins. Mine has two large screws with a half moon cut out and two small locking screws with again half moon cut outs. I assume that you unlock those large screws by turning the small screw head till the half moon cut outs align with the large screw heads. Remove the large screws and then punch out the retaining pins for the block and trigger.

Exactly. If I hadn't had my head ... I'd have remembered that the Husky rifles used two screws instead of the plate between the pins. Those large screws may be the pins, as the Martini-Henry has on the extractor pin. But whether they are screws holding pins, or the pins themselves, the small screws keep them in place. The Carl Gustaf Swede I have follows the Remington pattern of screw and plate. Good luck with the Roller.

Ed

Dragoon 45
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

Hopefully I will take it to the range later this week to see how it shoots. Need to do a chamber cast first to figure seating depth for the Snover bullet I normally shoot.

I guess rolling block fever has also hit a friend of mine. He picked up a very nice Pedersoli Roller today in .45-70. He hasn't shot BP before so I will be helping him load for his new rifle till he gets the hang of it.

Exactly. If I hadn't had my head ... I'd have remembered that the Husky rifles used two screws instead of the plate between the pins. Those large screws may be the pins, as the Martini-Henry has on the extractor pin. But whether they are screws holding pins, or the pins themselves, the small screws keep them in place. The Carl Gustaf Swede I have follows the Remington pattern of screw and plate. Good luck with the Roller.

Ed