PDA

View Full Version : More Questions?

wv109323
03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
What shotgun/choke do you have to shoot lead slugs out of?
I am assuming that you can not use screw-in chokes with slugs. Is that right?
I am assuming that a pump with a slug barrel is best.

UNIQUEDOT
04-01-2012, 06:45 AM
I use a rifle sighted smooth bore 870 and a fully rifled nef for slugs. You can use a gun with screw in chokes, but it's best to use a cylinder, or improved cylinder, or a rifled choke tube. I have seen some shotguns shoot factory rifled slugs with far better accuracy when using a modified choke tube!.

excess650
04-01-2012, 08:00 AM
The shotgun and choke sort of determine which slugs you shoot. Foster type hollow base slugs and Brenneke type slugs with attached basewad are better from smoothbores. I HAD a cylider bore rifle sight barrel on a Rem1100 and it would shoot coffee cup sized groups with WW foster type slugs at 50 yards.

I HAVE a fully rifled barrel on my 870 and a fully rifled Browning A-Bolt Hunter. These both like sabot slugs and the Browning will stay sub 2" at 100 yards with ammo it likes.

I've been shooting roundballs from an open choked 20" double. My loadings have been specific to my gun, but results can be good.

longbow
04-01-2012, 12:17 PM
"What shotgun/choke do you have to shoot lead slugs out of?"

Pretty much any shotgun can be used with some types of slugs. That doesn't mean it will be accurate.

"I am assuming that you can not use screw-in chokes with slugs. Is that right?"

You can shoot slugs through screw in chokes though cylinder bore or rifled will most likely give best results. Some choke tube manufacturers may not recommend using slugs through anything other than cylinder bore or rifled tube.

"I am assuming that a pump with a slug barrel is best."

Not necessarily. There are lots of good single shots, bolt action and a few other types that are good.

Generally speaking, hollow base Foster style slugs are for smoothbore barrels and full bore solid slugs are for rifled barrels.

Hollow base Foster slugs can be shot through chokes, full bore solid slugs cannot.

Most commercial slugs can be shot safely through either type of barrel but may not give good accuracy. For instance, most sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels and will not stabilize through smoothbore barrels. They can be shot safely, they just won't be accurate.

Full bore solid slugs should not be shot through any short of constricitng choke ~ cylinder bore or rifled barrel only!

What is your goal? Hunting? Self defense?

Do you have a shotgun now or are you planning to buy one for slug shooting?

If you are looking for a slug specific shotgun, a rifled barrel is probably your best choice but you will want sabot slugs or full bore solid slugs to get best results.

If you are stubborn like me and want to use a smoothbore then hollow base or attached wad type slugs are what you will need... or round ball.

excess650:

What was your load recipe for "...coffee cup sized groups with WW foster type slugs at 50 yards." ?

I have had some decent results with a Rapine full bore hollow base slug and with some homemade moulds casting thick skirt hollow base slugs but generally, I have gioven up on hollow base designs. Just curious.

Longbow

missionary5155
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Greetings
Some years ago I reamed my 12 guage Fox B so it had just .003 chokes restriction to use for shooting round ball. Worked very well. As time rolled on I decided to put screw in chokes into another set of Fox B barrels which I did. Decided to run a test with my favorite round ball load through numerous chokes and found that resrtictions of .007 worked just as well.
So I would have to say you just have to experiment. I no longer conclude anything with any firearm. They are peculiar entities and need to be treated as individuals. There are some generalarities that apply but coming down to the most accurate whatever combination for a particular barrel needs to be investigated with patience. To me this is just fantastic.
Mikie in Peru