PDA

View Full Version : Pewter from G**dwi11

Hal A Looyah
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
We should start using coded words to talk about our cheap pewter scrounging at the big chain thrift stores. I had to pass up three pieces at two different stores on Thursday, that were terribly overpriced. The pieces I've been seeing are at around $5 for half pound type items. I wonder if we are driving the value of this stuff up.

runfiverun
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
that's about the price of tin minus the shipping.
they lock up everything pewter and sell it for the price of silver.

fryboy
03-31-2012, 09:54 PM
i bought my highest priced pewter today .... 4.95 ... i guessed close to a pound but not quite , turns out i was right - 14 oz. , it is 6 lil octagon cordials i found a set of 8 online ...

http://www.pewtermart.com/item.php?id=45

some stores are crazy , some are all high and some are reasonable or a bargain even ( like that 3# pitcher i got for 75 cents )

jsizemore
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
The Goodwill and (in my area) Cause for Paws use ebay to price the stuff they have no idea it's going price. CFP has a 4" Stief porringer for $30 and it's sitting in a 5" Wilton porringer also for $30. You know they don't have a clue what they have or it's worth. They've been in the same display case for 2 years. In that time I've bought 9 Stief porringers for a buck a piece.

gbrown
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I bought 3# of Dutch pewter from an antique shop for $17.00--it's good. Spent $2.00 at another sh0p for 3/4 # picture frame. Looking at a Tea Set from another resale shop--97% tin for $50.00--its got to go close to 7#. Just can't seem to part with that much money. Maybe the price will come down. I may be paying a little more, just trying to build my hoard.