PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus triple beam scale

confederatemule
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
I have an Ohaus triple beam scale. Will I have a use for it in reloading?

Mule

Mk42gunner
03-31-2012, 09:10 PM
All of the triple beam Ohaus scales I have seen have been very high quality units, with a correspondingly high price.

It depends on what units the scale is calibrated for. Most I have seen were actually meant for use in a lab; consequently they read in grams, not grains.

Robert

jsizemore
03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a RCBS 304 triple beam scale that works great for reloading. It's really good for rifle loads that use extruded powders.

GLL
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
My RCBS 304 is an outstanding balance and easy to use (made by Ohaus). I also have a very nice old Ohaus triple-beam that is set up in grains. It is the only triple-beam design I have ever seen that is in grains rather than grams !

The 304 has excellent dampening and produces very repeatable results !

A triple-beam calibrated in grams would work fine for reloading BUT would require you to make some 0.1 grain equivalency tables centered around each of your particular loads !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/D744026476CC13F/standard.jpg

confederatemule
03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
What I have...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/ConfederateMule/2011-3-31%20Triple%20Beam%20Balance%20Scale/P3310006_crop.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/ConfederateMule/2011-3-31%20Triple%20Beam%20Balance%20Scale/P3310002_crop.jpg

I have no weights.

Mule

confederatemule
03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
It is easy to see that I am not a photographer. Sorry.

Mule

Mal Paso
03-31-2012, 11:25 PM
I have the same scale. You won't want to use it Powder, much too big. I use it for everything else like mixing boolit lube. I have an RCBS 505 also made by Ohaus that is my powder scale.

confederatemule
03-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks, y'all, for the responses. I have searched and can find no weights for sale. Can any of you tell me where I can get them? I looked on the Ohaus site and they did not offer them separate.

Mule

DukeInFlorida
04-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I been teaching reloading classes for a long time, and have lots of horror stories to share.

DO NOT use a scale, calibrated in GRAMS for reloading. A conversion error will cause life threatening danger.

Sell the triple beam scale, and buy a scale calibrated in GRAINS...........
Accurate to at least +/- .1 grain.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound. It pre-dates the metric system.

confederatemule
04-01-2012, 07:52 AM
I been teaching reloading classes for a long time, and have lots of horror stories to share.

DO NOT use a scale, calibrated in GRAMS for reloading. A conversion error will cause life threatening danger.

Sell the triple beam scale, and buy a scale calibrated in GRAINS...........
Accurate to at least +/- .1 grain.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound. It pre-dates the metric system.

Yes Sir.
To set your mind at ease, I have a Lee Scale. I just don't like it. For me, it is very touchy to operate.

Mule

DukeInFlorida
04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
with a balance beam scale, in order for it to be accurate, it HAS to be touchy.

confederatemule
04-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Oh. I can understand that. I am very new at this and have never use any other scale, so I thought, maybe, that there were others out there that were not as touchy. I can do it. I'll have to get use to it.

I can also see where trying to convert from gram to grains might not be as accurate as measuring in grains.

Mule

Mal Paso
04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The 3 extra weights are to Increase the scale Capacity by 2.5 kilograms. Won't help with powder. There are about 15.4 grains per gram and accuracy weighing typical loads would be horrible. Useless for weighing charges but still a great scale to have for larger items to heavy for a powder scale.

The RCBS 505 is magnetically dampened and not st touchy. They are $60+ by themselves but are included with the Press Kits for a better deal. I'll bet someone out there has an extra for sale for a lot less. That 2610 Ohaus you have is worth money and many of them were sold without the extra weights. The weights aren't missing they were accessories.

Mine has a Weights and Measures stamp from 1971. Where did the time go?

10mmShooter
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
...hmmm not a fan of having to do conversions...as others have said it introduces another opportunity for human error.

GLL
04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Mule:

The Triple Beam "Pan" style balance does not require separate weights. It is not good for reloading purposes though.

I see no reason not to use a gram calibrated balance (sensitive design) for measuring powder since it is the "balancing" that is important. Get the weight approximate in grams and simply set the weight using "grain" check weights and balance away using the trickler. When using a RCBS 504 or the equivalent Ohaus "Dial-O-Gram once it is set for a particular weight I do not change it for a particular load sequence. The key is a set of calibrated grain check weights. You do not make any arithmetic conversion after the first approximation.

OHAUS Dial-O-Gram (grams)
http://www.fototime.com/50F67307A269B6F/standard.jpg

OHAUS Triple-Beam (grains)
http://www.fototime.com/DA3040C7B9B7391/standard.jpg

Jerry

375RUGER
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Touchy of course. But if his Lee is like the one I got rid of years ago it would hang up all the time, it did not move freely. No good if you want repeatability. Maybe mine was a fluke and this is not the norm for the Lee scale, IDK.

rodm1
04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Touchy of course. But if his Lee is like the one I got rid of years ago it would hang up all the time, it did not move freely. No good if you want repeatability. Maybe mine was a fluke and this is not the norm for the Lee scale, IDK.

My Lee scale dues the same thing! A scale is one thing you can't go cheep on if you value your health. It doesn't seem like there is any high quality beam scales available.

I recently found this guy he sells a tunned scale that can read a grain of powder for about $200.
Scott Parker
661 364-1199
vld223@yahoo.com

mdr8088
04-09-2015, 05:54 PM
When I started out with my lee scale I thought it had problems. I even said this thing is touchy. I've tried several electronic scales, don't use anything from Harbor Freight. I have a Frankfort Arsenal digital now. I'll take the little Lee scale any day over it. As long as you shake the pan to spread out the powder it's more accurate than the electronic," I've weighed it five times and it weighs five different weights..." marvel of engineering. I can't say anything bad about other beam scales because I haven't used them. If you know how to use a Lee scale, it works. Throwing money at a problem doesn't make it better, look at the gooberment.

JSnover
04-09-2015, 06:05 PM
+1 on tossing the Lee scale. Get an RCBS, you'll be much happier.

troyboy
04-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Lee`s scale works just fine. Might take a little time to figure out but will work as any other. A whole lot can be said about learning what is at hand.

EDG
04-09-2015, 07:21 PM
The Lee scale is an undamped piece of carp. If you want to wait 2 or 3 minutes for it to quit oscillating you might be happy with it. I wound up with 1 of them when I bought some other loading tools. I tinkered with it until it died. I have 6 other scales and they are all FAR better than the Lee.
I inherited another. They are not worth the postage it costs to mail them so I cannot even give the last one away.

salpal48
04-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I have used both Ohaus Grain and Gram scales with no adverse effect. with a simple knowledge og math and conversion. . you will get a very accurate weigh. . The theory that Grams are NG for loading is not true. all euro loading date Is in Grams or Drams. The gram scale Is the best method Of loading English express and converting Black powder drams to grams
. enclosed photo of my scales
The One is a Welch with The Ohaus in the back ground. The larger Is a Christian Becker . This Is an OverKill scale will measure in 1/ 1000 of a grain. using Chemical balance weights.
Sal