PDA

View Full Version : Gun show

dragonrider
03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Got a gun show happening about 40 miles away, guess I will leave now. I let you know if it was worth it.

Rex
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
If they have coffee and pie there it will be worth while.

wallenba
03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
They never have anywhere to sit and take a break. I have spinal stenosis and need a cane with me now. Things move slowly and the crowd just shuffles along. Because of that my knees get stiff too. I don't go anymore due to that. I'm sure I miss out on a lot of good stuff. Just being there with 'my kind of people', was fun. I miss it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I love the kind of shows that have lots of "private vendors" ! There is always a strange mix of goodies. The FFL vendors are fine as well if you're in the market for a new firearm. I try to go to gunshows that are in the boonies (within 150 miles of the BIG city) during the same weekend as a gunshow in the BIG city (minneapolis and it's suburbs-in my case)...the FFL guys are always in the BIG city...the private vendors thrive in those boonie shows :)
Jon

dragonrider
03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Got back an hour ago, it really was not worth it. I think I will be scratching that one off my list from now on too. It seems like vendors all think that they are selling gold. Prices were rediculous. Have been looking for a 45 ACP revolver for a long time now. Prices seem to have come down some from the last show I was at, from $1100 to $900. Still overpriced by 75%. Did see one that was $500, could not believe so I looked closer, rust pits all over it.......... under a fresh blue job. Saw that new Ruger 1022 take down, pretty slick, was priced at $385, thought about it but already have a 1022 and don't need a take down so I passed. There was a bunch of 91/30 for $125, looked like NOS, they were loaded with cosmoline, serial #s did not match. Passed on those also as they don't appeal to me.

JonB wrote, "I love the kind of shows that have lots of "private vendors" and that is exactly the kind of show I will be going to next week. Happens twice a year and is my favorite, about the only show I have bought anything at in ten years. It is small, about 60 tables, and being small it allows one the time to talk to the sellors, most of whom are just folks with stuff to sell. Happens at the Lunenber Sportsmans club in Lunenberg, Ma. next Saturday, April 7 only.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2012, 06:00 PM
. Have been looking for a 45 ACP revolver for a long time now. Prices seem to have come down some from the last show I was at, from $1100 to $900. Still overpriced by 75%. .

ME TOO !!!
are you looking at the S&W mod 1917 ?
or something more modern...Mod. 25 ?

Anyway, I took the Lipsey RBH out yesterday.
using some 45 acp ammo I loaded a while back, using
boolits from an RCBS mold...a 240 gr. RF sized to
0.452 (the throats on that RBH measured 0.4535 from my slugging)
so I wasn't looking for success, just to plink a few rounds.
But I did have some success.
no barrel leading and fairly accurate "off hand" at 25 yards,
I was getting 3 to 4" groups and no fliers in the 50 rds shot.
that's all the better I can shoot off hand with stock iron sites.
I did get alot of soot from the lube coming out of the cylinder gap
and also in the cylinder and on the throat. That RCBS mold has
a fairly large lube groove...more on that sometime later.
I will be loading some with boolits sized to 0.454 and hope they chamber
and maybe TL lubing them instead of the 50/50 I used.

Good luck next weekend,
Jon

imashooter2
03-31-2012, 07:56 PM
I looked for a long time before I found this 625 for $400 in 2007.

<=============

At that time, the going price was $500 for a 4 inch and $600+ for a 5 inch.
That was for a lock gun. The prices for pre lock revolvers has just gone through the roof...

dragonrider
03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
I saw several 625's, but they were all "Jerry Miculek" signature models $800 and up. I don't need to pay for some famous fellas signature. At $400 I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I used to have a 1917 S&W, sold it in a weak moment, (where is the a$$ kicken smiley when you need it).
JonB right now I will take any S&W in 45 ACP, will not take a Colt.

waksupi
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Gun show here this weekend is pretty good. New bunch of guys running it, and not a Beanie Baby in sight! Lots of guns.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I looked for a long time before I found this 625 for $400 in 2007.

ahhh, 2007.........that'd be PRE-Obama scare buying frenzy.
Still a good deal though.
I'd like to find one of those mod 625 w/5" bbl.
Jon

William Yanda
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Rochester, NY gun show is this weekend too. $8 admission. I went last Dec. Very little casting related stuff. +1 on overpriced guns, one whole row of evil black guns. I had more fun at the indoor yard sale being held next door.