PDA

View Full Version : Need help lubing the mold

Flintlock Hokie
03-31-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a Lee aluminum mold for round balls. Do I need to lube anything but the sprue plate and alignment pins?

What should I use for lube? I found one post that mentioned using 2-cycle oil. (I tried a high temperature grease, but it seemed to gum up a bit.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

:confused:

Thanks!

montana_charlie
03-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Anti-sieze compound is good for the sprue plate pivot and the mounting screws. be sparing in the application. Don't let it run loose.

For flat zones, like mould top/sprue plate bottom and for alignment pins/holes mating Bullshop's Bullplate is very good. Some say that synthetic 2-cycle oil is an equivalent to Bullplate.

CM

MtGun44
03-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Bull plate lube from the Bull Shop in Alaska is the reference standard. Many have reported
good results with some of the synthetic 2 stroke oils, but others report indifferent results.
So - try a few different synthetic 2 stroke oils and use them VERY sparingly, like barely moisten the tip
of a Q-tip and use this for the alignment features and under the sprue plate.

I have real Bull Plate lube and it is excellent. You may still be able to mail order it, do a
search on "Bull Shop" - they are apparently at least partly closed down, the situation is
a bit unclear right now.

Bill

Flintlock Hokie
04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
As of today, Bull Shop is still taking orders for lube.

MikeS
04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Check the sticky in the lube forum about lubing a mould. In it I posted an image of the instructions for lubing a mould using a BullPlate like lube. It shows a Lee 2 cavity mould, so you should be all set on where to lube, now just get some lube, and you're all set.

454PB
04-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I quit lubing my Lee moulds many years ago.....it causes more problems than it solves.

I own a lot of them, they have cast thousands of boolits, and none of them has had any problems. The trick is to use either a sprue knocker (if you use one) or the table top to align the mould halves as they close.

MtGun44
04-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry to disagree, but Bull plate will not cause any problems if you don't get it into
the cavity, only helps.

Bill