PDA

View Full Version : 54 ramrod setup

RhodeHunter
03-31-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm using 3/8-inch, with 10-32 in my ramod setup for the Lyman .54. Is that the correct setup? I got the 4-ft fiberglas one from Track. My other three-eights rod is aluminum with a rough-spinning tee-handle that I got for the .50 CVA.

The second time cleaning the Lyman .54 I used a .36 scraper to get into the patent breech. It's only about a centimeter long, a short cuss of a ramrod tip. I don't think it's getting in all the way, hitting the 3/8-inch rod. There was some brown color on the patch too. I don't like patent breech for this reason.

As a side note, I ordered 12 issues of Muzzle Blasts from eBay, from the year I was born: 1965. A lot of it is exactly what goes on this board. Lots of building your own guns, because it was much more affordable. I'm also about half way through Roberts book.

Only my second time shooting the Lyman recently, I forgot powder. Loaded a dry ball - was distracted somehow. Screw attachment worked fine. Ball came out with a good heave ho.

RhodeHunter
03-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Although the purpose of the scraper is not exactly to put a cleaning patch on it, I may have done so, to see what I would pick up; I was gentle about it. I also ran a patch on top of the another type of tip, the breech brush, and that seemed to go in a little deeper, and also picked up brown color.

RhodeHunter
03-31-2012, 12:50 AM
I forgot to mention, I always use the brass rod guide/ muzzle protector when using my two 3/8 rods, when loading and cleaning.

03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Sounds OK to me. Sometimes I also use a dedicated scraper jag for running a patch. On some of the jags there is enough "meat" to add a couple of grooves. Just chuck up in drill or drill press and file-in or cut-in (hack saw blade) the grooves. Another way to reach into the patent breech is to use a patch wrapped around a small, worn out bore brush. If you do a lot of cleaning and wiping- might add a muzzle guard to your rod.