PDA

View Full Version : Longshot Powder With 770gr slug

gvanzeggelaar
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Any suggestions on this? It is a fullbore slug in a 3" 12 gauge.

SuperBlazingSabots
03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
A question comes to mind, who's shoulder are you going to use to fire a 770gr slug with longshot powder, its going to kick like a mule in both direction!
Most shooters will use a slower burning powder like IMR4759, 4227, VN110, IMR7383, RE-17, RL-15 with a starter powder Blue Dot that is from Ed Hubel camp, IMR4756, Alliant Steel maybe!
Perhaps Turbo, Ed Hubel, Greg or Sir James will help you better.
I have left the from hell camp after firing my own 950 grain full bore slug mold that I had made
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/FullboreslugWeb.jpg
It took more than a year to heal, now I have joined the chicken camp!
Another one of my full bore slug mold from way back " Yesterday when I was young so many happy songs were waiting to be sung "
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/BrassSlugMould.jpg
Have a wonderful day.
Ajay
Video Memories
VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabots!
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

gvanzeggelaar
03-31-2012, 12:42 AM
My shoulder. Only thing I dont want to do is blow up a gun. Recoil doesnt bother me.

Greg5278
03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a Subsonic load that you could use as a starting point. The load is for my 880gr slug, and was Pressure Tested at Ballistic Research. As is the pressure and velocity are 8266 PSI and 1054 FPS. That will give you a low enogh load to start. Your velocity should pick up about 50 FPS or so. Longshot is tempermental in heavy loadings. I woul increase 1- 1.5gr at a Time. I used Federal Deep base Hulls, but Fiocchi 3" should be fine too. Do not swap out the hulls after the powder charge has been increased.
Greg

gvanzeggelaar
04-01-2012, 06:35 AM
What do you recomend for a starting charge? Also how much difference does the hull make? I have a bunch of new AA hulls laying around and would like to use them.

SuperBlazingSabots
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Hello Gvanzeggelaar, were you able to try your 770 gr slugs with Longshot powder and how did they work out?
I hope Greg was able to give you some of his favorite loads.
Do keep us informed!
Ajay
Video Memories

SuperBlazingSabots
04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Hello Gvanzeggelaar, 770 grains is a few grains over 1 3/4 Oz. I'm taking the liberty of
giving you 1 7/8 Oz loads here:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Heavy17-8Ozloadscopy.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/13-4and17-8Ozloadscopy.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/17-8Ozloads.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/17-8OzloadsA.jpg
Take your pick!
Hope it helps.
Ajay
Video Memories

hubel458
04-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Greg is right in heavy loads Longshot gets squirrilly.
If you got to use shotgun powder use Alliant steel.
But best is IMR 4759. That heavy of slug use 80gr.
We used 90gr with 720 gr slug ok. Lab tested ok.Ed

turbo1889
04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Greg is right in heavy loads Longshot gets squirrilly.
If you got to use shotgun powder use Alliant steel.
But best is IMR 4759. That heavy of slug use 80gr.
We used 90gr with 720 gr slug ok. Lab tested ok.Ed

A quick Clarification on Hubel's numbers. When he said 80gr. and 90gr. he was talking about IMR-4759 powder. He was not talking about Steel powder (that would be too much Steel powder) and he was not talking about IMR-4756 powder. The difference between a 6 and a 9 is a huge difference between those two different IMR powders.

Just nailing down a few loose ends to make sure no one gets hurt due to misinterpretation. Also, for that weight range of slug I personally use about 70 grains of IMR-4759 which is a lighter load then what Hubel suggests but works fine for me and doesn't kick as bad and it is still plenty enough power for my needs.

Normally, straight walled hulls (Federal, Cheddita, Fiocchi, etc . . .) are usually preferred for loading big full bore diameter solid cast lead slugs. It can be done with Remington and Winchester single piece compression formed tapered wall hulls but most loading combinations don't go that direction. If you do use your AA hulls I would suggest you use a wad column consisting only of natural wad column components (Nitro Cards, Fiber, Cork, Wool, etc . . .) without any plastic gas seal. That way the internal taper of the single piece compression formed hulls will work to your advantage rather then working against you since the taper will make a good initial gas seal which is not normally the case with an all bio-degradable natural wad-column when used in a straight walled hull and at the same time the use of such an all natural wad-column significantly reduces and goes a long way towards eliminates the potential danger of producing a high pressure spike during initial powder ignition due to having too tight of a gas seal which can happen in certain situations with certain powders if certain plastic gas seals are pressed deep into the bottom of a tapered walled hull and produce way too tight of an initial gas seal.

gvanzeggelaar
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks alot guys. I hope to try some out this weekend.

gvanzeggelaar
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Well I loaded some up in AA hulls with AA wads (cut petals off). I got about 2" accuracy at 25 yards and they kick like a mule.

Lots of fun.

Greg5278
04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds good. You might want to back down the charge a little if recoil is too much. Check the hulls for unburned powder, if you are getting a dirty burn, you might not want to reduce the load. Adding weight to the Gun would be another idea. I have a 16 OZ Mercury reducer in my one SLug gun. It makes the balance a bit strange, but cures the 5 round Headaches. I used to get an instant Headaches from 5 rounds or so with a 615grain slug at 1555 FPS.
Greg

gvanzeggelaar
04-15-2012, 05:12 PM
There did appear to be some unburned powder in the barrel. I used 33-37 gr of Blue Dot