PDA

View Full Version : Reloading/casting uses for a microwave?

Patrick L
04-01-2007, 01:03 PM
I will shortly be replacing our 15 year old countertop microwave with a new unit. There's nothing really wrong with the old one, other than its 15 years old.

Before I just pitch it, are there any uses for such a thing in the reloading or casting world? I think I read a post about using one to melt/mix bullet lube, but what else may I be missing?

Scrounger
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
CarpetMan tells me he melts his wheelweights in his. Anyone else told me that, I'd think they was joshing me, but him, you never know...

dromia
04-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Don't own a microwave and wouldn't have one in the house, but if I did I think it could be quiet handy for making up batches of lube.

montana_charlie
04-01-2007, 02:09 PM
CarpetMan tells me he melts his wheelweights in his.
I think he uses it for curing his buffalo chips...which are then used to melt his wheelweights.
CM

MT Gianni
04-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I store my Felix Lube in an old heavy plastic container and nuke it to barely liquid then pour in the lubrisizer to refill. It would not warrant keeping it around to me but my wife lets me have free access to the main one. Gianni

waksupi
04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2706

A bit of microwave insight, as related to cast bullets.

utk
04-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I also use my microwave for warming up my "beeswax loafs" slightly. Then I can use a bread-knife to push through the loaf into more manageable slices.
My beeswax loafs are too big to melt in a double boiler, previously I tried a grater but that took forever and my hands got real messy.

One thing, I found that the beeswax took a lot of nuking, so long that the glass plate in the mw got hot enough to start melting the wax, so some kind of insulation is necessary (I used several sheets of thick paper).

MT Gianni
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Great read even the 2nd time, Ric. I use a container that previously held chicken or beef flavored paste for seasoning soups, gravy etc. Costco carries it as well as others. It has a screw top and works well for lot's of stuff. Gianni.

Pepe Ray
04-02-2007, 01:16 AM
And when it craps out completely it makes a neet little cupboard for powder or primer storage. Take the time to strip the electronics out of it to lighten it up.
Pepe Ray

1hole
04-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, I think of a microwave as an adjunct to the loading room, not for loading itself.

I'm lucky enough to have a walled off 10x12 corner of a three car garage for a loading room. It has enough space for a good bench, lots of shelves and a tiny "kitchen". A I installed a small apartment type refregirator, sink and microwave allow me to have snaks and drinks in my cave, done hot or cold! I love it.

Dale53
04-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a basic distrust of using a microwave for melting bullet lube ingredients. The problem, as I see it, is you have no idea how hot it is in various parts of the lube container. Microwaves do NOT work like typical heat generators. Put a pan on the stove and the bottom of the pan is the hottest place in the container. When you use a double boiler, you KNOW that nothing is hotter than 212 degrees as long as there is water in the pot. Microwaves heat from the interior and there may be central areas that are hot enough to damage the lube while the lube is still unmelted in other areas (that is why the instruction manuals caution you to let the finished food sit for a while before using-some parts are hot and some are still cold).

It is too easy to use a makeshift double boiler for melting lube safely for me to use a microwave. I know, I know, "I've been doing this for years with no problems". Well, how do you know? You have no way to measure the heat in various parts of the lube. So, you don't know...

The microwave oven is a marvelous unit for heating/cooking food under certain parameters. That's what I'll continue to use mine for.

Just my take. YMMV

Dale53

wiljen
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
The melting of WW in the microwave isn't as crazy as it may appear.

http://home.c2i.net/metaphor/mvpage.html

This guy has a system figured out to melt aluminum, brass, even cast iron using 1000 watt Microwave.

3sixbits
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Home grown foundries have been using microwave ovens for a long time. The trick is finding a crucible that fits. Oh yea, they stand them up on end for use.

Char-Gar
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I have been using a microwave for 15 years to mix and remelt bullet lubricant. I use a glass canning jar, that can take heat. I nuke the stuff for one minute at a time until there is a just a button of solid left. I then remove the jar and stir until the button goes liquid. this makes everything uniform in heat and prevents overcooking the lube.

I pour the melted lube directlly from the jar into the lubesizer. After it has cooled to a solid, I replace the metal lid on the jar and it will stay safe and clean.

If there are any downside to this, I have never seen it. Just don't crank the oven up and walk away from it. Do it in increments and stay by it to keep an eye on everything.