PDA

View Full Version : Hornady hand priming tool vs Lee

omgb
04-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Here's one for the books. My Hornady Hand Priming tool is a bigger PITA to use than the Lee. I just primed 400 case with it and I had 10 or so flipped primers and several instances where no primer was fed at all. Add to that all of the hassle of getting the right shell holder priming bushing and changing over the tool from large to small or changing the bushing when going from Lee to RCBS or Lyman or Redding shell holders and frankly, the Lee tool is better and about 50% cheaper too!

Dale53
04-01-2007, 12:58 AM
The Lee priming tool is "Ace's" for sure. I have several different types of priming tools, both hand and bench mounted. My "go to" primer is the Lee.

Dale53

Hunter
04-01-2007, 02:26 AM
I have no experience with hand priming tools so my question is why not use the press to seat the primers?

Bret4207
04-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Because the press is slower than death. I assume you mean one at a time. I can rip off 100 cases with a Lee or RCBS hand primer in maybe 3 minutes.

Now if you're talking a bench mounted primer press like the RCBS, I imagine it's just as quick.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
While I haven't used mine in a good while since I seldom reload on a single stage press any more, I've found the Lee Auto Prime to extremely hard to beat on cost vs. performance against any other design. It has a very good feel, especiallly if you take the time and care to lube it in the places where wear occurs.

Additionally, lubing it greatly extends the life and since the things are so inexpensive, one can have one for small and one for large primers for less than the cost of any other brand out there.

No suprise the Lee beat the Hornady. It's been beating the higher priced versions from other manufacturer's for years. I've read the newest gadjet out from RCBS may actually be as good or perhaps even better, but I have yet to see it and since the Lee's give such good service for practically no money, I doubt I'll try it.

Regards,

Dave

utk
04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Has anybody tried RCBS' new hand priming tool? It is called "RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool", #90201 at about $40.
It doesnīt use conventional shellholders but has universal shellholder jaws which adapts themselves to sizes from .32 ACP to .45-70. The primer magazine is square so primers can be conviently "poured" into it.
The same jaw design has been used for a couple of years in their hand-held APS-strip priming tool.

omgb
04-01-2007, 11:07 AM
The RCBS tool sure seems promising. The whole idea of a universal shell holder and the square tray seems to solve a bunch of the nagging little irritations found on the other tools. I would think the strip primer would be even better.

I have tried to date the following methods of priming:

1. The priming tubes and system on the Rockchucker press. Slow, awkward and not very sensitive. I've crushed more than a few primers this way. Making matters worse, is that initial set up is tedious. The clearance has to be just right or primers either don't get picked up or worse, you get a whole bunch of them falling out at once. I gave this up 25 years a go. I'd give this method a 5 out of ten for form and function.

2. RCBS bench mounted priming tool. More feel to be sure and it's faster than the press mounted system but you still have a tube full of primers swinging back and forth. Not really dangerous but it's annoying and the feel of the tool changes as the primers are depleted. The CG of the mechanism shifts as the weight of the primers diminishes. It's OK but there has to be something better. This is more like a 7 our of ten.

3. Old Lachmiller tool. Argh! One at a time with messy fingers! The feel is great, the other disadvantages are too many to list. I can't believe RCBS still lists this tool. I'd go 7 out of ten here for accuracy but in efficiency it's a 5 at best. So over all, 6 out of 10.

4. The old Lee hand tool. The feel is excellent, you get great control over the primer seating operation. But, it's one primer at a time, you have to touch each primer and you need different heads for each case and they do not snap in and out but rather screw in and out. Way too inconvenient for large batches. 5 out of 10.

5. The old Lee primer system that requires you set a primer on a base, place the case over it and then using a rod and a hammer, drive the case onto the primer. OK, the disadvantages are obvious. How many of us who have used that system have had primers go bang and had the lovely sensation of small primer frags blowing back into our fingers? I'd be willing to bet it's 100% Add to that that this method is the slowest of all and it get Zero points from me..

6. The "One at a time on the single stage press method" OK, no feel, slow as molasses and you have to handle every single primer by hand. It works, but so does the above method. The only advantage here is that there is no hammer involved. :mrgreen: 4 out of 10.

7. The Lee Auto Prime hand tool. It's light, easy to use and it has good hand feel. It gives excellent control over the priming process and it is well balanced. Too bad you need special shell holders. Equally bad is that it's made from aluminum and wears out quickly. Also, the cover for the priming tray is none too secure on the tool. It can come off if one isn't very careful to install it perfectly. Once in operation though, the tool is fast, and it never fails to feed a primer and they do not get flipped in the tray while priming. The cost is fair too. Less than $30 gets you the tool, large and small adapters and a set of shell holders. That's a lot of bang for the buck. I rate this tool an 8 out of 10.

8. The Hornady tool. First the good points. It's steel and well made. It stands on its own when full or empty so you can set it down and not have to worry about spilled primers. It gives excellent control over priming force and depth. It uses any body's shell holders,.... sort of. Not all makes of shell holders will fit the priming rods. Redding for example does not work out so well. Ditto Bonanza, but hey, who other than me has any Bonanza stuff these days? Now the negative. The tool is large and does not balance well in the hand. The primer tray is difficult to fill if you are using Federal primers. These boxes are much bigger than Win or CCI and the third through 5th rows of primers cannot easily be poured into the tray. I ended up having to dump primers from the first two rows of the box, then open the other end and dump two rows and then, finally, dump the middle rows onto an RCBS primer tray and then invert that over the tool. Geez, what a hassle. That was a problem with the Lee tool too though so honestly, that's more of an issue with Federal's packaging. The fact that the tray can swing around to different positions is a plus and a minus that cancel each other out. It's a plus because it accommodates either left or right handed people well and it lets you hold the tool with with the fingers gripping the seating lever or you can place the lever arm in the palm of the hand and grip the body of the tool in your fingers. It's a minus because the tray does tend to shift around in use and it's distracting worrying about whether or not that stupid thing is going to shift. You remember those party noise makers that you hold in your hand and twirl? This thing feels like it's going to do just that, twirl. It won't, but the sensation that it might is distracting. The tool is also big. Big in hand tools is not a good thing. On the plus side, in use, there is a cut off that happens just as you seat the primer, thus isolating the tray of primers from any possible ignition source should you some how manage to discharge a primer in the tool. Last but not least, the real PITA of this tool is that when changing shell holders, you have to change a special bushing that centers each priming rod in the holder. This process is tough because not all of the bushings fit the various shell holders perfectly. RCBS and Hornady work well but some of the others, most notably Bonanza and Lee to not. The whole problem stems from a little known fact. Each shell holder maker has a different standard for the priming hole dimensions. Some are very tight others are very loose. In truth, they are designed to work well with their own priming rods and sleeves (that little metal sleeve that forms the cup on the priming arm of your press) and they do. That's why you never hear any complaints about the fit of shell holders and press mounted priming rods. On the Hornady hand tool however, the rod fits very loosely in each shell holder. So, a small sleeve bushing is used to perfectly center the rod in each holder. It works very well but it necessitates having 4 different bushings and then knowing which bushing to use with which maker's shell holder. If you run into one that doesn't fit, you either have to buy another shell holder, turn down the Hornady sleeve or open up the center hole of the holder thus ruining it for use on any other priming system. If this sounds like too much trouble, join the club. This whole thing becomes way too complicated. The dang too is not cheap either; $40 plus bucks or so. At best then, I give the Hornady hand tool a 7.5 out of 10.

That's my take. If you have the RCBS strip tool or the new hand tool, I'd love to hear your report on the matter. I'd also like to hear from Redding T7 users who have the press mounted priming system. Does it work well or does it block the front of the press to the point that it gets in the way?

ktw
04-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I have one of the old Lee screw in shellholder priming tools. Great feel, but "one at a time" slow. Could use some more shellholders for it if anyone has some to spare.

I have the 310 tool priming chamber dies for most cartridges I load for. Good feel but "one at a time" slow.

I have one of the RCBS tray priming tools. Love the tray. Far and away gets used the most. Only have one. Get tired of switching back and forth between large and small primer sizes.

Plan to pick up one of the lee tray priming tools one of these days.

-ktw

montana_charlie
04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I used the one-at-time-in-the-press-ram for eons and thought I was right uptown.
Received a Lee Auto-Prime as a gift, and never touched another primer.

I'm sure I still have the priming goodie for my press (somewhere) but I won't cry if I never find it.
CM

Silicon Wolverine
04-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Ive had one of the new strip primers and i have to say its a PITA unless you have a source for preloaded strips. My local dealer carries regular bulk primers and i have to load them into the strips before i can load them into the tool. I used it for about 400 rounds and went back to my Lee auto prime. I got rid of it. The strip primer system in a progressive press might be OK but in the hand model is just an extra step and more things to go wrong.

SW

utk
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
The new RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool uses regular primers that are dumped onto the tray and "shaken right".

I didnīt like the primer strip idea either...

omgb
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I thought that strip tool was a gimick that would prove too much trouble. It's one of thsoe things that sounds so good in principle but in execution proves to be a cluster "you know what". Another way to sell CCI primers? Who knows.

utk
04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
... or empty primer strips and a strip loader? No way!

omgb
04-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey, utk, what's it like outside in Sweden right now? We're 2:15 PM. low 80s, with 10-15 kph winds with occasional gusts to 18. Low humidity, no clouds, an altogether excellent afternoon. And you?

Saugus, CA USA 30 miles North of Los Angeles in the high desert country of the Santa Clarita Valley

utk
04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi omgb! Right now, at 11.20 PM, itīs only 42 degrees but weīve had some 60 degrees today. Sunny and beautiful, all snow disappeared weeks ago. That is approx 3-4 weeks "too early".

Urban
Vasteras, one hour west of Stockholm

versifier
04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Lee's AutoPrime2 gives you the best of both worlds. It's fast, easy, and press-mounted, basically a cross between an AP and a ram-prime. Mine has been in use for well over 15000 rounds and shows no obvious sign of wear, except the red plastic storage box's hinge is not what it once was. The tool can't be beat. I have it on a little Lee Reloader press thet I also use for push-through sizing. I have never tried a better system, just as fast as the APS and you don't have to load the strips.

Uncle R.
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Lee's AutoPrime2 gives you the best of both worlds. It's fast, easy, and press-mounted, basically a cross between an AP and a ram-prime.

I agree. I've primed tens of thousands of cases with mine and there's no visible wear - plus the seating depth is adjustable. I prefer it to the hand-held auto-prime 'cause it's more reliable and doesn't give you hand cramps even if you run hundreds of primers through it in a single usage.

The Auto-Prime II ram-priming system isn't fool proof. It has a couple of little quirks that will cause missing primers or feed jams, but once you learn to deal with those flaws it's the best system I've found yet.
Uncle R.

1hole
04-02-2007, 08:00 PM
7. ... Equally bad is that it's made from aluminum and wears out quickly. Also, the cover for the priming tray is none too secure on the tool. It can come off if one isn't very careful to install it perfectly. [/QUOTE]

You are right on both counts. But...

If you keep a dab of lube (I use Kiwi Neutral Shoe Wax) on the contact surfaces it helps a lot. The soft wax lubes it pretty well and is clean too.

I put a rubber band over the lid after filling, that keeps everything in place.

Dale53
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
The new Lee Auto Prime has a much better method of holding the clear plastic cover on (it actually latches). This is a big improvement although the rubber band is a real decent fix.

Schuetzen shooters load on the line with hand tools. The Lee shines here even tho' I have three Pope Style re-decappers...

Dale53

twoworms
04-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I have a Lee prime tool that I use on my loading press. Its not real fast for me but I like the feel of the primer going home. I can tell if a primer pocket is a little big.

I also have a RCBS tool that you pick the primers up in a tube and then load the case and rock the loading arm to load a primer. Its fast and has a good feel, but it takes a to much time to set up and use.

Tim

cabezaverde
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a Lee prime tool that I use on my loading press. Its not real fast for me but I like the feel of the primer going home. I can tell if a primer pocket is a little big.

I also have a RCBS tool that you pick the primers up in a tube and then load the case and rock the loading arm to load a primer. Its fast and has a good feel, but it takes a to much time to set up and use.

Tim

I just picked up one of these (RCBS) at a gun show and am trying it out.

Wayne Smith
04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I guess I'm the only one with the RCBS hand tool. I got it after breaking 2 Lee hand tools - not worth the hassle. RCBS hand primer tool with the tray - well made (it's RCBS!) and it's steel. Uses the standard shell holder, I didn't get the one with the universal because I use so many unusual cases. If I load it, I have a shell holder. Once you figure out how it goes together it works nicely. I've only used it a couple of times - have 60 8x56R and a bunch of 38/357 cases to do - but it seems as smooth as the Lee and much sturdier. I haven't yet changed from large to small primers - I'll figure that out soon. I think it's inherant in the assembly, simply choose the unit you want and install it.

dubber123
04-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Wayne, you're not alone, I use the RCBS, I spent the extra after seeing a friend break the handle off my brothers LEE without too much effort. I have done many thousands of rounds and been very happy. More comfortable handle too in my opinion.

Steve E
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
omgb

Not quite 100% of having a primer go bang with the old Lee Loader, I loader probably 3K to 4K rounds on my old 45 Colt and 357 Lee Loaders back in the 70's and got off lucky without ever having a bang. As a matter of fact I've never had a primer go off during the loading process since moving on to other priming methods. I have 2 of the Lee Priming tools (one with the small tray and one with the large tray). I have had to only replace the link bar on the large tool once since getting it back in the early 80's and I have loaded untold several thousand rounds. I guess I can count myself lucky.

Steve E.............

Swagerman
04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I too use the RCBS hand tool, just change out the shellholder for different calibers and its production time.

Screw the other brands with their different shellholders that won't work on a standard reloading press.

Jon K
04-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Here's one more vote for Lee Auto Prime. I have been using it, and wore out many parts. I have also, bought and tried the Hornady & RCBS Hand tool, but like Chevy & Ford, everyone has their favorite. I gave the RCBS & Hornady more than a fair chance, for ease of use, I still prefer the Lee. I keep one set up for large and one for small primers. I did the same when using Hornady & RCBS, and price is not an issue in this case.
In the end it's the one you're most comfortable with, that's the best choice for you.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon
:castmine:

Mk42gunner
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I have one of the RCBS hand priming tools. I bought it after using both the Lee and RCBS belonging to friends. It feels better in my hand than the Lee. Plus I like the fact that it uses standard shellholders; the way I have a spare.

Robert

omgb
04-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I primed a few more cases last night and used both the Lee and the Hornady for comparison. For me, the Lee just balances better and feels better in the hand. I also primed a few on my T7 press using the one at a time primer arm (not the push feed dealie) I found the feel great. It's pretty clear though that if I added the primer feed it would block the entire front of the press was well as get in the way of the little bar that rotates the too head. Redding dropped the ball on that one.

monadnock#5
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I bought the RCBS handheld after breaking the linkage on my Auto Prime. The RCBS just isn't as smooth as the Lee. The lack of smoothness translates to loss of sensitivity. So I bought a replacement part and went back to the Lee. I also found that not every "standard" shell holder will fit the RCBS (I have Lyman's that won't fit). So you still end up with multiple shell holders for the same caliber.

Ken

dmftoy1
04-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I had the same complaint about an RCBS and a Hornady that I owned (multiple shell holders). The RCBS Universal solved that one for me. I'd say it's easily as smooth as the Hornady. The RCBS with shellholders was a complete ***, but the RCBS "Universal" works really well for me. FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave

flutedchamber
04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok, I'll be odd man out. I like the Forster Co-Ax priming tool. Easy to adjust, universal shell holder, and the primers stack sideways, so it is a bit safer. I have had mine for 10 years and not had one problem.

Bret4207
04-22-2007, 08:30 AM
I've broken 4 Lee's. So I now have the older model, lasts years, RCBS and it's OK although somewhat awkward. I like the idea of the new RCBS with the Co-Ax style universal shell holder, but like my Co-Ax press I imagine there'll be issues with odd sized cases that won't quite fit.

BTW- typing with band-aides on 4 fingers is slow. Note to self- let the item COOL before picking it up!

trooperdan
04-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Looks like the APS priming system is in trouble if this assemblage is any indication! I use and like the RCBS strip primer system. I have to admit the strip loader has a learning curve and had some frustrating moments in the beginning!

Once the strips are loaded, it is dead easy to use and I like it a lot. It uses the universal shell-holder and that is something that you look at and say "Why didn't we do that a LOT earlier"? :)

The draw-back is it is usually more difficult and expensive to find primers in the APS strips and only CCI loads their primers in strips. But I like gadgets and it gives me a couple more to play with!

Wayne Smith
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I gotta call RCBS tomorrow. I was priming some 7.62 TOK with CCI small pistol primers and my Hand Priming Tool allowed the small pistol primers to turn in the shoot down to the priming ram. Had 9 installed sideways even when I was watching! I just hope they have a fix already.

DLCTEX
04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
The new Lee safety prime has to be used with select Lee presses(mine is classic cast turret), but is far and away my favorite priming method. The new suface in the primer tray is the best I've tried at flipping the primers right side up, there is total separation from the tray while seating the primer, so there is no chance of a chain detonation, the lid locks on securely, the primer seats with good feel for seating. I use it in single stage mode when just doing cases and hardly ever use my auto primes anymore. Changing from large to small primers is a matter of seconds. DALE

BluesBear
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Several years ago, after breaking several Lee hand primer tools and wearing out about a dozen I was very glad to see RCBS introduce their non-APS hand tool.

I love it.

My only complaint was that it wouldn't work with Lyman shell holders.
That is until I modified the tool and the holders. (note older RCBS holders won't work as is either)

The only way I can induce mine to feed primers sideways is to not properly seat the primer tray into the handle.

utk
04-30-2007, 07:55 AM
My new RCBS non-APS tool doesnīt use shellholders at all. It has built-in jaws that will grip any case from .32ACP to .45-70

RCBS #90201 (Havenīt tried it much yet, mostly I use a progressive).

Urban

catboat
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I have a Lee hand primer, and liked it a great deal. For some reason, I decided to use the RCBS hand primer tool. I think I justified that decision based on being able to use the same shell holder for priming as for loading on the press.

I have gone back to the Lee hand primer. I actually have two of them. I got one cheap at a used box o' stuff at a gun store. One is set up for large primers, the other for small primers.

The RCBS is frustrating to use. The time saved ("convenience?") of using the same shell holder, is more than offset (with emphasis on "MORE", a lot MORE) with taking apart that so-called primer safety arm/separator, and pressing in/out the plastic assembly to change from large to small primers. THEN, to make it even more annoying, the damn piston, which transfers the nutcracker arm to the axial primer seating pushing action, always catches on the inside of the unit. It requires a lot of jiggling and prodding to get it just rignt to fit. Then, you have the issue of losing the stupid little knurled screw that holds the primer separator arm on the lever.

If you want to buy it, I'd sell it (RCBS priming tool) for $15 +shipping. I can assure you that it hasn't been used much.

I'm staying with the Lee tool. It satisfies my needs.

Swagerman
05-04-2007, 11:19 AM
OK, you old cohgers. Quit putting the bad-mouth on the RCBS hand priming units, and waving the flag for the Lee crappers.

I've owned both, and have to totally dissagree with your put downs on the RCBS.

First of all, you have to be smarter than the equipment you intend to operate. :D

The Lee gadgets are designed for chimpanzes and fumble fingered galoots who can't tie their own shoes.

Yet a competent reloader can master the RCBS units with aplomb. :coffeecom

You whiners and detractors are the same camp that tout the virtues of the Lee powder measures and the plastic gumball machines they call progressive presses. :mrgreen:

Yet, I am found of the Lee Classic single stage press which I own, an huge assortment of Lee reloading dies and shellholders.

The Lee Classic turret looks like a winner as well, they all have my blessing...but not the hand squeez primers.

Long live the RCBS hand primers. :drinks:

Note: This all in fun, please don't take it seriously....:Fire: :???: :violin: :shock:

Jim

Sundogg1911
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
for my Pistols and revolvers I use the Dillon tubes and prime progressive.
(once i've deprimed and cleaned pockets)
for rifle, i'll either prime with the lee ram prime or the Lee auto prime. sometimes one at a time in the rock chucker. Other times i give the brass to my Daughter and get it back primed. (as long as I have cash in my wallet to give Her) ;-)

boolit_boy
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Note: This all in fun, please don't take it seriously....:Fire: :???: :violin: :shock:

Jim

Could not agree more. I view Lee the same as training wheels on a bike. Once you break a few tools, you graduate to proper reloading tools like RCBS :kidding:

BluesBear
05-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Swagerman, you make some very good points from several astute observations.

The only two secrets to the RCBS unit are to keep the lever compressed when changing the inserts and to keep the thumbscrew on the bigger side so you don't have to completely unscrew it to remove the guard.

I've modified my RCBS hand priming tool to work with my Lyman shellholders.
(and I've also modified my Lyman shellholders to work with my RCBS tool)
It's much smoother in operation than the Lee tools.

I've primed about 25,000 rounds with mine and it shows zero wear.
At least 20,000 of those were CCI pistol primers.

Driller640
05-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Hello, I use LEE nothing else eh, If it breaks, I get another one eh, only had one hand prime break, my one fault, had the dropsies, smashed on floor eh. Tried a friends RCBS stuff, no like eh. He as had a lot more trouble with his than I have with mine.I find alot of people I talk to bash Lee because it does not cost a arm and foot. If it didn't cost them a small penny it must be junk eh! Could replace Lee 2-4 times for the same price as some other brands, and they work just as well or better and just as good service when u call them, eh . Jusk my cold northern thinking

MGySgt
05-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Another one for the Lee Auto prime, I have had mine sine the late 70's, how many 1000's of 38's, 45's and 44's have been primed I don't rightly know - but a whole herd of them!

Recenetly I bought their tray of Shell holder heads for the press and the auto prime. Cheap - but they work well!

Drew