PDA

View Full Version : Erfurt Mauser

wallenba
03-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I spotted a sexy rifle today at a local dealer. A 1916 Erfurt 8MM Mauser. It's a civilian model or an extensively modified military one. The stock is nicely checkered with a nice patina and cheek rest (for lefty). The metal work is excellant and the bluing has a slight plum color. The bolt is turned down and checkered. There are no steps in the barrel. Was this made this way as a factory offering? The price is OK...$250.
Any history known by anyone about these?

Mk42gunner
03-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Considering 1916 was right in the middle of WWI, my money says it is a sporterized 98 or 98a (Carbine small ring long action).

Robert

pietro
03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
[The stock is nicely checkered with a nice patina and cheek rest (for lefty). The metal work is excellant and the bluing has a slight plum color. The bolt is turned down and checkered. There are no steps in the barrel.]

[ Was this made this way as a factory offering?] - No way, Jose' .

[ The price is OK...$250.] - VERY "OK"

"ERFURT" is the Royal Arsenal at Erfurt, Germany - which manufactured Mauser rifles & Luger pistols for the German Military from 1910 until 1918 in Suhl Germany.

The Royal Erfurt Arsenal, located in Thuringia, resulted from the acquisition by the German state (1840-1851) and merging (1862) of two private owned firearm firms situated in Saarn and Hattingen, Rhenania.
The Arsenal was endowed the best production machinery to warrant the Military the armament quality and quantity they needed.
After World War I, the Arsenal was dismantled.
One of its managers later created the ERMA firm, still known for its Luger copies in .22 Lr.
Erfurt was also authorized to manufacture Mauser 1898 Rifles & Carbines, prior to & during WWI, in both large ring & small ring configs.

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I picked up a Erfurt 1918/1920 date stamped small ring 98 action 8mm quite awhile back that had been attacked by a rampant "Bubba". It still retained the stepped mil. barrel and is very accurate in its Bishop stock.Robert

wallenba
03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I picked up a Erfurt 1918/1920 date stamped small ring 98 action 8mm quite awhile back that had been attacked by a rampant "Bubba". It still retained the stepped mil. barrel and is very accurate in its Bishop stock.Robert

If 'Bubba" did this one, he has a P.H.D. now. It's a beaut. Going back to see it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Pietro, I was wondering about the crown on the receiver ring. The lettering is all old fashioned stylized gothic like too. Neat.

bob208
04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
i have a 1916 erfurt it is all millitary and matching. the bolt handles were trund down and checkered on the bottom. also the barrels were truned with a taper rather then steps to save weight. they were engineer's carbines.

flounderman
04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I owned a persian mauser a long time ago. it had a tapered instead of stepped barrel and I think it was a small ring, 98. I don't remember if it said erfurt or not but it could have.

Boxhead
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Here's my Efurt, an 8x57. I picked it up as a consignment gun in north Idaho. It will be going to South Africa in June to chase plains game.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/FN_Wisner_PenHolder004.jpg