PDA

View Full Version : pp'ing for a lever action

bigted
03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
so i been playin with papering boolits for my marlin 95 and its going like so...

took a gg boolit...lyman 457643...ran it thru a lee .452 sizer with case lube on them for the sizing. when these are papered they are .458 inch diameter...paper ending just forward of the crimp groove... twisted into a tail and clipped after nice and dry. i then seat them over a 100 percent compressed load of bp with a felt wad between them and the powder...and in an unsized case that excepts the boolits kinda snug but not too tight...then i crimp them into the crimp groove for working thru the action...these primed with a lr primer...[cci 200]...in rem cases.

these fire very well and the paper makes it to the end of the barrel where it shreds into confetti and the wad lands around 30 feet from the barrel. nice and clean with no lube nor lead in the barrel. seem fair in accuracy for the short range ive shot them. going to try them at 1 and 200 yards when the snow leaves but for now im just experimenting and playing to see what works and what dont.

question is...is there anyone out there that has papered for a lever action and if so what success did you get? i got the idea of the gg boolits from the mathews paper jacket book but i used bp instead of his smokless. im not going to get into my load for what its worth but am very interested in others experiments with papering for the lever action.

Don McDowell
03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Ted I believe that Johnboy runs patched rounds thru his 45-75 Uberti.
I've done some patched in my 95 win. Biggest thing that I can see is that sometimes the leading edge of the paper gets dinked between the magazine and the chamber.
Other than that there really shouldn't be any reason why a levergun couldn't use patched rounds.

bigted
03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
don...i know that i have good success with those boolits described but they are gg boolits and id like to find or design a boolit mould that has a crimp groove and a band ahead of this groove of .450 and then to continue with a truncated semi-wadcutter style nose for hunting. other then this id want them to be slick like a regular paper patch slick would be.

i dont have the problem of dinging up the paper when it goes thru the action as my paper is crimped in the crimp groove so is protected from such abuse. miraculously the papered boolit goes the distance of the barrel without stripping the paper even with the crimp...i deduce this from the no leading from these fired boolits. now i have had boolits strip their paper and my what a mess but these seem to hold together well.

as a side note here is the unique ability of pure gum terpentine to remove the lead when the worse happens. thanks again don for that tip...it saves me countless hours of trying to remove the occasional lead streak from my greasers.

Don McDowell
03-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Ted I was told of the turpentine, and it worked so well I have felt the need to pass it on..But as always tickled to death if I can provide a bit of help or advice to someone and it works for them..

Back to the patched bullet thing, I don't believe a crimp is necessary if you were to use either enough neck tension to hold the bullet if going bore diameter, or even going to a .450 bullet and patching to groove.
Back in the day, they used neck tension to keep the bullet in place. Crimp is a function of smokeless powder as blackpowder kept the bullet from receeding inot the case. Originally even when loaded with smokeless they did not crimp, they still used neck tension, the cannelure you see on those old cases is what held the bullet from receeding into the case..
Anyway you might just for kicks and grins get ahold of Bernie at Old West Moulds and talk to him about what you have in mind , he may just be able to build you the mould you need, if he doesn't have something workable on hand already.