PDA

View Full Version : bored

Beekeeper
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
So like the title says I am bored.
Sick wife , stay at home and do all the chores.
Have time to doodle and think( bad for me, usually costs money).
Built a mold oven (kind like gearnashers) and was playing with it.
Good heat transfer but a lot of heat loss.
Was thinking about wrapping the outside with something to stop the heat loss and use a little less electricity (see I told you thinking was bad for me).
Thought about asbestos cloth but couldn't find any here in California. (No wonder at all).
Was thinking firebrick refractory compound but didn't know if it would stick to the outside of the box.
Any stationary engineers or steam train engineers here that might know or maybe a better idea?

Stuff is expensive ( I'm cheap) so like to get info or ideas for the project.

beekeeper

CGT80
03-29-2012, 10:32 PM
You could try fiberglass. The heating units used in restaurants to keep plates of food warm, use ceramic heating elements that get very hot. The housing is stainless sheet metal and they use white glass (angel hair?) around the elements as insulation. I do not know of an economical source for it though. The electrical wire I used to repair them had the same type of insulation woven around it, and it was crazy expensive.

blikseme300
03-30-2012, 06:00 AM
What you need is Kaowool. I got mine from a friend that works at an electrical power generation plant. I used this to insulate my melting pots and it works well. PM me if you want some as I still have a bundle.

Bliksem