PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Time from MP Molds?

mktacop
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Anyone have a rough WAG at the average shipping time for a MP mold (Payment sent on an in-stock mold to mold received?). Just curious and couldn't find anything using search function.

While I'm asking....is there a list anywhere of the molds that Miha can make? Can't locate one of those either.

kcinnick
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know, but I paid for an HG68 clone today, I'll let you now when I get it!

BRobertson
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Took about a week to get to me in Alaska.

Bob

40Super
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't know either, I've waited 9 days now so far from two companies and no word,no confirmation, was told(by one place) they were sent out last weekend ?????? My check wasn't cashed yet today so I have no idea. All of them were "in stock". Maybe its normal in this business to not inform the customer about the status of an order .

GLL
03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Since Mihec makes custom molds for Group Buys those that he has available are "overruns" not catalog items ! He does not make molds as individual orders.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=143551

Shipping times are all over the map ! Miha ships from Slovenia in a very timely fashion but the USPS and Feds at the border seem to sit on them periodically for weeks on end ! Some of mine took only a week but a few were held up a couple months !

Jerry

Frozone
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Took about a week to get to me in Alaska.

Bob

yeah, that is about average, but we waited almost a month a while back.
It depends on the good will of US Customs.
Sometimes they pass em through quickly, other times they sit on em a bit.

mktacop
03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks Gents, just the information on shipping I was looking for!

As a side note, does anyone know if Mihec does a mold similar to the Lyman 452374 (Heavy RN)?

Steak Daddy
03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Just signed for my USPS special delivery package from overseas yesterday. It took 12 days from initial inquiry to Miha until receipt from Slovenija to Seattle.

Not only is this a fantastic looking mould, but I even got treated to some local news from Mihaville. Apparently, they've got some total babes over there!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ta60Q7Pj4to/T3NnRlYXdzI/AAAAAAAAASk/ALDHDfRb7GQ/s800/SDC10059.JPG

Thanks again Miha for the fast turnaround, quick shipment, and splendid machine work! Looking forward to receiving the next one from the 429244 group buy that's in the queue.

- SD
Seattle, WA

Frozone
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
..... does anyone know if Mihec does a mold similar to the Lyman 452374 (Heavy RN)?

He did a RN HP for the 45 ACP a while ago, 2 years or so.
I think there was a rerun a few times.

MiHec specializes in the Cramer style HP pin molds.
I don't recall a true RN design, his all have at least a small meplat
The 452-200 he did has a fairly large HP and likely goes 215g or more solid.
http://mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=2&=SID

mktacop
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks Frozone!

40Super
03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Yep ,I guess that is why mine has taken a little time, didn't know about the extra customs they had to go through. They do do great work,all of those that do business through here.

kcinnick
03-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Just signed for my USPS special delivery package from overseas yesterday. It took 12 days from initial inquiry to Miha until receipt from Slovenija to Seattle.

Not only is this a fantastic looking mould, but I even got treated to some local news from Mihaville. Apparently, they've got some total babes over there!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ta60Q7Pj4to/T3NnRlYXdzI/AAAAAAAAASk/ALDHDfRb7GQ/s800/SDC10059.JPG

Thanks again Miha for the fast turnaround, quick shipment, and splendid machine work! Looking forward to receiving the next one from the 429244 group buy that's in the queue.

- SD
Seattle, WA

Ok, that makes me REALLY want my H&G 68 clone!

CGT80
03-29-2012, 05:24 PM
I just came on this forum to make a thread to say that "I can't wait to get my MP mold." I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Well I found this thread.

I am waiting on a 270 SAA mold for my 460 S&W. I will have to empty some of the brass on Sunday so that I will be able to load up some of my new boolits after I get the new mold. I think I may have caught the casting bug.

white eagle
03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
mine have come fast and some not so fast
whatever the time line its well worth the wait time
some of the very best molds on the planet

rintinglen
03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
I have three of his molds and am waiting for group buys on three others. The first took 9 days from payment to my door step, the second took 15 days and the third took only 6. However long they are worth the wait.

huntrick64
03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
How long of a wait?

I am still waiting on my Lee moulds (over 2 years) to cast great bullets!

Once I received my MP mold (about a week to 10 days) the wait was over and have been casting the best bullets ever since.

Grandpas50AE
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Last month I ordered two of his moulds that were left over from a GB. The first one came in 9 days, the second one a day later. It will be worth the wait, these are superb moulds.

40Super
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I did now get the message from the PO, it was sitting there waiting for a signature. It looks WAYYYYYY diferent than the Lee I have been using(though they did cast good bullet,but can tell the aluminum is way too soft).

How do you use these type of molds without putting a single scuff on them???:???:

GLL
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
40Super:

Whose molds are you referring to? It would be difficult to find an aluminum mold much softer than a LEE !

Jerry

Reload3006
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I received my order from Miha in less than a week but I think it depends on when shipments leave and customs excreta and I am right outside St. Louis so i am sure there was a postal cargo flight direct.

mktacop
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys! I'm patiently (ok, I'm lying on that...impatiently :razz:) waiting on a 200gr Cramer HP mold for my .45 to arrive. Can't wait to get it and cast with it. It will be my first Mihec mold.

40Super
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
The one that is way to soft is the Lee molds.

The Mihec and NOE molds are really nice, I casted about 75 out of each last night and the bullets fell out really good and non of that galling/smearing of the aluminum like I got with all my Lee's. I'm going to take them to work and drill out the sprue plate bolt hole on the mill and put in a steel threaded bushing so as the sprue is twisted,the bushing is what rubs not the soft aluminum.

Mktacop:
When you have your first quality molds ordered,its hard to "wait"[smilie=6:
I'm now waiting for a 45-200swc and 40 -175swc from Ballisti-Cast. Then I'll have my set complete and can compare them all. Problem is then I'll see another one that I want, then another, and anot..........

mktacop
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm trying to decide what my next mold will be.....choices right now are a H&G 68 clone from either Mihec or Accurate molds, OR a 230gr RN from either NOE or Accurate molds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
The one that is way to soft is the Lee molds.

The Mihec and NOE molds are really nice, I casted about 75 out of each last night and the bullets fell out really good and non of that galling/smearing of the aluminum like I got with all my Lee's.

Many times with the Lee 2 cavity molds, a sharp edge/burr on the Steel
sprue plate will scratch the mold. NOW, I always debur the sprue
plate before casting with a new Lee 2 cav. mold.
Jon

M-Tecs
03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I have ordered a bunch from Mihec. I had one in 6 days. One took 36 days. Most about 10 days.

geargnasher
03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
If you order an H&G #68 Clone from either place you will not be disappointed. If you're in a hurry, order from Accurate, he makes them on a custom basis, to your order, sized to your alloy, out of the metal you want, and number of cavities you want (up to a point with brass), and has been running a very short turnaround lately. The Mihec mould is fantastic, too. If I had one of each in front of me to buy I'd have to flip a coin.

As far as shipping goes, don't worry, he does his part. The rest is up to any number of variables the mould might encounter on it's way across the pond.

Gear

40Super
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
I have molds from both of them (NOE and Mihec)They both are top notch. The one thing I like about Mihec's is the steel linup bushing for the line-up pin. NOE has the pin going into an aluminum hole,though the alloy used is most likely a good strength one, it is still aluminum vs steel.Thats about the only area where one appears better than the other.I don't know about Accurate(I may have to give them a try when funds get available).

As far as the Lee,I did go through and polish everything up.I made sure to get rid of all burrs and took the sprue plates to my wetstone, as I do with all my molds.I have 3M unitized wheels that I use to smoothen all corners with.

Frozone
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I have molds from both of them (NOE and Mihec)They both are top notch. The one thing I like about Mihec's is the steel linup bushing for the line-up pin. NOE has the pin going into an aluminum hole,though the alloy used is most likely a good strength one, it is still aluminum vs steel.Thats about the only area where one appears better than the other.I don't know about Accurate(I may have to give them a try when funds get available).

As far as the Lee,I did go through and polish everything up.I made sure to get rid of all burrs and took the sprue plates to my wetstone, as I do with all my molds.I have 3M unitized wheels that I use to smoothen all corners with.

What are you talking about?

MP, NOE and LEE(6holers) all use the exact same method of location pins.

A steel male pin in the mold body (brass MP, Al both NOE and LEE) fits into a steel bushing on the other side that is set into the mold material.

NOE's female bushing has a thinner wall thickness than the others is all.

40Super
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes you are correct on that with the bushing on the NOE. for the front with the chamfer it blends right in. When I now looked from the back I see the thin steel insert.Mihecs bushing is black ,NOE's is just about the same as the mold.I missed that,good catch.
I don't have a Lee six C,only 2

41 mag fan
03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Took me 5 weeks to get my 503 440gr GC mold in from Miha last fall. Was chomping at the bit, thinking it took the wrong boat and was on the slow boat to China ride.

When I got it...it was well worth the wait.

MikeS
03-31-2012, 12:45 AM
40Super: Rather than trying to machine the Lee 2 cavity moulds, why not just buy a 6 cavity mould of the boolit design that you like? Also, one way to use Lee (or any) moulds without galling them is to lubricate them with BullPlate, or a lube similar. Checkout the sticky in the lube forum where I posted a scan of instructions for using mould lube properly. It shows using a Lee 2 cavity mould.

CGT80
03-31-2012, 01:35 AM
My MP mold showed up today. It is purrrdy! I might have to fire up the lead pot tomorrow. I think it has been about forever........I mean about 10 days or so since I ordered mine. That is darn good considering how far it came.

40Super
03-31-2012, 06:13 AM
I already have the lube,used it,maybe not enough to begin with.I'm a machinist so it would cost me nothing to put an insert in them.Not interested in a six c for now.Plus I now have custom molds for the bigger dia.that I needed.

mktacop
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
7 days from order to arrival, I am one happy caster!!

MikeS
04-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I already have the lube,used it,maybe not enough to begin with.I'm a machinist so it would cost me nothing to put an insert in them.Not interested in a six c for now.Plus I now have custom molds for the bigger dia.that I needed.

Be careful using the mould lube. You really want to use very little of it, more is NOT better in this application. As for putting an insert into a Lee 2 cavity mould, you have me confused, where are you going to put an insert? One thing you might want to look at is Leementing the mould. Part of that process is to drill & tap a screw to hold the sprue plate attachment screw at whatever tension you set it at. That is one of the biggest problem with Lee moulds, they reply on the screw alone, and many Lee moulds have that screw in the mould way too tight. If you add that tapped hole, and add a wave washer to the screw that holds the sprue plate on, you should be able to adjust it to the correct tension, and then lock it there with the newly added screw. If you then lube the mould with either BullPlate, or other similar mould lube (such as the lube sold on eBay), and follow the instructions I posted in the lube forum (it's a sticky), you should have no further problems with the sprue plate galling the mould. Also as part of the Leementing process is deburring the sprue plate. Lee's 2 cavity sprue plates are stampings, and sometimes they either forget to deburr them, or don't deburr them enough, and that too causes galling of the blocks.

Whistler
04-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Miha is speed personified.
I ordered one of his spare molds this tuesday, it was around 4 PM. Today (thursday) at 11 PM the mold reached my door. This is within the EU, but it is still pretty impressive with shipping that fast over 750 miles!

MiHec
04-05-2012, 06:30 AM
I all ways ship the molds same or next day of payment.
Once packet is in the mail I don't have any impact on it.

Just for info:
normal shipping time (as I see it) is around 14 days.
There were some interruptions (printer bombs, vulcanos, katrina.....).
In such cases delivery is slower......:(:(:(

Whistler
04-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Choosing the right shipping company and package option is also a skill...

kcinnick
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Well I got a piece of paper in the mail today that says I got a package from Slovenija that I need to sign for, I am going to check at the post office just before closing.

StuBach
12-26-2015, 11:31 PM
As others have said Miha ships quick. I know this is an old post but for anyone looking for recent info, I ordered my first MP Mold, 358-93 for 380, on the 15th and with Christmas in there it took 11 days to get to my house in Michigan. I'm a very happy camper and have already pumped out some nice rounds to load. Now just curious which to order next between the Keith style .454 or the 200 gr 45 that everyone seems to like.

Thank god for an understanding and supportive wife who likes to shoot.

MtGun44
12-27-2015, 12:26 AM
The MP copy of the H&G 68 is a wonderful mold and the boolit is THE answer for
1911s. I do like my 200 gr RN HP, too, and it is quite accurate, but it does not
make holes in targets like the H&G 68.

Target Assault
12-27-2015, 02:06 AM
I have ordered a bunch from Mihec. I had one in 6 days. One took 36 days. Most about 10 days.
I have to agree with M-Tecs, all three of my Mihec molds arrived in about (10) days to Pa. from Slovenia, wherever in Europe that is. All great molds though. Real craftsmanship.

Moonie
12-27-2015, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with M-Tecs, all three of my Mihec molds arrived in about (10) days to Pa. from Slovenia, wherever in Europe that is. All great molds though. Real craftsmanship.

Slovenia is just to the east of Italy. Beautiful country from the research I've done.

DerekP Houston
12-27-2015, 12:05 PM
7-10 business days is actually rather quick considering our customs and mail service lately. IIRC I ordered an instock mold via a overstock post and it arrived approx 2 weeks later.

StuBach
12-27-2015, 10:09 PM
The MP copy of the H&G 68 is a wonderful mold and the boolit is THE answer for
1911s. I do like my 200 gr RN HP, too, and it is quite accurate, but it does not
make holes in targets like the H&G 68.

MTGun - Thanks for the info, I was actually lucky enough to inherit an original H&G 130 6-Cav which has cast thousands of rounds for my family (still working through the ones by Grandpa cast in the 50s which filed up two 50 cal ammo cans when we found them 8 months ago). After reading your post I am probably going to hold off for a while since it seems like there isn't a whole lot of info out there on how the 454-423 (Kieth style?) Mihec mold compares to his 68 clone and why deviate from a bullet I know all my 45s like (several S&W M1917, 2 1911s, Glock 21).

That being said I may keep my eye out for a group buy on a Mihec 40 mold to eventually replace my Lee 401-175 instead.

Thanks. BTW, anyone else find that this site may make you single or broke (or both) if your not careful?

DerekP Houston
12-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks. BTW, anyone else find that this site may make you single or broke (or both) if your not careful?

Could've sworn I started this to save money on shooting ;).

StuBach
12-27-2015, 10:31 PM
That's what my wife keeps saying about my casting...and my reloading in general. But I keep telling her my Dillon costs a lot to feed.

Moonie
12-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Could've sworn I started this to save money on shooting ;).

That's just what we tell our wives... I live in fear of my wife selling all my equipment for what I told her I paid for it after I die... lol