PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks

JohnFM
03-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Any satisfactory way to seat them other than with a lubrisizer type tool?
Would one of the inexpensive Lee sizers do the job?

44man
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Any satisfactory way to seat them other than with a lubrisizer type tool?
Would one of the inexpensive Lee sizers do the job?
Yes but I run boolits through upside down. That is the same as when you put them in a lube sizer.

JohnFM
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
That's what I was wondering. Push then through upside down.

Larry Gibson
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
That's what I was wondering. Push then through upside down.

+1.

Larry Gibson

JohnFM
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Gonna have to try it, buddy of mine has a bunch of boxes of checks in a size I could use who wants to trade.

trixter
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Does it really matter which way they go thru? Is it just to get the round side first? Will the other side damage the inside of the die?.

JohnFM
03-29-2012, 11:43 AM
GC's are designed to be seated by entering the die first.
One thing I'm wondering about is damaging the points by pushing through the Lee die backwards if there's much sizing done Maybe if they're pushed through normal for the Lee to size and then pushed through to seat the GC.
Just have to play with them first.
Probably could make a sort of "top punch" if the tips are getting flattened.

Larry Gibson
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
With nose first if the bullet isn't sized enough to offer enough resistence to push the shank to the bottm of the GC cup then the GC will crimp on not seated and/or crooked.....not good for accuracy.

By pushing the GC through t sizer 1st it offeres enough resistence so the shank is pushed to the bottom of the GC cup.

With loose fitting ir slip on GCs eother way works as well. With Crimp on GCs it is best to size base 1st, especially if there is any tightness of shank to GC fit.

Larry Gibson

Moonie
03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
So how does one seat them properly with a nose first sizer such as a Star or Mark VI?

grouch
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I do mine nose first in the lee sizer, most work just fine. If you have a mold with a tight gas check step, you can expand the gas check by setting it on a metal surface, setting an appropriately sized round head screw inside it and giving it a tap with a hammer.
Most molds are either loose or the gas check can be pushed on by hand.
grouch

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
the majority of my boolits i can size/check/lube nose first in the star.
some do much better going through back wards.
but this will often times make a domed base.
sometimes i push them through dry to get the checks pressed on properly then run them through to lube, or i dip lube then run through to clean them up..

Whiterabbit
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
base first for me, results in a bowed gas check base.
nose first, results in a cone shaped base.

Now I use "Ben's" GC seat tool (homemade)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/200824f49e03328a24.jpg

And nose first in a lee sizer they come out flat. Perfect.

JohnFM
03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Fine looking little tool.
Did you make it?
Is there a milled out portion in the top part for the bullet tip?

Whiterabbit
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I used to use the top punch form my lubriziser, but now I use a turned piece of .5" aluminum. Put a chamfer on the edge just to break it, it's about 2" long. That works much better. Easier to hold.

Maybe one day I will learn how to work steel.

blikseme300
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
So how does one seat them properly with a nose first sizer such as a Star or Mark VI?

I have a number of punches for my Star's that are designed for base first sizing. Slower handling than nose first but I do a very small number of rifle boolits compared to pistol. The luber and boolit don't care which end goes first.

Bliksem

**oneshot**
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm using a threaded bolt that fits in my reloading press. On the ram I have a top punch held by a 357case. (I taped the peg end of the top punch to fit snug in the case) I just set the gas check in place and run the ram up.
Much easier on the fingers.

44man
03-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Depends on how much actual sizing you need on the boolit. The Lee takes little pressure with the short size portion and can pull checks back nose first. They are not as tight then.
Pointed boolits need a different punch, pretty easy to make and even brass works.
Most sizing with the Lee uses so little pressure against the check, it is not held in place.

newton
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I am no expert, but I have used the lee sizer with them nose first. If you take your time and do not force them they go on straight and crimp just fine. I have shot them and they shoot great. I have hit steel plates and when I go to look at the outcome I see flat little copper discs laying on the ground.

Main thing is to leave the die kind of 'loose' in the press. The nose portion going through the sizer keeps things 'straight' it seems.

Rex
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I use a Lee sizer to seat checks on 358156 bullets with good results.