PDA

View Full Version : paper patching in a lever gun

bigted
03-29-2012, 02:17 AM
has anybody else tried pp'ing a marlin 95 45-70? i have done some paliminary patching using a lyman 457643 boolit then running it lubed with case lube [to lube it for the sizing]... thru a lee sizer to .452 then after cleaning the boolits... papering it back to .458 dia and ending the patch at the crimp groove. load consisted of 6 grains imr 3031 under 54 grains of goex 2f black powder...[ yes my favorite duplex 45-70 load]... this load shucked the patch in good manner in shreds and absolutly no leading nor lube of any kind. they all ran thru the marlin in fine shape and fired so clean that i didnt find the need to wipe or blow between shots for 10 in a string. accuracy tests will follow but im wondering if anyone else is patching for a lever action?

ive got a couple ideas for a slick boolit in the .452 diameter with a crimp groove followed up front with a .450 inch band ahead of the crimp groove and a truncated nose with a nice fat flat point designed for the hunting fields.

this intrigues me in that a person could run these patched boolits at jacketed velocitys and reap the wonders of a fairly soft lead... mushrooming boolit... that needs no lube... and leaves the bore spotless with no trace of leading at the velocitys considered....or a bit slower with the blackpowder loads and velocitys.

what say you???...:holysheep