PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to Houston

hithard
03-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Can I get some input on the shooting, hunting and fishing around the houston area and Texas in general.

I've never been there and hoping that there's something to be gained here in a move.

Thanks,

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 01:29 AM
almost all the hunting of any quality in texas is on private land.
seeing as how most of the state is privatly owned.
there is some public land available....
fishing is pretty good for bass and such, but i'd bet a boat is gonna make a difference in it's quality also.

starmac
03-29-2012, 03:22 AM
There is good dove,quail,duck, geese and turkey for birds, White tail deer, mule deer,and hogs for big game, but unless it has changed, hogs are not considered a game animal, no limits or closed season. There is also plenty of exotic big game on game ranches if that is your thing.
Squirrel, rabbit, coon, for small game. Coyotes and some bobcat for predators, actually a few lions in west texas, but I don't know if there is a huntable population, or even if you can.
For fishing you have good fishing for most warm water fresh water species, from brem to stripers and all kinds of cats. There is also good saltwater fishing and flounder gigging.
Even good frogging and they should have opened a gator season, but I don't know if they ever did.
Pretty much all of this except the mule deer can be found with a three hour drive or less from houston, but like said above, you just about have to have a lease for the hunting.

From what I understand some of the lakes are very low right now too, and rice farmers in some areas are not going to get water this year, which might hamper the geese hunting.

starmac
03-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Oh yea, I hope you are possibly moving to the houston area, it would suck to live in houston proper.

Texas Tinker
03-29-2012, 03:52 AM
I was born 100 miles from Houston and have live in Houston or close by for my entire life. There are hunting and fishing opportunities of every type in Texas. Give me some more details about what your particular fun is and I'll try to point you in the best directions.

T/T

P.S. StarMac is right. Moving into Houston proper would be a shocking change for anyone moving in from somewhere other than another major metropolitan area. The outter suburbs and surrounding smaller towns are planty big enough for most folks.

41mag
03-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Like Tinker mentions, there are tons of opportunities, some better than others.

The Parks and Wildlife has private lands leased for certain types of hunting as well as several National Forrest around all for less than what a lease will run you. Hogs are also a year round deal.

If you like to fish, your within an hours drive of either fresh water or salt water species which are plentiful year round. Getting to some of them is a bit of a challenge at times but a hoot once you do. I have owned a boat and fished most of the lakes within three to four hours of H-town and had a ball doin so, but hitting the surf has always been my passion. You sling a lure or a chunk of meat out there, there is no telling whats going to gobble it up.

Give me a holler when you get settled in, and I will throw you some beter info on what you looking for.

nvbirdman
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
The NRA meetings will be in Houston in 2013.

Ickisrulz
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Texas is like 99% private land. Good luck.

troy_mclure
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
dont forget that a large number of new orleans escapees from katrina are still in houston.

gbrown
03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
1. Remember Texas is a big State--800+ miles from Orange to El Paso--I've driven it several times non-stop--ouch to the extreme.
2. Within 3 hours of Houston of is some of the finest fishing (saltwater or fresh water) and hunting you will find. Not the big Eastern whitetail or Western mule deer, but nice deer. Feral hogs are a nuisance, shoot and let 'em lay or skin and eat.
3. Licenses are not expensive, compared to other States.
4. Concealed Handgun Licenses--very user friendly.
5. Gun clubs, ranges--all over the place.
6. Go here: www.tpwd.state.tx.us/ Be sure to check out the Public Land Hunting area--Type II hunting areas.
7. Hunting in S.E. Texas is tough--have you ever seen a baygall or thicket? Dense, Dense, woods and brush. Shots under 100 yds.
8. We Texans tend to think we live in the greatest State in the greatest Nation, period, no apologies.

hithard
03-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Just waiting to hear more from the company on specifics.

Does anyone know what a descent lease will cost, size of lease, ect...

I'm still hoping that based on all the travelling for the job I will be able to stay put, or just have to be some what close to Houston.

starmac
03-30-2012, 12:46 AM
If you are not used to humidity, you are going to love it, although the drought last year,may have actually tamed it just a little.

lbaize3
03-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Stay in touch. Let us know when you get settled. Several of us live about 75 or so miles from Houston and would be glad to have you visit. There is a gun range several miles from the house that offers skeet, trap, cowboy action, rapid fire, pistol and rifle ranges. Nothing like ringing a metal plate at 500 yards.

bowfin
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
In addition to outdoors sports, Houston is less than a day's drive to two great college football teams: One in Norman, Oklahoma and one in Stillwater.

Blacksmith
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
It appears the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has approved the use of supressors (silencers) when hunting in Texas.

Notice from Texas State Rifle Association

Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Voted Today
Dear Supporter,

Thank You to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission and TSRA and NRA Members!

Today, after hearing your support for this TSRA-NRA-backed common sense hunting reform, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to legalize suppressor use while hunting. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.

Prior to the adoption of this rule, lawfully-possessed suppressors were permitted for all other shooting activities besides hunting game animals, including the taking of nuisance species. The adoption of this common sense proposal by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department helps in other states where the NRA is involved with similar pro-hunting measures. Legislatures in Oklahoma and Georgia are currently considering similar measures and Arizona has recently passed one which would enhance hunting opportunities because of the many benefits that suppressors provide.

The NRA and TSRA strongly supported this regulation change to allow for the use of lawfully-owned suppressors for hunting in Texas. There is an incredible amount of misinformation on what suppressors do and how they may be acquired. Suppressors are not "silencers," as depicted in typical Hollywood action films. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle.

Noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas, and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future.

Special thanks to TSRA and NRA members who traveled long distances to testify in support of the change. They brought valuable information to the Commission. Also thanks to over 3,000 Texans who participated in support of the change by email. There was little opposition.

Renew, rejoin, or upgrade your TSRA membership. We're only as powerful as our membership allows us to be. Go to www.tsra.com or call 512-615-4200 during office hours. Don't forget to donate to the PAC. Relect pro-gun candidates first!

Char-Gar
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
That is good new, but I suspect it will also require a change in Texas statute law and through throws it into the lap of the State Legislature. The backing of the Parks and Wildlife folks should be a big help in getting it through the Legislature.

geargnasher
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Don't forget about duck hunting on the coastal areas, lots of opportunities for that, too.

Gear

gbrown
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Look at this site. It's Southeasttexas.com, a local site for classifieds and advertising. Go to Classifieds (top center) and then scroll down to Hunting. There are ads for leases all over Texas. Can give you a range of price of leases. Also, look at Firearms, its a good indicator of what's available and prices down here

http://www.southeasttexas.com