PDA

View Full Version : Ruger is teasing us...again

wallenba
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Seems like clockwork lately. Ruger advertises a new tantalizing product that my local dealers can't get. Today on their website another new offering. A takedown 10/22. I don't know if I like it or not.
http://ruger.com/products/ruger1022Takedown/models.html

Looks to have an extended magazine release too. About time.

9.3X62AL
03-28-2012, 10:41 PM
It might serve a need or two that I don't currently have.

New product intros are nice, but the latest Internet story making the rounds has been that Ruger is taking no further wholesaler orders until the existing one million unit firearms back-order situation gets closer to resolution--June 2012 is the timeframe getting bandied about.

SMCCORD
03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Just noticed that Larrys pistol and pawn here in Huntsville AL supposedly has a shipment of them for sale. They posted it earlier today on their facebook page but not on their website. I'm gonna go down and check one out if i can get in the door friday.

JeffinNZ
03-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Just when you thought a factory standard, unaltered 10/22 couldn't get any less accurate........

Longwood
03-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Just when you thought a factory standard, unaltered 10/22 couldn't get any less accurate........

Varmints love 10-22's
I see it as a worthless gimick to sell a inaccurate 22 for way too much.
Not at my house.

wallenba
03-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Varmints love 10-22's
I see it as a worthless gimick to sell a inaccurate 22 for way too much.
Not at my house.

I agree, it's not of much use to most of us, backpackers mebbe. On the other note, my present 10/22 is VERY accurate. might be the luck of the draw. Mine is a pre-warning model though.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 07:52 PM
A take down on a rimfire with a pinned/secured, non screwed in barrel shouldn't be all that hard to organise.

nanuk
03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

I put a 9x scope on mine to try it out, and could hit 1/2" pieces of wild mushroom at 70 paces...

the trouble was the FTF using the bulk ammo (can't remember the name, but it is C.R.A.P!!)

starmac
03-31-2012, 09:34 PM
There sure has been a lot of guys waste a lot of money to get them to shoot.

If I understand it right ruger specs call for 4 moa (or less) on their rifles, I wonder if that is the same for the 22.

Four Fingers of Death
04-01-2012, 01:29 AM
There sure has been a lot of guys waste a lot of money to get them to shoot.

If I understand it right ruger specs call for 4 moa (or less) on their rifles, I wonder if that is the same for the 22.

I've never had a Ruger rimfire, but I have had a lot of centrefires over the years. Never had an inaccurate one yet. I held off getting a 22Hornet because they are supposed to be a bit iffy (it is a shame because they are a fine looking rifle. The 77s and No1s however have all proved winners for me.

Hang Fire
04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Seems like clockwork lately. Ruger advertises a new tantalizing product that my local dealers can't get. Today on their website another new offering. A takedown 10/22. I don't know if I like it or not.
http://ruger.com/products/ruger1022Takedown/models.html

Looks to have an extended magazine release too. About time.

Ruger has stopped taking orders for any and and all firearms until their present backlog of one million guns is cleared.

MBTcustom
04-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Like all Rugers, take the barrel and give it a heave, put on a good quality barrel and you are most of the way there. I have fired many a round through a 10/22 and done all the smithing to them. The last one I owned would hold a beautiful 3.5" pattern at 50 yards, I didn't even bother sending it back, because thats what I expected to get. I put on a good barrel, and instantly started getting .75" groups @ 50.
I can take a 10/22, grind this and stone that and get it under an inch @ 50 in about 45 minutes of work, anything better than that is going to take a lot of time that a smith wont get paid for and a customer wont waste money on.
I saw a guy at the range last summer that had a seriously tricked out 10/22. Hogue stock, Volquartsen trigger group, Lilja barrel....all the goodies. Shooting from sandbags, he got these amazing .75" groups at 50 yards. He must have had $1000 in that sucker. Meanwhile I was next door eating a ragged hole with my stock CZ 452 at the same distance.
In my mind the 10/22 is a close range snake gun. Good for rapid fire 10 yards away. Can it be made to shoot tiny little groups? Sure! but for the amount of money your going to spend, you could get 3 rifles that will walk circles around it.
At least the 10/22 is cheap enough that folks are willing to admit its shortcomings. If Ruger was selling them for $1000 a piece, everybody who owned one would be defending the awesomeness of their rifle like the virtue of a 16 year old daughter! Apparently, if the gun looks realy cool and you paid enough for it, accuracy ceases to be an issue.
$385 for a .22? ...............pass.:rolleyes:

357maximum
04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Ruger---- makers of fine rifle actions that can be fit to a new barrel to make nice rifles.:popcorn:

A takedown 10/22:confused:....I already have an old Armalite AR7 that sits in a corner covered in dust.:veryconfu

Color me disinterested:neutral:

snowwolfe
04-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Previously owned a Marlin Papoose and a Charter Arms TD. The fault with both of them is the barrel was naked with no forearm stock piece.
Ruger solved this problem and added the stock. Pretty much every review has been favorable and these rifles are shooting a wide range of ammo accurately and without jamming. Plus there is a ton of aftermarket parts for them.

There are a lot of people, myself included, that immediately went out and bought one of these. The perfect rifle for many of us to carry on back pack hunting trips, in the ATV box, on the boat, etc.

Ruger hit a home run with this one and most dealers sold out of their first shipments the first day according to the forums I visit. Have to admire Ruger for wanting to bring out new products and think outside the box.

JeffinNZ
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
See! It's not just me! LOL.

MBTcustom
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
these rifles are shooting a wide range of ammo accurately and without jamming.
Please define "Accurately".
"Accurate" for a .22 is less than .5" @ 50 yards with 10 shots. If it can do that, I'll concede that its an interesting gun (only accurate guns are you know) but its still priced higher than a cats back.

snowwolfe
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Sorry, wished I had some concrete accuracy numbers for you but I don't. But people who shot them seem pretty happy. I'll shoot mine in a week or two. Here is a quote from Gunblast:

"I was concerned that removing the barrel, and then reattaching, would change the point of impact. To check that, I set the target at fifty yards, and proceeded to fire five, five-shot groups. Twenty-five rounds total, removing and reinstalling the barrel after each five-shot group. The results can be seen in the picture. The resulting twenty-five shot group measured only five-eighths of an inch. That group would be superb for a five shot group from a fixed-barrel semi-automatic 22 rifle, but is amazing for a take-down that was dismantled every five shots"

This rifle isnt designed to replace a Cooper, Anshultz, or a tuned CZ.

I learned a long time ago how difficult it is to shoot a .22 at 50 yards on a consistent basis. When I want to punch paper I have the Coopers, Anshults, or the CZ's to take to the range and play with. A take down Ruger is certaintly not in the same league as any of these.

This Ruger fills a nice niche. The Ruger rep was at our local Sportsman Show this weekend and he told me they sold out the entire production to their distributors within 2 days of it being announced. That is one popular rifle!

It isnt for everyone. Ruger makes a lot of things I think are stupid. But heck, if you want to pass at $385 for a .22 then you must certaintly think I am nuts as one of my decked out Coopers cost me $3,400.
Different strokes for different folks:)

Just glad Ruger keeps on coming out with new ideas.

dpaultx
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
What the heck is so new about this? Butler Creek did nearly the same thing ten years ago with their "Packer Takedown Stock (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121147/butler-creek-packer-takedown-stock-ruger-10-22-standard-barrel-channel-black)" for the 10/22.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/121/121147.jpg

I've got one of these somewhere that I never did put on a gun because it would only work with the standard profile 10/22 barrel. I should probably pull it back out and see if I can mod it to take a .920 bull barrel and give it a try.

A correctly put together 10/22 with a match grade barrel, ultra light trigger job, and a barrel mounted cantilevered scope base will deliver sub 1/4" groups at 50 yards all day long, with the right ammo.

The key to accuracy in any 22LR weapon is finding the ammo that it likes the best. It's a long process of trial and elimination, but when you find that one load that it shoots the best, go back and buy ten cases of the same lot number.

All good . . . Doug

uscra112
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Just to add fuel to the fire - I've always loathed my 10/22, but recently I started weight-sorting and "bumping" ammo. Lo and behold, the little beast can, even with the stock barrel and that cavernous chamber, make 2 MOA. And that's using really poor ammo (Remington Thunderbolt) as raw material. Tomorrow I try again using Blazer and MiniMags.

Despite what I said on another thread about this 10/22, there have been many single-shot takedown .22s that were very accurate. Stevens made several excellent models, from the Model 44 and the Favorite to my own "favorite", the Model 12. Even my cheap Hopkins and Allen 922 shoots quite well. If Ruger did their homework, I suspose this 10/22 need not be any worse than the ordinary kind. Why anyone NEEDS a takedown 10/22 is another matter. If I wanted a takedown for the wilderness, I would want a single-shot, not an ammo-gulper.

Four Fingers of Death
04-02-2012, 04:34 AM
I have a SAKO Quad, 4 Bbls and I pull the barrels and put them in the case every time I'm finished shooting. Never moves POI, if they can do it, anybody else should be able to.

starmac
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I must think differently, If I am on a pack hunting trip,or any hunting trip including on an atv, sled, or boat, I want my gun ready to fire. I could see the utility of it if my pickup was short of room on the way to use it, or maybe carrying it on your plane for a survival gun.

Some 30 years ago, I had to have one of the ar7's, not because it was a take down or ugly, or in the case of mine pretty much worthless, but because it floated. I was in a boat daily and it was to be a dedicated boat gun for the short time I owned it. It was one of the rare firearms that I have traded off, and I traded it in on a lawnmower. lol

AK Caster
04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Take down rifles of various calibers are very popular. They range from custom bolt rifles to the various made double rifle and shot guns. One of the reasons for their appeal is they travel well and due to their shorter size they are less of a target for potential thieves.

Certaintly not for everyone but enough want them they sell well as proved by this little jem.

jhrosier
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Any .22 that can keep them in 1/2" @ 50 yards is a useful plinker.
I saw a few of the takedown 10/22s at the local gunshow last weekend.
They were selling for list price, if you really wanted one.
I was interested but not quite that much.
I think that it might be a lot of fun with a Burris Fastfire III mounted on the barrel.

Jack

Wayne Smith
04-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Humm, by these standards my Daisy is an adequately accurate rifle. Maybe I need to give it more respect. Adjustable stock, take down barrel, and as accurate as the 1022.

Hardcast416taylor
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
"Totally inaccurate"? Some of you "Birds" should try shooting my 10/22`s I`ve had since the mid - `60`s. The first rifle is an original "International" full stock model, the second is a standard model 10/22. They are unaltered and are just plain phenomenally accurate with good old fashioned Winchester Hi-Velocity H.P. ammo out to 100yds. Perhaps you fellas don`t hold your mouth just right when you yank on the trigger, or maybe the quality has gone South in the last 50 odd years on the rifles.:confused::confused:Robert

starmac
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I have owned mine since the late 70's it serves it's purpose and always goes bang, which is more than I can say for the AR7 I picked up in the 80's, it was hard to ever get a full clip to go bang. I never tried to shoot a group at 100 yards with any of my 22's so couldn't tell you what they would do.

rockrat
04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
My LGS has one of these in stock. Not too bad looking

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
My cousins bought one many years ago to use on their farm (4,000 acres, sheep/wheat/cattle). They have culled tons of roos with it, squillions of foxes and oodles of rabbits. They had to put down 500 sheep some years back in the middle of a big drought. My cousins son shot the sheep that were herded into a big pit that they had bulldozed out. My two cousins loaded the two spare mags and handled them over as soon as they were loaded. The Ruger didn't miss a beat, shot off the whole brick of 500 and a spare packet for the few that needed a second shot. The rifle was red hot, but worked fine. Richard, my cousin said that their thumbs were red raw by the end of that effort. His son was shooting as fast as they could load the mags. Crappy day's work, but made a bit easier by a reliable tool.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I picked up my first 10/22 about 6 months ago, bought it new for about $200. I also bought one 50rd box of 22lr of each different brand the gun shop and the local Wal-Mart had on hand. After a cleaning and inspection I was off to the range with some aftermarket Tech-Sights to sight in. I proceed to shoot at 25yards from a rest with 10rds of each type of ammo (about 8-10 different brands in all). My particular 10/22 shot the Winchester Super X 40gr RN best with a solid 10 shot 1” group. I then proceeded to shoot off all the other brands of ammo (to get rid of the inaccurate stuff) about 400-500rds in all. HPs and RNs not a single jam and no groups over 2.5”. Sure the trigger is so-so, the stock is ugly synthetic, but for $200+50 sights I have a very reliable and what I would consider a very accurate semi auto 22. Maybe I am easy to please, but I am more than happy with my little 10/22 all things considered.

Silvercreek Farmer
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I bought a Marlin 60 in college because I couldn't afford the Ruger. I put a cheap scope on it and it'll shoot 1.5 inches at 100 yards with Federal Bulk, if the wind isn't blowing and I do my part.

Haggway
04-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I got to play with one of these at one of the local gun shops today. Its a neat little set up.
For a back packer/survival gun, this would be a good set tup to keep meat in the pot. Its not set up for match shooting, but to keep one from starving it will do the job.

Whit Spurzon
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I've owned a number of 10/22's over the years but never held onto them. Fun little plinkers but my Marlin autoloaders were more accurate.

Along comes this one and sure enough my local fun store had one for less than $300 (before tax) and I slapped down the plastic.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/003.jpg

The takedown system is the best I've come across - easy and fast.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/004-1.jpg

My old guy eyes struggled with the irons and I didn't want to scope a rifle that is going to be used as a stow-away, so I added the Williams sight.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/10-22014.jpg

Here is a 50 shot iron sighted "group" that I shot at 25, unrested, sitting position, taking the rifle apart in 5-10 shot intervals.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/10-22008.jpg
Not stellar but certainly good enough to take a Grouse.

I'm going to field test it soon. It feels very lightweight yet it has enough heft to be easy to shoot - unlike my Papoose which was more diminutive and lighter but challenging to shoot comfortably.

The vast majority of critters I shoot are shot with my Ruger Single Six - mainly because it is the gun that I have with me while hiking or doing chores. I can see the 10/22 TD getting some of that action just because it can be stowed so easily that I'll likely have it with me when an opportunity pops up.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/mg2262.jpg

KCSO
04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I plumb give up on Ruger you would have thought I would have learned with the P series guns. They show and advertise and the small dealers finally get a gun 3 years later. II have had a Ruger 308 scout rifle on my want list for over a year now and still no gun. Hey right now I can't even get a Ruger MkIII pistol of any kind from the countrys largest Ruger outlet.

BruceB
04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, obviously there is a regional malfunction of some sort in the supply process.

The Gunsite Scouts are commonly available in northern Nevada. My wife bought me a left-handed version for Christmas 2011 , and every time I visit the Scheels store in Reno they have Scouts on the rack. On one recent visit, they even had THREE left-handers!

It's not Ruger's fault if a heavy demand exists for their products! There is surely no point in holding-off on shipping new stuff until they have warehouses full of the new item. Good salesmanship requires the creation of a demand. Once the demand exists, the manufacturer then strives to meet it.

If customers have to wait, it's the customers' decision to either stand by until the item is available, or vote with their feet and buy something else.

Ruger can't win, it seems. If they DO supply a new firearm, legions of critics are all too willing to dump all over it. If they CAN'T supply enough new-model guns to satisfy the instant demand, they get dumped-on because they can't deliver enough to make the hordes of would-be buyers happy.

Anyway, it's obvious that they are making guns that people want to buy. D'you suppose this just might have something to do with their success, even in today's shaky markets?

LuvMy1911
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
The Ruger 10/22 was my first real gun. Christmas gift from parents when I was 14 or 15 I think. It still shoots very well... Maybe some folks have gotten ones that needed to have the barrel mount screws tightened? It'll put the whole clip thru a quarter sized hole at 25 yards. Became curious so I shot a few rounds at 50 yards, still nice little groups. But I have noticed that certain "batches" of ammo have some serious flyers nowdays. And yeah, it likes certain ammo types Win & Federal lately. (tried some 1970s Remington and got the same results) Recently purchased Remington ammo was not so good.

Oh well, I guess I'm just glad the one I have shoots well!