PDA

View Full Version : Lube that is not sticky and doesn't smoke!

kcinnick
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Ok, so I make a lot of things by hand, it is in my nature. It would be cheaper for me to make more leather belts and holster and buy factory ammo, but I just can't do it. I however feel I can have someone else make my lube.

What is the most cost effective lube that won't get sticky in Louisiana heat and won't produce a lot of smoke? There are so many lubes and lube recipes out there ya'll have my head spinning.

I will be lubing Lee 9mm 120g TC's and MC's HG68 .45 clone on a fully loaded ballicast.

Thanks,

Nick

Ben
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Nick

I hope this will help slow down the head spinning.

White label lubes would be a great place to start looking. You can buy his just about as cheap ( or cheaper ) than you can buy the components and make your own. More info on White Label lubes in the links below :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56454&highlight=White+label+lube

Here is the order page :

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/order.html

Ben

kcinnick
03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
I think I have emailed 2 or 3 times without a response. If I send money will lube come, I'll try out the Carnauba Red. The ballicast VI take solid sticks,1X4 right?

randyrat
03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
My TAC#1 Smokes the least out of everything I have tried...BUT it may be a tad too soft for you in the heat...all I can say is give it a try. Send Me a PM and I'll get you a sample FREE. You will be a believer after you try it. Almost smoke free. Melt temp is over 150 Degs F. You will burn your fingers touching the ammo before the lube melts.

kcinnick
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Let's just say it was over 85 degrees at our MARCH match, but I will try anything once.

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 02:24 AM
avoid alox in high humidity situations. 25% is okay, 50% not so good.
carnuba will be a good additive where you are.
and randy's lube is worth a shot.
i haven't tried it, but randy has a good idea of what a decent lube is.

kcinnick
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Well I am going to try out Randy's Lube, Probably try out carnauba red also.

I just wish I could get the Ballicast sooner!

fredj338
03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
White LAbel CR is a pretty damn good all purpose bullet lube for hot or cold. It works for me.

leftiye
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Let me first say that I do like Carnauba Red. But you might want to try the BAC which is 50/50 bzwax and alox mixed equal parts with C-Red. It will cut your carnauba percentage down, and it will flow without heat in your lubrisizer. Myelf, I'd put about 1 percent Molybdenum disulphide in there too (by weight).

P.S. I mix dry alox 50/50 with lithium grease with moly, and mix that with C-Red 50/50 too.

kcinnick
03-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Heat won't be an issue when lubing. Will have a fully loaded ballicast from the group buy with a digital heater.

geargnasher
03-31-2012, 12:48 AM
The only problem you're likely to have with Carnauba Red if you have the equipment to apply it is it tends to toss the first few shots out of the group from a cold barrel on a cold day. Once the barrel warms, it returns to normal until it cools off again. You'll likely never notice it with anything but really accurate rifle loads at 100+ yards, but I have observed flyers in the 1-2" area outside the normal group in 40-degree weather. Nice thing about it is it seems to be virtually immune to hot weather shooting issues, very consistent all the way down to about 50 degrees or so.

Gear

kcinnick
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
The only problem you're likely to have with Carnauba Red if you have the equipment to apply it is it tends to toss the first few shots out of the group from a cold barrel on a cold day. Once the barrel warms, it returns to normal until it cools off again. You'll likely never notice it with anything but really accurate rifle loads at 100+ yards, but I have observed flyers in the 1-2" area outside the normal group in 40-degree weather. Nice thing about it is it seems to be virtually immune to hot weather shooting issues, very consistent all the way down to about 50 degrees or so.

Gear

I will be shooting 9mm and .45 in USPSA matches in Louisiana. I don't reload for rifle..

Only thing cold round here is the refrigerator.

BadDaditood
04-02-2012, 12:26 AM
RandyRat has good fixin's if ya wanna try making your own lube.

Yesterday i cooked up some of his wax to try a new formula and i swear every bee in southern california took a lap or 3 around my garage...

i think they got a BUZZ off that wild northwoods aroma :veryconfu

MikeS
04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Heat won't be an issue when lubing. Will have a fully loaded ballicast from the group buy with a digital heater.

Hey, can you post a link to the group buy? This is the second time I've seen it mentioned, but when I looked for it I couldn't find it. Thanks!