PDA

View Full Version : First Day Melting

brysongw
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Whelp... today was my first official day as a lead scavanger and melter. This morning I picked up my first five gallon bucket of WW's and got it for free to boot!

Four hours later the bucket was sorted, melted and poured into purdy little muffin ingots.

Then I went into the house and decided to continue my reading about this facinating new hobby. I discovered that tin was an extremely valuable commodity. Just then I thought to myself: "Self, we throw HUNDREDS of pounds of solder into the scrap pile at work every month!" So on my day off I drove up to work and talked to the boss. I was told I was welcome to take a few cans of scrap home. They were sorted into 63/37 and 96.3/3.7.

Time to fire the crab cooker burner back up! Just walked back into the house and wound up with 55lbs of 63/37, and 105lbs of 96.3/3.7 ingots. Needless to say my back and feet are killing me...... But I'm hooked!!!

Tomorrows mission (besides having to work): Find more lead!

zuke
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Even if you don't have a use for it, pick it up!
You can alway's use it for swappimg.
Welcome to da club!

brysongw
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Whelp... today was my first official day as a lead scavanger and melter. This morning I picked up my first five gallon bucket of WW's and got it for free to boot!

Four hours later the bucket was sorted, melted and poured into purdy little muffin ingots.

Then I went into the house and decided to continue my reading about this facinating new hobby. I discovered that tin was an extremely valuable commodity. Just then I thought to myself: "Self, we throw HUNDREDS of pounds of solder into the scrap pile at work every month!" So on my day off I drove up to work and talked to the boss. I was told I was welcome to take a few cans of scrap home. They were sorted into 63/37 and 96.3/3.7.

Time to fire the crab cooker burner back up! Just walked back into the house and wound up with 55lbs of 63/37, and 105lbs of 96.3/3.7 ingots. Needless to say my back and feet are killing me...... But I'm hooked!!!

Tomorrows mission (besides having to work): Find more lead!

brysongw
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
First post on a new forum and already double posted.... not off to a good start

SlowSmokeN
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
It is like being a kid in a candy store

Rooster
03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow, I'm jealous. I drove by the local radiator shop today to see about some drippings and they were boarded up! Where's that crying emoticon? Somebody get me a tissue!

jsizemore
03-28-2012, 11:52 PM
If you got that much free lead and solder you'd be double posting too.

brysongw
03-29-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm def considering myself lucky with those first finds. Beginners luck I suppose.

Gonna give the local Semi Truck Shop a call about weights today. If all else fails there are a couple local scrap yards I can try.

Curlymaple42
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I almost double posted a couple weeks ago when I scored two full buckets of WW from my local shop!! It is now four half buckets, as them suckers are HEAVY!!! How much does a 5 gallon pail of WW weigh again? I can't remember...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

brysongw
03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
The bucket I just finished up weighed 125lbs. I'm sure it was pretty comical to watch me getting that in the back of the pickup. Maybe those guys w/ low riders have something figured out... LOL

dRok
03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
You could make some good cash off selling that tin, if there is a steady supply.

brysongw
03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I suppose I could. I don't know how I would ever use that much myself. As I've read I can't advertise anything for sale for the first month.

I think though I would be more interested in trades as I am new to the hobby and just now stocking up on equipment.

fishhawk
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
there we go both threads merged

brysongw
03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Thank you Fishhawk! Sorry about that.

AndyC
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I discovered that tin was an extremely valuable commodity.
No, it's not - I'll trade you an even weight of lead for it [smilie=l:

Very nice score - keep that tin handy and trade it out or something :)

brysongw
03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL Thanks Andy! Final weigh in was 133lbs of 96% tin . I'll def be looking to get rid of some here in the near future. Hoping I can continue to get my hands on more!

AndyC
03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Final weigh in was 133lbs of 96% tin
Wow! Excellent! Have a beer, you deserve it - I'll take one as well, I got tired just reading about all that work ;-) :drinks: