PDA

View Full Version : .410 hulls- Where do you guys buy them?

jmsj
03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey Guys,
Not really a casting question but this looked like the best place to post this. Moderators, please move this if it is in the wrong place.
My father has sent my kids a .410 SXS to start shooting shotguns. I have also just bought and received a MEC 600jr in .410 from a fellow member here. I thought I had a deal worked out for some .410 components but the deal fell through.
I was looking through my usual reloading suppliers for .410 hulls and could not find any Winchester AA's or Remington STS hulls for sale. The only hulls I could find were made by either Fiocchi or Cheddite. I was wondering where you guys that load for the .410 get your hulls?
I have heard bad things about the .410 Fiocchi hulls which surprises me because I really like their 12 gauge hulls for slugs and buckshot loads. Have any of you used the Cheddite .410 2 1/2" hulls? None of my shotshell manuals have load data for th Cheddite hulls but the Hogdon sight has some. I am looking to load light target loads and hopefully use the stock of H110 that I have on hand.
Thanks, jmsj

shotman
03-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Get you some 444 cases from midway and some wads . You need h110 or little gun powder there is guy on feebay that has a wad cutter. and the cottage cheese lids make the best over shot wads . you can load by hand and cases dont need to be sized . With h110 you can load 11/16 oz if you use the down range shot cup.
the guy makes them so ask for a 45 cal cutter

mnkyracer
03-29-2012, 01:09 AM
The owner of a gun shop that I frequent does a lot trap/skeet shooting. He collects once fired hulls of all gauges to resell. Last time I was there he had 1/2 a 55 gallon drum of .410s. If you are interested, I can get a price for you.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
With the popularity of the Taurus Judge. I have actually started getting a pretty good supply of them from shooting range. You might want to give your shooting range a look around.
Regards,
Everett

waksupi
03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I believe you can also blow out .303 Brit for the .410.

jmsj
03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I haven't been to a public shotgun range in years. The nearest is the Whittington or Raton Trap club and they are about 50 miles away.
mnkyracer,
Thanks for the offer, if you get time and it's not a bother go ahead and ask how much he wants for them.
I may go ahead and try the Cheddite hulls unless I hear that they are bad hulls.
Thanks, jmsj

Mk42gunner
03-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Before you buy a bunch of .444 or .303 brass to use, I would suggest trying a few. My Grandpa's old Iver Johson Champion does not like rifle brass. It will chamber and fire fine, but needs a rod to get it out of the chamber. The chamber isn't rusted or pitted either.

I decided that no more .410's than I am going to shoot I would just buy a box of factory shells. After the heart attack at the pricing, I have only shot about half a box in the last few years.

That approach won't work with youngsters wanting to shoot though. I would go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a few hundred .410 hulls and load them.

As an added note: While we know that the rifle brass is loaded speciall for use in the .410, I'm not convinced that it is a good idea for teaching new shooters. Soething about using the properly marked ammo in a gun.

Robert

jmsj
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Robert,
I agree regarding teaching youngsters to load properly marked ammo in like chambered firearms.
I am going to load these for my kids and I am hoping that they will shoot hundreds. I remember being 9 or 10 yrs old and roaming our family farms with a H&R single shot and then when I got older a Winchester model 42 and a pocket full of .410 shells. I had many adventures stalking rabbits and various other animals and birds. I am hoping my kids will have the same kind of adventures that I did.
Thanks, jmsj

eye shot
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I use the Multi-Hull from BPI and they hold up real good considering I cut then down to .444 Marlin and shooting at near rifle pressures. At a gun show I picked up a bag of once fired old style AA's and they also work good.

Reload3006
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
most reloading shops or trap and skeet ranges will have once fired. But they will all be 2 1/2" if thats what you want then great. Another option that has served me pretty well is going to free unsupervised ranges. after a couple years you will have collected many empties of various makes. I would advise you to start looking for punches and stuff to make wads with as there is only one wad made for a 410 and I dont care whose name is on the bag its the same thing just a shot cup you will have to find either the appropriate over shot card or wads to use under the shot cup. Make sure you use H110,4227,2400,lil gun, or 410 powder maybe some others by various mfrs. ... the above is IMR Hodgdon and Alliant .... it takes a very slow shotgun powder to charge the 410. Good luck.

9.3X62AL
03-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Winchester AA 410 hulls seem to hold a 6-point crimp a lot better than their Remington counterparts. I bought mine as loaded ammunition, which wasn't cheap--but what the hey. 11/16 oz of shot from a 3' shell hits a LOT better on quail and doves than the 1/2 oz 2-1/2" shell shotloads. I use #9 shot to boost pattern density, and limit shots to 35 yards.

woody1
03-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Prob'ly if you post your hull needs in the Want to Buy section you'll get some. I did and I did. Regards, Woody

Newtire
04-01-2012, 06:54 AM
As far as holding a crimp better goes, I sprung for the little roll crimper head made by Precision reloading and run the hulls up into that after crimping them normally with the star crimper on my Mec 600. I have boxes that have sat for years and the crimp is still locked. I have one of the little tiny drill presses that I use it in. BPI sells one too and it makes a more square looking crimp.

The .444 Marlin brass works in some .410's but not in others. I have an old Stevens that the action won't close using them but in my Browning 42 replica and an old Mossberg bolt gun, they work just fine. They also load fine in my little Savage/Stevens 24. I get alot of split mouths on those .444 cases if I get too agressive trying to put a roll crimp onto them though. If anyone has any tips on that, I would like to know how.

Those Cheddite cases don't last for me and the primer pockets need closing up once you fire them with cheddite primers. (there are ways to do that) I haven't had any luck using Federal cases for some reason. They stick in my guns.

BPI has tons of unconventional .410 loads that seem to work fine but use lots less shot than I'm used to using. They also sell longer wads that cover up more shot than the AA style wads.

Have fun with that .410. I've shot many a cottontail and squirrel back in my earlier days living in Illinois and the .410 did alright. Any long range shooting, just drop the ".4" from the front of that .410 and now you are ready to go.

Newtire
04-01-2012, 06:59 AM
The owner of a gun shop that I frequent does a lot trap/skeet shooting. He collects once fired hulls of all gauges to resell. Last time I was there he had 1/2 a 55 gallon drum of .410s. If you are interested, I can get a price for you.

Hi Mnky, I would be up for some of those .410 hulls too if you can get a price on them.

mnkyracer
04-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Haven't forgotten about you guys. Got caught up with a benefit feed for a local family whose house was destroyed in a fire. Shop was closed by the time I got there. Heading back Tues or Wed as I am in desperate need of primer replenishment.

Sorry for the delay.

DIRT Farmer
04-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I buy a flat of factory Remington or Winchester, shoot them then reload. I love to shoot skeet but have a bad shoulder. I can shoot 250 rds in a day and not have a sore shoulder, not the case with 20 ga in my skeet gun.

I have found at least 100 of assorted 410s on the pistol line at the club this year.

dakotashooter2
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I just did a little searching on the web and man have they gone up since I last bought some 10-12 years ago. Small quantities are about .30 each and down to
.20 for large quantities. At .30 a hull you might as well buy a case of shells and reload after you shoot them.

Newtire
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I just did a little searching on the web and man have they gone up since I last bought some 10-12 years ago. Small quantities are about .30 each and down to
.20 for large quantities. At .30 a hull you might as well buy a case of shells and reload after you shoot them.

Either that or do a little "dumpster diving" at the range if they'll let you do that. Another trick is to bring a black powder shotgun and when the guys next to you shooting their little .410 start looking and pointing, offer to let them shoot your BP gun. They'll give you all their emptys usually unless they reload. The .410 is about the most money saving proposition there is since the factory shells cost so much.

shotman
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
dont crimp the 444s dont need it the cutter I said in early post with the cottage lids works fine . I have 3 410s the mossy 835 feeds them a single or SxS would be easy . you can load 11/16 oz but need to cut pettles on the shot cup. a 45 colt case will work for cutter but not long

W.R.Buchanan
04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Try,,,www.trapshooters.com

It is the shotgun shooters equivalent of this place. GReat people.

Expect to pay .25 / hull for Winchester AA's. There is usually someone on there selling a bunch, if not, go back in a few days.

I personally want a nice .410 O/U to shoot skeet with. Like a Kreighoff K20 with 20,28, and .410 barrels

I will try the .444 Marlin brass to see if it works in the gun and if so I will load 200 of those forever. If not I'll be getting a bunch of AA's and a set of .410 dies for my DL266.

I have 8lbs of H110 to burn up and without a .410 shotgun It will never get done.

Randy

Newtire
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
dont crimp the 444s dont need it the cutter I said in early post with the cottage lids works fine . I have 3 410s the mossy 835 feeds them a single or SxS would be easy . you can load 11/16 oz but need to cut pettles on the shot cup. a 45 colt case will work for cutter but not long

Thanks Shotman.

I was having trouble with the rounds getting hung up in my Browning 42 so tried to put a little roundness onto the end. I have no trouble with them in the single shots at all. I'll try the cottage cheese lids.

woody1
04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
If you have trouble with your action closing on the 444's try thinning the rim. You must do it from the back side though or you'll shorten the primer hole. Just chuck the case in a half inch drill and use a file on the backside of the rim.. Usually doesn't take much. I have a single barrel Rossi I have to do this with. The other two work fine. Overshot I use a 7/16 hole punch and milk jug material. Glue 'em in with fingernail polish. Regards, Woody