PDA

View Full Version : New Mossberg tactical lever

03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Seen pictures. Want one bad. Can't find one.

Anybody seen them for sale?

shrapnel
03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I saw one, it looked like a model 94 with prosthesis, butt ugly and belongs on a spaceship with a one way ticket to Pluto...

Skipper
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/banner/41026.gif

http://florians.org/jslayer/kill-it-with-fire.jpg

wiljen
03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
what no bayonet lug? and where is the vertical foregrip?

Dutch4122
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I guess you could say I'm just speechless!:roll:

btroj
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Does it come with black pants, a vest, and a single black leather glove?

jblee10
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I kind of like the idea of a 30-30 for defense. Or a pistol caliber might be nice for more capacity. And I'll bet it shoots well also. But why have something so ugly without a ghost ring rear sight. Or provisions for a forward mounted red dot. How about a half rail for a flashlight and a rail for optics. Anyway, I might just have to get one to gross out my friends.

starmac
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Why have it at all, my 30/30 wouldn't even want me to stick that thing in the back of the closet.

03-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

John Wayne would have wanted one.

btroj
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
No, in this case beauty would be in the eyed the beer holder. That thing is ugly.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

Ed in North Texas
03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
No, in this case beauty would be in the eyed the beer holder. That thing is ugly.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

Maybe it is intended for markets where Modern Sporting Arms (Assault Weapons to the MSM) are banned??

Ed

wiljen
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Great next it'll be a tacticool Harper's Ferry rifle for those where only BP guns are allowed. Nothing like a Eotech and a Surefire on your flintlock - Right Andy ? Ric?

dragonrider
03-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Yup it's ugly all right but I put it on my list, on the bottom but on it none the less.

Mumblypeg
03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
That's what happens when you keep the guns locked up in the safe together too long... looks like the offspring of an AR-15 and a Win. 94. " The Arewin 94"! Anything that sells drives the market. I guess ugly sells... but that won't last long.:coffeecom

Moondawg
03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Pure function has its own beauty and that rifle is pure function. With the railed foreend you can put a verticle grip on the bottom rair and a a red dot or EOTech signt on the top rail. No wood to warp and a flash hider/compensator to help hold down recoil. It will be easy to spray paint for proper camoflage. It's about time that someone came out with a PRACTICAL lever gun, that is modern in every way. This rifle is perfect for those that live in California, with it's crazy anti-assault gun laws. It will probably fit well in New Jersey, and New York state. It's about time someone came out with a modern practical suburban home defense and/or deep woods lever gun. Think how good this rifle would look sitting in your gunsafe beside your M-4gery and full size AR15.[smilie=w:

pmer
03-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Where is the speed loader?

junkbug
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Looks like the Mossberg design team had someone spike the office water cooler with Everclear.

If it sells rifles, hurrah for them. I'll pass.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
As aself defense firearm I would have thought that a pistol calibre would have been a better choice, but as far as I know, Mossberg don't make anything other than a 30/30.

I can't see that itoffers any advantages over a standard configuration. A plastic stock for weather proofing would be an asset I suppose.

A stock where you can attach a spare round holder to be able to top off the magazine would be nice, as would a ghost ring sight. I see the forend has rail covers, which would make it a little easier on the hands.

I'm not allowed to own a semi auto, so I own a 7600Police carbine. My left shoulder is pretty useless with a torn rotator cuff, so I could no doubt operate one of these better than the 7600.

I think I'll stick with my el cheapo Rossi 357 mag (the one in my avitar). 10x38+P+ rounds. I'd prefer a magazine load though, thats what I miss with the 7600.

MtGun44
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I got a chuckle out of that, but heck, why not? If it helps keep Mossberg in
business and satisfies customers, I am in favor of it.

Bill

quilbilly
03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
I have an "original" Mossberg 464 and it is a sweet shooter so if it shoots as well as the real thing and sells more rifles, more power to Mossberg. To me it is butt ugly but then I think inline muzzleloaders are ugly while sidelocks are a work of art but that is just me.

starmac
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
I think mossberg might have missed the bout here, it should have been belt fed.

northmn
03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
The label "tactical" seems to have a certain appeal. I remember seeing a can of "tactical" bacon for sale. Something like $19.00 per pound. In science fiction shows they often pull out some monstrous gun and work a pump for effect, why not a lever? Actually for home defense I will stay with my 12 bore Benelli. For other use my 32-20 or 35 Remington.

DP

9.3X62AL
03-29-2012, 02:29 PM
That's what happens when you keep the guns locked up in the safe together too long... looks like the offspring of an AR-15 and a Win. 94. " The Arewin 94"! Anything that sells drives the market. I guess ugly sells... but that won't last long.:coffeecom

THIS is what happens when rifles don't get the frequent attention they need--interbreeding. Open the safe door at least once a week, let some light in, handle a few occupants nicely.

If this is fusion cuisine, I'm in the wrong restaurant.

rexherring
03-29-2012, 05:34 PM
It's so ugly that I want one. I love oddballs.

Papa smurf
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
GOOD FOR MOSSBERG ! With this on the market it will keep the "G I Joe" guys from chopping up a good walnut stock on a "REAL" rifle and possably a classic . Way to go Mossberg! Good Shooting -------------------------------Papa Smurf

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Most folk seem to have turned their nose up at the Mossberg lever rifle. It is a fine rifle made by my long term Allies. I should buy one (I think I would pass on the tactical though). Now, pistol grip stock or straight?? The little 22 looks a bit goofy, but as like as not it would be a fine little rifle as well.
I'll see how I go when I sell a few rifles, as I'm having trouble closing the rifle safe's door, all three of them, not to mention the pistol safe, man thats a nightmare!!!! :( Heck! I go it baddddddddddddd!

Ziptar
04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
And I thought Rossi's 2011's Butt-Ugly Lever Gun offering was bad enough.... (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116266)

http://www.ziptar.com/Temp/rossi_circuit_judge_lever_action.jpg

Now I don't now which is uglier.... I guess it doesn't matter... 1st or 2nd neither one is a prize.

Whats with all of the ugly lever guns? You'd think with (orginal) Marlin now ruined and Remlin unable to produce all but a few (if at all) versions of the pistol caliber carbines, the competition would be falling all over themselves to take up the slack.

Instead we get this junk.

I will say that the Mossberg marketing folks completely missed the boat on this one, it wouldn't have taken much to cash in on the current craze.....

Heck even I could figure it out..... :grin:

http://www.ziptar.com/Temp/mossberg_LevAR_464_SPZE.jpg

:lol:

Four Fingers of Death
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Be prepared or be dinner! How did the lime green get into the Zombie business? I missed that one. I was talking to my friend who works in one of the major Sydney gunshops. He said they laughed when the zombie ammo was sent to them, but stopped laughing and got on the phone to order more as it just walked out the door! He was investigating Zombie camo for your guns, etc.

We bought some Zombie targets for our Christmas shoot! Huge success and a lot of fun. After 23+ years of law enforcement training and not having any real experience of IPSC, I had truble remembering to head shoot! Just went centre of mass when trying to go fast, lol.

The day was a huge success.

Just Duke
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
That is wrong in so many ways.. [smilie=b:

Four Fingers of Death
04-03-2012, 05:22 AM
The only reason I can see for that lever actioned Rossi is to sell it to countries where double action firearms are banned. It would be significantly easier to operate if they just left it as a double action revolver with a stock and long barrel (which is a model they sell as well). Otherwise, it seems as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.

By the way, when I was a yougn man, I was quiet a heavy smoker. I tried it on the motorbike once, yuk, supercharged smoking and ash everywhere you don't want it, lol. I got out of that habit at about 28yrs old and glad I did (smoking in general, that is not riding on motorcycles or smoking there upon :)).

pmeisel
04-07-2012, 08:06 PM
It's ugly, but as I tell my sons, be Christian, ugly girls need love too!

Dirty30
04-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Why not just buy an AR-15? If you are in an area where you can't own a semi-auto weapon, why not buy a regular Winchester or Marlin? All of the hero gear won't make it kill any better. I guess if you're a total geardo and a rifle is just a platform for all of the **** you buy than more power to you.

Four Fingers of Death
04-08-2012, 04:53 AM
I wouldn't mind this one in a standard plastic stock and forend with a spare round carrier on the butt, maybe with a small pictinnany rail underneath at the front of the forend for a torch and remove the flash eliminator while you are at it. Fit an unobtrusive ghost ring rear sight and I'm good to go, thanks. In that guise it would be an excellent, indestructable rifle.

Budmen
04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Ugly guns need homes too and I love them!!!

Yes I agree this is not practical or a good hunting gun but man its fun to look at. I would love to have this on my ugly wall it would not earn a spot on the wall by the levers. However I think it would earn a spot with the AR Berreta, and rossi revolving rifle.

I would really love to see it in the green Zombie edition but I figure thats just someones photo shop.....

As far as the Zombie in hornadys line who cares if they have ventured into a market that we all dont agree with it makes no difference Hornady still makes a great product. I just recieved 2k Zmax hornady bullets. With a little research you will find the Zmax bulllets have the expansion tip of the vmax with the copper plating technology of the amax. Sounds good to me for 65$ for 500. I wont hunt Zombie varmits but they should be great for the upcoming varmit season.

kenyerian
04-08-2012, 09:13 AM
I think that marketing to different segments of our diverse population makes perfect sense .if this appeals to people who are not interested in more traditonal guns than we have a new potential NRA member. my grandsons really like to shoot the variuos AR 15 clones and any auto matic pistol and are not excited at all with my contenders. I showed the youngest one the picture of the zombie 464 and he wants one .

starmac
04-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Me thinks they might be marketed and geared to folks that maybe shouldn't own a gun. lol

To each his own, I have never personally been caught up in the black gun craze, but feel thase that like them should have access to them.

Everybody thinks and does things different, I started my kids with single shots, both with rifles and shotguns, and moved up from there. My thinking was to learn that the first shot was basically the one that needs to connect.

John Taylor
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
It needs a drum magazine and a big loop lever. I wouldn't mind having one of the Rossis, they will be very rare long after I'm gone.

DLCTEX
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Add a vertical pistol grip and an phony extended mag and California will ban it. It's already got most of the "look" that will get "assault" rifles nixed there.

Hamish
04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
If the Rossi Circuit Judge was a person, it would be the Elephant Man!

I'l bet the 464 won't fit in your basic zippered soft case.

maglvr
04-08-2012, 11:41 PM
How many corks come with it???

x101airborne
04-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I am with 4FingersOfDeath on this one. Replace the rear stock for a standard plastic, maybe with a side-stock ammo carrier, add some ghost ring tritium sites, and make a plain thread cap to replace that birdcage. I dont even care about the fore-end. But I would like to see it in a pistol caliber. Maybe 454 casull? It would still shoot 45 colts, so win-win. Maybe even 45 ACP? That would be a great seller around here. And they would be the only one with a 45 acp levergun!

Lead Fred
04-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Someone finally found a gun uglier than Hilary Klinton.

x101airborne
04-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Now, no need to be that mean to a gun!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Ziptar
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Just to be clear......

The Zombie Edition is my photochop... It doesn't exist, I started with the "When it gets UGLY, you'll already be holding it!" Tagline and went from there. :D

However with two "I want it!"s so far in this thread it makes my point about the marketing folks missing the boat. Maybe someone should email this thread to Mossberg, they can maybe have them ready for Christmas. :D

starmac
04-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Just to be clear......

The Zombie Edition is my photochop... It doesn't exist, I started with the "When it gets UGLY, you'll already be holding it!" Tagline and went from there. :D

However with two "I want it!"s so far in this thread it makes my point about the marketing folks missing the boat. Maybe someone should email this thread to Mossberg, they can maybe have them ready for Christmas. :D

To bad, I thought it was an improvement. lol

Just Duke
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Not so.
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/M14/carrot-top.jpg

Heavy lead
04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
looking for a flinter 50 caliber with a quad rail and m-4 stock and flashhider, let me know if you all find one.

1bluehorse
04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
It's not on my "next to buy list" but it might just fit in with the more ..ummm, "modern" buyers idea of "combat" "SHTF" weapons that the less "traditional" types are buying today. (trying to be politically correct here) That may be good or not depending on your view, but some of these folks I've seen shooting just make me shake my head in wonder..but, I'm old and less tolerant than I use to be. I also think if Rossi would take that ridic.....uh, interesting looking lever of theirs and give it the same "do" that the Mossberg has it'd probably sell. Can ya picture it.......all black Judge with lazer in a chest holster over the body armor, matching Lever with rails, suppressor, 3 pt. harness, lights...oh yeah...... or maybe even camo?????? Cool.......ahhhhh, if I were just 40 years younger....:takinWiz:

IridiumRed
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
That Mossberg. Oh man.

Thats the SECOND gun that when I saw a pic of it, I thought someone had just photochopped it.

And, I t hought to myself, "that isn't even a GOOD photochop job!!!!!!"

The other gun, btw, was that abomination / abortion Taurus 410 revolving rifle....

Lets get this clear. I like a lot of "modern" guns, but I like old stuff too.

I've got a really nice AR10 that I love (POF P308).

Gas piston design (so it dissolves any complaints about DI operating systems being so dirty), match grade nitrided barrel (just as durable as chrome plating, maybe even more so, but w/o hurting accuracy). Top notch accuracy PLUS tons of durability & life, especially if you do rapid fire & get the barrel hot, the lifespan is WAY longer than a regular steel barrel. Basically a fully floated barrel (except for the gas piston, but its effects are minimalized).

Controls are almost fully ambidextrous, so it can be shot from either side. And its a got a folding / collapsible CAR15 / M4 type stock on it, which I LOVE. Why do I love it? Because I'm only 5'4" tall, with not very long arms. I NEED a short LOP to shoot well (12.5" seems to be my happy place with full size rifles).

I'm not a HUGE fan of having full rails up front, I do think its more "mall ninja" than I want, but...... at least it does give you a lot of mounting options, for sights, scopes, bipods, etc. And you can always put the covers over the rails to make them smooth...

So, I do love modern guns but love classics too. i think the Marlin 336 based levers are a great gun series (at least till REMLIN got their hands on them). 1886 / Mod 71 winchesters are poetry in motion too.

And, if I had to go "in harms way" I'd be very happy with a good M1 Garand. (great guns, so reliable, unbelievable how good the iron sights are for a stock military weapon!!). And if I had to, I wouldn't feel unarmed or "naked" with a good Finnish M39 either!!!!

Anyways!

Just wanted to give a bit of perspective on me & what I like. Having said all that, when I look at that Mossberg, I throw up a little in my mouth!!!!

gwpercle
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I think it's a gun designer inside joke....lets see how ugly of a gun we can design and then convince them ignorant fools with advertising hype that the latest tactical lever gun is somthing they cant live without, then we will laugh all the way to the bank when it sells like hot cakes.

But I got news for them, I dont think it's going to be a success. Don't they remember the ford edsel or new coke ? If you gave me the gun I would take it but I tend to take anything I'm given...wouldn't give $2.00 for it though.

I just don't see the need for all the attachments. and I'm thinking for self defense something in 32-20 , 38-40 , 44-40, or 44spcl./44 mag. would be better than 30-30 but thats me. And I don't think John Wayne would care for it either. and where is the loop lever it has to have one to be complete.

starmac
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
You guys just don't see the practicality for it.
It is built to hide, as in bury for those without the forsite to seal it in a piece of pvc pipe.
If one will just bury one and dig it up a few years later, it will not be any uglier.

0verkill
04-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Great next it'll be a tacticool Harper's Ferry rifle for those where only BP guns are allowed. Nothing like a Eotech and a Surefire on your flintlock - Right Andy ? Ric?

I think that one may jump to the top over the Mossberg.

Why not just buy an AR-15? If you are in an area where you can't own a semi-auto weapon, why not buy a regular Winchester or Marlin? All of the hero gear won't make it kill any better. I guess if you're a total geardo and a rifle is just a platform for all of the **** you buy than more power to you.

Because ARs don't come in 30-30. I've heard the 94 referred to as the Appilachian Assault Rifle many times, Mossberg missed the boat by not calling it the 464-AAR. Oh, and not offering a zombie edition with a coupon for two free boxes of Z-Max 30-30 ammo.

And how did day-glo green and zombies come to go hand in hand?

CALGOUGERS.NET
04-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Puke looks like tactical puke. Lord I hate the zombie motif