PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert

firefly1957
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I got a phone call today from 402 748 9625 claiming I had a problem with my computer they said they were a Microsoft contractor I played along until they wanted me to enter a remote assistance code . DO NOT DO THIS! I do not know what they can do but do not no it. I reported it to Microsoft they said it was a scam but could not tell me what would of happened.

I assume they got my phone number from online registration of my new laptop.

Stick_man
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
With that remote assistance code, you basically give them access into your computer. With it, they can take over control of your computer and then everything you had on it is either copied to a remote location, corrupted, or deleted. It is kind of like a lazy hacker asking permission to hack your computer. You did good by not entering the information.

Have you tried calling them back? Bet it is an invalid number.

nicholst55
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
http://www.google.nr/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=402+748+9625&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=402+748+9625&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=81e7ddcf5a0fecd2&biw=1280&bih=675

mktacop
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Area code 402 is for Omaha NE.....FYI

mnkyracer
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Someone tried this a couple of days ago at my home. They hung up quick when I informed them I have no internet access there.

Adam10mm
03-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Got a call yesterday from that number asking the same thing. I told them I only have an Apple computer, not a PC (which is true). They hung up.

NoZombies
03-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Odd that so many from the same board would be getting calls. No doubt someone spidered the board and collected phone numbers to call.

I have a sandboxed VM I could connect him to... I hope he calls me!

GabbyM
03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Odd that so many from the same board would be getting calls. No doubt someone spidered the board and collected phone numbers to call.

I have a sandboxed VM I could connect him to... I hope he calls me!

Not very odd when you know the volume of scam out there now days.

I've gotten to where I won't even give out my name over the phone.
After E*Trade moved there customer service to India I had to close my account after the third time it was hacked in under two years.

pdawg_shooter
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
I got that call at home a few weeks ago but when I said I dont have a home computer they hung up on me. Wonder why?

firefly1957
03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Freakshow I read a couple people said same thing when I Google the number. I am sure they were not in U.S. .

archmaker
03-30-2012, 07:30 AM
My rule, that I tell my clients. Have your people call support, support never calls them. This applies to computers and utilities and anybody else that pulls up to provide "support" (patch the roof, fix the meter, etc).

What they could have done is endless, trust me on this, hacking into places is how I make my living, except I don't use what I steal, I help them to get more secure.

And what I count on, when I social engineer people is them getting to know me, and trust me, and do something I want. Click on a liink, download a file, give me their username and password over the phone.

HodakaGA
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I've been getting a bunch of calls recently from area code 502 and 202 claiming to want to sell me a home security system. They barely grasp english, definately not Asian-Indians.

Assuming it was someone casing my home for a theft, I quickly told them every time I have a full security system already and a pair of pit bulls.