PDA

View Full Version : 22 WRF reamer to rent out?

x101airborne
03-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I will check on the gunsmithing forum also, but for all you rimfire guys... some background.

In 1994, Winchester made a run of 22 WRF ammo and my dad has an old pump that takes em. So he ordered 15 boxes of 50 from Cabelas or someplace like that. Well, they sent him 15 boxes of 250 rounds! Now we have shot maybe 30 rounds through this old pump in the last near 20 years and we are looking for a new weapon to use these 22 WRF rounds up in. I would like a pistol and have a large frame Dan Weson that has a cylinder long enough to handle the 22 Mag plus 3/8 inch. Now, I know the strength is there. And I would feel comfortable boring it out to 22 mag after we burn up some of this ammo. But.... I am not an educated gunsmith and I dont know much over what I have read on the net about the pressure differences between the rounds and would like some suggestions on if this is safe. I think it is.... But the operative word is "think". If this is a safe idea, does anyone have a reamer I could rent? I would rather not buy a reamer, if I could even find one I know what the reaction to the price would be. If anyone has one used that they would like to sell, I am interested. Thanks for yalls time.

Mk42gunner
03-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Google reamer rental or chamber reamer, they aren't all that expensive to rent. I personally would not try to do it with a drill bit.

Robert

rond
03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Just get a 22 mag. revolver and save some time. Ruger single six would work great.

pietro
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
+1 - Shoot them through ANY non-autoloading .22 Mag firearm, since the .22 WRF is to the .22 WRM like the .38 Special is to the .357 Magnum.

uscra112
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.4-dproducts.com/index.php

Check that URL. They have nearly everything.

Do NOT try to chamber with a drill. You will get a horribly rough chamber.

dwdw
03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi When I touch up a barrel or cylinder, I use a No.1 size straight flute reamer.
Not to expensive and you'll have it for ever.
McMaster-Carr has them for $14.06 stock # 8930A12.
I never opened up as much as you plan on but use plenty of cutting oil and a slow speed with very little feed.
Good Luck
dwdw