View Full Version : Problem with bullet puller

wallenba
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
This is an FYI kind of post. I recently bought 100 rounds of PRVI 150 gr SP 7.62x54r so I could have reloadable brass. I used this bullet puller http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5382 so that I would not deform the J bullets which my collet puller sometimes does. I want to use them in my Enfield. After pulling all the J's I examined the brass and found 11 cases with bashed case mouths. I first assumed that they got that way during factory loading and I just did not notice. WRONG! The puller has a rubber pad in the bottom to cushion the falling bullet. I now realize that the bullet actually is rebounding with enough force to hit and deform the case mouths. If you have one of these, use care not to let that happen.

bumpo628
03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Try using a foam earplug instead of the rubber insert (you may need to cut it to size).

hardy
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I use a small piece of TP,it does not have that" bounceability".Don,t ask how I know!! Be safe, Mike.

wallenba
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I used to use my 'green' one with my cast boolits, but it has four little gussets in the bottom that really messed them up. I started using a wadded up ball of tin foil jammed down in there.

GRUMPA
03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I use a small piece of TP,it does not have that" bounceability".Don,t ask how I know!! Be safe, Mike.

I tried that too and worked pretty well at that. Now I just use a cotton ball, the TP just kinda got torn to shreds real fast.

jim147
03-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Seat the bullet just a little bit deeper before you try pulling it. You won't have to beat near as hard on it.

jim

gwpercle
03-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Seating the bullet in about 1/16 in. breaks the sealant and or crimp thats on the bullet, makes it much easier to pull. Give the puller a couple good whacks then stop and look at where the bullet is at in relationship to how much is out of the neck. The idea is , once the bullet starts moving out, lighten up on the hard whacks. A few light TAPS will gently ease the bullet out without so much force it bounces back hard enough to dent the case. Go gently....gary

wallenba
03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Seat the bullet just a little bit deeper before you try pulling it. You won't have to beat near as hard on it.

jim

I had heard about doing that before, for other reasons, but did not recall it until you guys mentioned it again. That's the way to start, then go easy as stated.

hardy
05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I tried that too and worked pretty well at that. Now I just use a cotton ball, the TP just kinda got torn to shreds real fast.

Tell that to Sheryl Crowe!!!LOL

LUBEDUDE
05-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Here is proof that the bullet DOES indeed bounce back and hit the brass.

I was pulling a round nose bullet, and as you can see, it bounced back into the case mouth backwards, exposing the base!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_75704fa81dd2587a6.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5102)

Mike Kerr
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will put that in my little bag of tricks. Somehow I have never dented the brass before - even after pulling more bullets than I care to admit.

regards,

:-):-):-)

44Vaquero
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I have used them all TP, foam ear plug, cotton ball etc. The cotton ball works best!
Setting back the jacketed bullet 1st before pulling works great as stated above by jim147 and gwpercle.

geargnasher
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Try using a foam earplug instead of the rubber insert (you may need to cut it to size).

I use a wad of Dacron, but that's a good tip.

Gear

Lead Fred
05-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Your going to size your necks afterwards any way.

Ive used that same tool for 100s of rounds, and never have dented a case yet.

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow. My decades old RCBS kinetic bullet puller was just tapered at the bottom. No rubber "cushion". I've pulled hundreds of bullet without deformation.

HangFireW8
05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is proof that the bullet DOES indeed bounce back and hit the brass.

OK, a pic, I'm convinced.

I'm thinking, avoid bouncy stuff like rubber. Mine has a bunch of cotton gun cleaning squares in the bottom. Never had a problem with bounce-back.

HF