PDA

View Full Version : Who's looking for a Marlin '95CB?

45Driver
03-28-2012, 05:39 AM

TXBRILL
03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I have done business with these folks for over 20 years and I can say with no exception they are the finest and most honest people you will ever do business with. If these guys say its excellent you can bet your last dollar that it is excellent. They will stand behind anything they sell or say. I have no connection with them other than being a customer

45Driver
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM

starmac
03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Dumb question here. What is the difference in a 2002 cowboy in 47/70 and the new ones.
I am just curious as wallmart has new ones here for 707.

Rrusse11
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
45Driver,
Thanks for the heads up, I've emailed them and I'll give a call later this morning about the CB. Fingers crossed I'm in in time.
Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11
04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Dumb question here. What is the difference in a 2002 cowboy in 47/70 and the new ones.
I am just curious as wallmart has new ones here for 707.

Starmac,
Must be old stock, the model has been discontinued according to various sources. Since the takeover of Marlin by Remington, and the move of all the equipment from New Haven to Ilion, with none of the employees, their have been all kinds of issues with production and quality control.
Grab one as an investment, original "JM" proof stamped Marlins are climbing steadily in price, especially the rarer octagon barrel CB's.
As 45Driver has pointed out, they're commanding big prices on Gunbroker and the like, and they don't last long on the MarlinOwners forum.
Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11
04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Too late! Dang,,,,, even with their server down, and a shot in the dark phone call at 0800hrs CDT, I DID get an answer, I'm #5 on the waiting list.
So it goes,,,,,,,,,, the hunt continues.
Cheers all,
R*2

starmac
04-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Wall had two of the new production marlins on the counter today, a stainless 30/30 and a stainless big loop 45/70. these had the mr serials.
I looked the 45/70 over, it looked as good as marlins ever did, but they had a lock on the lever so I couldn't cycle it.

I had to leave my id laying on the counter to look it over, is that a store policy or is all wallmarts doing that.

Rrusse11
04-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Wall had two of the new production marlins on the counter today, a stainless 30/30 and a stainless big loop 45/70. these had the mr serials.
I looked the 45/70 over, it looked as good as marlins ever did, but they had a lock on the lever so I couldn't cycle it.

I had to leave my id laying on the counter to look it over, is that a store policy or is all wallmarts doing that.

Thanks Starmac for the hands on review, but no Marlin CB's, the 26" octagon straight grip version. I'll find one, part of the fun.
Cheers,
R*2

starmac
04-03-2012, 12:39 AM
They have a cb, I'm assuming 26 barrel, but it is old stock, new haven on the barrel and the serial starts with a number.

Rrusse11
04-03-2012, 01:04 AM
They have a cb, I'm assuming 26 barrel, but it is old stock, new haven on the barrel and the serial starts with a number.

Hey, cool! That's what I'm after! Should be a JM proof stamp them on the barrel, I'm sure with it marked New Haven, and numbered serial , it'll be proper Marlin manufacture.
Should be straight stock, no checkering. I wonder if they'd ship to the Walmart here, or to my local FFL.
Thanks for the info, possibly the best thing for me to do is to give the Walmart a call and see if I can get anybody amenable.
Thank you very much!
Richard

starmac
04-03-2012, 01:47 AM
It might be too late to do it this evening, but if you can't get the right person, I could go get the guys info or even give you a call from there tomorrow evening. The guy behind the counter this evening seemed like he had a little gun sense about him, which is sometimes something of a rarity. lol Their number is 907 451 9900 for the store, no separate listing for the sporting goods and he might still be there as I'm not sure what time they close the gun counter.

W.R.Buchanan
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
The serial number on that gun indicates a 2002 model. 100-98=02 $650 for that gun is NOT out of line. $750+ would be.

I'd say get it. It is a better looking gun than the 07 model I got.

The "rapidly increasing prices" on older Marlin rifles is highly exagerated. I haven't seen any evidence of it. There has always been idiots asking too much for anything on gunbroker. I call them Fishermen! Don't be the Tuna that jumps into their boat.

These are all generic guns so don't expect custom gun fit or function. It ain't there!!!

However with a little work at home they can be turned into very nice guns. Teh top one is my 1895 CB and the bottom one is a 1894 CB in .44 mag. both reworked and refinished by me.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
On sites like the Marlin Owners site This sale would be all the evidence needed to show they are right.

However the one that started this thread shows there are plenty out there in the more reasonable price range. So It would seem to me,they are NOT right!

My gun cost $525! and there is no way I would own one if I had to pay $1000 or even $800 for it. they are just not worth that much in their current form. I wouldn't even pay $800 for my refinished and completely reworked gun.

There was a highly reworked 1895 Guide Gun on Guns America late last year. It was completely redone by Brockmans including high dollar sights and action job, bead blast black finish, big loop lever etc etc and a set of Brockmans $400 laminated stocks.

It went for $700 after sitting on the site for 5 months. I should have bought it as I wanted a guide gun. It was actually worth $700,,,, IMHO

There is no rhyme nor reason about what certain guns sell for. It is all about what someone is willing to pay and how bad they want it. IE in the case of the $1000 1895 CB the fisherman caught a tuna and landed him. He easily "Netted" $350+ off that sale above the initial cost of the gun, and more if he was a dealer.

To say "everyone should be willing to pay X amount", will only be true if the product holds up in the market place. This product has a long way to go before that is true.

My across the street neighbor has a 1957 Porsche 356A coupe. It is complete trash,,, I mean left outside in the weather for 20 years, not running, not complete,,, Junk! And yet there is a guy trying to buy it and he is offering them $30K! He restores Porsches and it is worth $100K after resto. So there is plenty of money to be made because this is a rare car,,, NOW! IE;demand has outstripped supply, and they don't make 1957 Porsches any more. I could have bought one in virtually new condition in 1975 for $2000. They were everywhere.

It will take along time for Marlin guns to reach this status, mainly because they are making them again and it is only a matter of time before they make a run of 1895CB's which will reset the prices back to whatever retail/wholesale prices are.

We don't need to argue about this. it is,what it is,,,, and it affects neither one of us. This is America and people can pay whatever they want for what they want. Or NOT. I personally ,,, won't, there is just too many to choose from.

Randy