PDA

View Full Version : Making Cheap Mosin Stripper Clips Work Well

Josh Smith
03-28-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi Folks,

So many Chinese stripper clips are being sold today that it's hard to find the older ones that actually work well. Got to playing around with the design of the Chinese commercial version and came up with a way to make it work.

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/cheap%20stripper%20clip%20fix%20still.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pcWQ7J_Nw)
Opens new window.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Josh

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2012, 06:08 AM
I saw another two videos and they just used the cheapo clips, but were careful loading them. They worked fine as well.

I like the way he made it ping out like a Garand clip though.

NuJudge
03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I have no idea what alloy the Chinese used to make them, but would guess it was some low carbon steel. Quenching them from red hot will probably get you some martensite in its microstructure, and some increase in hardness. If harder and smooth, it ought to help. If there is enough carbon to give 100 percent Martensite, it would likely be brittle.

The Chinese clips of recent manufacture I have tried would not even begin to fit in the clip guides when full of ammo, in my Polish or Finnish Mosins. My old Bulgarian and Finn clips, no problem.

I find it helps to be pushing the cartridges down near the clip with my thumb, while at the same time using the tip of my index finger to pull up a little on the tip of the bullet of the cartridge on top.

Four Fingers of Death
03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
"I find it helps to be pushing the cartridges down near the clip with my thumb, while at the same time using the tip of my index finger to pull up a little on the tip of the bullet of the cartridge on top."

That is what all of the guys seemed to do in the videos as well. The guy you gave us a link to actually got them to spring out like a Garand clip, but the others just used the standard el-cheapo clips and while they didn't "sproing!" out of the guide, they seemed to work well enough.

If they don't fit into the charger guides, that is definetely a problem.