PDA

View Full Version : Lead score

acfixerdude
03-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Scored at my local scrap yard today. Bought 200lbs of soft lead for $0.25/lb in the form of old gutters, roofing, pipes, high voltage wire sheathing, etc. I'll have to go back with more cash. :mrgreen:

Now I just need a non-paranoid roommate so I can smelt at home. In the mean time, I may have to smelt at a friends house or something. :violin:

a.squibload
03-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Good price!
Would your roomy be OK with smelting outdoors?
Be sure he/she knows that lead won't jump up and bite,
and in storage as a metal it's innocuous. Invertebrate?
What's the word I'm looking for? Pretty safe anyway.

acfixerdude
03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
That's where I was smelting the first (and only) time here and she threw a fit. There's no reasoning with this woman. I might be able to get away with smelting in the ally... Like I said before, completely paranoid.

Jon
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
It sounds like you need a new roommate.

How are you smelting? If you're using a bottom pour pot, it might seem a little less of a big deal. WW go in the top, lead comes out the bottom.

Best of luck either way.

rayv
03-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Good price!
Would your roomy be OK with smelting outdoors?
Be sure he/she knows that lead won't jump up and bite,
and in storage as a metal it's innocuous. Invertebrate?
What's the word I'm looking for? Pretty safe anyway.

Inert? (And if so .... what does ert mean?) :-)

a.squibload
03-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Inert? (And if so .... what does ert mean?) :-)

Thanks, that's it.

Ert, noun, "the condition of being uninert".;)

acfixerdude
03-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Definitely need a new roommate... Picked up the last of the lead today, another 305lbs for a total of 505lbs.

I'll have some ingots for sale around this weekend. Can't post yet on trading post though.

Ole
03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Ask her if she wants to help. :mrgreen:

runfiverun
03-30-2012, 01:35 AM
eeeert?.... that's the sound i would have made if i were told not do do something like this by my long time room mate.

acfixerdude
03-30-2012, 02:11 AM
I moved my 550lbs of lead to a research center I work at and have it locked up. I tried melting it all down with a turkey fryer but it would not get hot enough to keep it all liquid. I ended up with a hard surface of lead above molten lead and the two weren't even touching. Time to find a higher btu output burner.

acfixerdude
03-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Btw, having 550lbs of lead, mostly towards the back, makes for a bumpy ride in a bottomed out dodge neon, lol.

bumpo628
03-30-2012, 02:30 AM
I moved my 550lbs of lead to a research center I work at and have it locked up. I tried melting it all down with a turkey fryer but it would not get hot enough to keep it all liquid. I ended up with a hard surface of lead above molten lead and the two weren't even touching. Time to find a higher btu output burner.

Or a smaller pot

acfixerdude
03-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Or a smaller pot

That would definitely help there... would also be easier to handle. What's cheap and strong? I miss my lee 20lb furnace, even though I know its a no-no to put dirty lead in there.

bumpo628
03-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Just go to a thrift store and look for a small stainless steel pot. You can probably pick it up for a few dollars and give it a shot.